mcarterbrown.com

MCB Reviews It MCB Reviews it! Have a review of a new gun, or old gun you just tried? New Mask or Gear? Let us know what you think.

Old 07-25-2012, 05:01 PM   #1 (permalink)

JT Splatmaster z100 review

So, went on down to my local Wally world today and bought the new JT Splatmaster z100 pistol and some paint. Total cost of the trip, $46.73 (bought Drano and a Mt. Dew, the latter very important. You can not buy a Splatmaster marker without buying a Mt. Dew!)

Right off the bat, I had a few problems with the marker, and I hadn't even opened it yet! Kee does not supply paint with the marker! This is very important because some people just won't look at the box. You would think that there would be a right out of the box play set up with even like 20 or so paintballs. Just something to use. The only paintballs they had were the 500 canteen container, which was $15.

Now, after getting it home, and opening it up, I realized that the marker does not come with goggles. I have searched over the box and did not see anything that said I had to supply my own goggles. Also, the Wal-Mart I purchased mine from did not have any of the Splatmaster goggles in stock. Now, for people who have their own marker, we have our own goggles, ones that are better than the Splatmaster ones most likely, but a lot of people are buying this as a "toy" for their kids, so safety should be a top priority. With JT being so strong on goggles (it was their way into the paintball market) you would think they would have supplied something, even if it was a pair of shop glasses.

What is included in the box is a blue pistol with one magazine, a cleaning stick, a cocking handle, a target, barrel blocking device and a set of instructions with game ideas on the back. Operation is easy, hit the magazine eject button, lower and lock the spring in place, hold down the ball holder and load in 7 rounds. After you are done, load the magazine back into the marker, pull back the slide, push it forward, make sure safety is off, aim and pull the trigger. To load the next round, pull back and push forward again. The spring is strong enough to propel the paintball forward, but not too strong that a 10 year old won't be able to use the marker.

To make cocking easier, Kee has supplied a cocking handle that attatches to the back of the slide. This is completely worthless. No matter how I tried, I couldn't get it to stay on. It kept sliding off whenever I would pull back. If you can get this to work, it would be great for younger kids (age 6-9), but pointless for 10 and older.

Accuracy is actually very good. The box says that distance is 100+ feet, but I was only able to get them to go around 60-70 with a slight angle at around 5' off the ground. The sights on the marker are actually decent, and once I started using them, I only missed my target once at around 50'.

Overall, I am quite pleased with the pistol, and I look forward to seeing more products from Kee, including possible accessories for the markers. Mostly, I would like to see magazines for the z100, and some sort of 15 round tube for the z200. Also, I hope that Kee will add goggles of some sort to the z100 package that way we can teach kids early about safety. The price was $25, but I expect prices to drop the longer the markers are out. With the release date being today, it's understandable why the price is as high as it is.

Here's a vid for those who feel like watching instead of reading (I apologize for rambling in the beginning.):
http://youtu.be/hS8RntRABqM

Edit:
Finally figured out how to open it up. It's actually a lot easier than it seems, and the internals are actually quite nice. The spring has a decent width of the coils, as well as a decent distance between. The breech is so easy, but ingenious. Overall, it's built not to break. Kee went pretty KISS on the internals, so there shouldn't be any problems down the road.

Also, gave the cocking handle another try and finally got it to work. Thing is, I didn't do anything differently, I was following the vid even before I saw it, but this time it went on no problem. So, I guess it's just a pain to get on. With the cocking handle, it is ridiculously easy to cock, so I see no reason why a younger kid (around 6) wouldn't be able to use this.

Last edited by chrisrook; 07-27-2012 at 11:46 AM.
chrisrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 02:10 AM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisrook View Post
To make cocking easier, Kee has supplied a cocking handle that attatches to the back of the slide. This is completely worthless. No matter how I tried, I couldn't get it to stay on. It kept sliding off whenever I would pull back. If you can get this to work, it would be great for younger kids (age 6-9), but pointless for 10 and older.
Hi Chrisrook

I noticed your review and was wondering if maybe the support arm that locks the cocking handle into place was missing from your box?

I have used the cocking handle a lot and have never had any problems.

Here's a video I just did on my ipad for you so you can see what the piece looks like. - Adding Cocking Handle To JT SplatMaster Z100 Pistol - YouTube

Thanks
Junior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 07:44 AM   #3 (permalink)

The cocking handle was complete, but it just never stayed in place.
Old 07-26-2012, 01:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
(V) (o,,,o) (V) WOOP WOOP

Sounds like this is a product ruined by JTs money grabbing ways.

This is the tenth line of my signature
foughtwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 03:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
Straight 6 DID Bust!

I like it. My sister wants to play paintball, I think this might be up her alley.
Kermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 03:30 PM   #6 (permalink)

I still suggest it. It's actually very nice. Still trying to open it up and see if I can get a little more power out of it so that I can use it more reasonably at my local field. If I can get it to at least 200fps, i'd be happy and know that I can feasibly play at my field with it.
Old 07-26-2012, 04:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
Post Whore

CCM Fan
Whoa I am kind of blown away that we have a pro player within our ranks and that he is a supporting member here at MCB! I find the lack of paint and especially goggles kind of disturbing, you would think that JT/KEE could work out a starter package that included marker, gogs and say 50 rounds for $40 for the pistol pack and $55 for shotgun pack.
Just my .02 and this seems like the next Christmas gift for 4 year old nephew and his older bother. Which also brings me to another suggestion, release a dual pack so families could play together without having to shell out $40+ per player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmartin View Post
i think you will be fine. Fed Ex was always good to me until my wifes dog bit the driver. they usually don't avoid you unless they have a reason.
p8ntninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 05:14 PM   #8 (permalink)

I expect a dual pack will be released eventually. Don't forget, these only officially hit the market yesterday. After posting this, I hit up their online site and saw that they had the other quantities of paint, a holster and extra rounds available and ready to ship. Maybe by Christmas time we'll see another marker, a starter set, and possibly a dual starter set on the market. I expect these to be big this Christmas, possibly even one of the must get items for boys. Does anyone know what JT/Kee is doing for advertising? Like, are they showing commercials on any of the big kids channels?
Old 07-26-2012, 05:45 PM   #9 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisrook View Post
I still suggest it. It's actually very nice. Still trying to open it up and see if I can get a little more power out of it so that I can use it more reasonably at my local field. If I can get it to at least 200fps, i'd be happy and know that I can feasibly play at my field with it.
they are only meant to go up to 110-140fps
Arson24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 06:01 PM   #10 (permalink)
Thick

Send a message via AIM to HurtCow

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Palmers Fan
So it fires the paintball solely on spring pressure? Seems more like a backyard toy.

If I hurt your feelings or otherwise offended you, click here.
HurtCow is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » MCB Reviews It