mcarterbrown.com  

MCB Reviews It MCB Reviews it! Have a review of a new gun, or old gun you just tried? New Mask or Gear? Let us know what you think.

Old 10-01-2012, 09:17 AM   #1 (permalink)
Sic Itur Ad Astra

Send a message via MSN to Falcon16 Send a message via Skype™ to Falcon16

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Mediasonic MTP-710 (android tablet)

Hey guys figured I'd review my android tablet for any of you looking for a decent 7 inch tablet that won't tip the scales at nearly $300.

So first off to explain why I have this tablet as opposed to say a Nexus 7. Well that's easy I went to buy a Nexus 7 and my buddy that works at the store I was buying from asked me simply what would I be using the tablet for. I use tablets for basic surfing,watching netflix,maybe the odd game or 2 and not much else. So he said well we do have Nexus 7's but you'll never use all the features.

He then showed me the unit I'm reviewing today. it's a 7 inch tablet with a 1.2Ghz Cortex A8 processor 1GB of DDR3. 8GB of storage (expandable to 32GB via SD card slot), runs Android 4.04 and was priced at an attractive $119

So there's the tech specs. Obviously it won't hold a candle to the quad core tegra 3 in the Nexus 7 but wait a minute it has features the Nexus 7 doesn't at 1/3 the price.

First is that it has mini HDMI built right in, not even the 16GB $260 Nexus 7 has that. Secondly it supports SD cards so you expand your memory if you want to stay store movies or what have you. The Nexus 7 has NO SD card slot at all. Last but not least on the fronts that this little gem wipes the floor with the Nexus 7 is in the fact it ships with a mini USB to full size USB dongle cable and is capable out of the box of running a great variety of 3G data sticks. So If you wanted to you could get data services on this tablet very easily without having to tether to a smartphone. The Nexus 7 well you get the picture. Last but not least it does have a 0.3mp front facing camera for skype video chatting which works quite well in my testing.

I almost forget it also comes packaged with a very nice black folio style case right out of the box too. Obviously Mediasonic really was thinking when they put this package together.

So that's the hardware portion. I guess now you're all wondering what's the UI and user experience like right? Well the UI is a stock ICS 4.04 so it doesn't have any bloatware or anything. It comes with some useful apps preinstalled skype,msn messenger, apk installer all of which I would have installed anyways so I was happy with that. Unlike most <$150 tablets it also runs teh play store instead of some cheap chinese knock off so that was another huge score for this tablet. Only app I had troubles with was Netflix and after some research I found out it had nothing to do with the tablet or it's hardware not being capable the newest update of netflix is borked (which I didn't know since i'm still running 1.8.1 on my S2x). I got around this by going to XDA devs and getting a build of 1.8.1 that was actually better than stock it has rotation enabled so you can watch in either landscape or portrait mode.

A last point I'll point out as well is if you're a Canadian reading this buying this tablet is supporting a Canadian company Mediasonic IIRC is based out west somewhere

I guess bottom line in this review is don't count this little tablet out of the running if you're in the market simply because it's not Asus or Acer or Samsung or even Google branded. It's a great way to save money and get an amazing sometimes better than the $300 tablets user experience all while keeping your money in Canada (this point I guess is only big for the Canadians).

link for those of you that might not have a local distributor

Mediasonic Android ICS 4.0 Tablet 7in Capacitive A10 Cortex A8 1.2GHZ 1GB 8GB HDMI MicroSD Cam

if you check the mediasonic website it also breaks down distributors by Province as well.

Feedback +35/-0
Click here to email me
My youtube channel
My downsizing/cleaning house sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApoC_101 View Post
Pump paintball is cheaper than any drug habit I've ever heard of.
Falcon16 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » MCB Reviews It