mcarterbrown.com  

MCB Reviews It MCB Reviews it! Have a review of a new gun, or old gun you just tried? New Mask or Gear? Let us know what you think.

Old 02-07-2013, 01:16 AM   #1 (permalink)
DSA
One in the Pipe!

Send a message via Skype™ to DSA

CCM's SR-1 Opinion

CCM SR-1 Sniper Rifle SN007

Specifications:
Mfg. Chipley Machine aka CCM
Platform: Bolt Action
Feed: Single shot shell ejecting casing
Power Source: 12gm C02 or HPA
Length: To be determined by you
Weight: To be determined by you, mine 7lbs 10.5oz
Barrel length: 14in unrifled
Projectiles: Paintballs, Re-Balls, First Strike rounds, Buggers
Cost: $450.00-$600.00

First Thoughts:

Precision machined body, competition fluted match barrel, tight tolerances, hard anodized.....thats it?

The SR-1 Journey:

Like many of you, the journey began for me when Bill Holstein decided to make "his" gun. What started as a thread on this money pit we all know and love evolved into something really evolutionary in design. Over the course of a couple of years the good folks at CCM kept us informed and even joined in the discussion on a regular basis. This in turn led to a slow but continued build up of anticipation.

Manufactures take note, this is how you create a classic!

Step 1) Design a killer concept that everyone wants, especially if they don't know it!

Although CCM is known for delivering World Class craftsmanship their target audience in my opinion has always been tournament oriented. That being said, CCM could afford to rest on their laurels and play it safe. Why take a chance and venture into unsafe territory? Doing so and failing could prove costly, especially in today's economy. I mean seriously these guys do a great job selling to the bright colored jersey crowd, what are they thinking right?

Although I don't fall in the latter, I'm no Mil-Sim'er either. If you've read any of my threads, 99% are Stock Class in nature. The other 1% is just gibberish babbling that causes the mods heartache on a regular basis. So you may ask why I even ventured into CCM's cyber turf, they don't do Nelson, so I don't need their product, right.........

Step 2) Redesign, refine, trash, start over, redesign, refine and deliver what the masses want, even if they don't know it.

If you have followed the evolution of the SR-1 you know exactly what I'm talking about and that is exactly what those crazy engineers at CCM did.

If you haven't followed the thread start Here. I suspect you will discover that the original design was spectacularly simplistic with a touch of innovation sprinkled in for good measure. That being said, the finished product truly evolved into something special.

Step 3) Keep your customers informed by interacting with them on a regular basis.

In my opinion what sets CCM apart is what makes CCM one of the top customer oriented companies in the paintball industry. They communicate with their audience and more importantly accept feedback in order to bring the best possible product to you the buying public.Because of this interaction, although I have never personally met them, I feel as if I know them. Therefore, I am more inclined to buy their product, at least that is how I felt interacting with everyone.

As the concept evolved one was hard pressed not to think all the SR-1 threads weren't created in an effort to maximize future sales, you'd be wrong. The SR-1 was honestly one man's quest to create the perfect Sniper platform. What Bill may not have bargined for was a pack of loyal cyber stalkers who logged in daily for updates and kept the phones ringing.

Step 4) Deliver over the top functionality while breaking new ground in concept design.

If you are new to paintball, you might think the phrases "over the top functionality" and "concept design" refer to what some old timers call the arms race. I mean seriously, with today's boards, rate of fire and "on the fly" switches; what else could it mean? Some might even think mag-feed might qualify. Sure mag-design is still in its infancy and is improving with every new mil-sim marker that has seen the light of day. It's cool as all get out and adds a touch of realism for a vast majority of would be weekend warriors, but adding to the heard is hardly ground breaking and not the direction Bill wanted for "his" gun. Manufactures you must break new ground or design a concept that improves ones performance on the field.

"The SR-1wont shoot further or straighter than any other well tuned paintball gun, what it will do is refine the shooters skills to the point of perfection because of its simplistic nature."

I like to think being a former US Army Drill Sergeant and a graduate of the Ft. Benning's Marksmenship Unit Trainer Course gives me a special insight into marksmanship training and into improving ones shooting skills. In my opinion the SR-1 is an invaluable tool in accomplishing the later. If one can master the field with the single shot CCM SR-1, imagine what you could accomplish with a higher ROF shooter.

Paradigm Shift:

"Bill is fond of telling everyone he built "his" gun. But what this sly devil didn't tell you is that he built "everyone's" gun. Instead of shipping you what the SR-1 should be, he ships you what the SR-1 "could" be."

What sets the SR-1 aside from any marker I have ever owned is it's lack of direction. I mean think about it, manufactures dictate design to the unsuspecting masses with simple nuances like grip choice and feed options. In the early years, just about every paintball gun came stock with a Lone Star or Nelson style grips. So the choice was simple "tactical or fun?" Sure, the buyer could search his local gun shop or mall for aftermarket options but the pickings were slim, after all the internet had yet taken off yet. So for most of the players these things were dictated to us, even if we didn't realize it at the time. Blowbacks although creative with their beautiful color schemes continued to dictate the direction of the finished product as did the electro's. Although they were unlike anything that has ever graced our sport, at the end of the day the only choice left to the purchaser was Dracell or Energizer. Somewhere in between Tippmann set the ground work for what Mil-Sim would be defined by and life was good or was it.......

"For me what sets the SR-1 aside from anything that has been was its lack of direction of what the finished product will be. It is something I didn't quite understand until I got knee deep into it. Something that truly wasn't appreciated until I took the journey."

Enter the Three Horsemen

If I ever met a group of stand up guys I would have to include Shadawg, Crimson Death and The $aint. While the rest of us were waiting on the first run, these guys set things in motion. In all honesty, I wasn't sure what I was expecting. Maybe three Tippmann look alike's, who knows? Instead what we got was three SR-1's with their own unique personalities. Sure, they were identical leaving the factory, but by the end of that first day we were all greeted with three surprisingly different concepts.

"What Bill delivered was, by all definitions, one hell of a fun trip to the gun shop."

Opinions we all have them:

By now your either playing catch up on the Original Thread and are scratching you head wondering what happened the the mag-feed version. Although I have no real statistics, I would say more than half of the original thread followers were of the opinion that a shell fed magazine loaded SR-1 would have been the best direction for the initial project.

These folks might fall into the ROF mindset that faster is better in order to compete with their T2 toting adversaries. I mean really, who in their right mind would want to limit their chances of competing on in the field? Fret not mag-feeders, rumor has it the SR-2 is already whirling around in those kooky engineers heads over at CCM. If you have ever shot a well tuned RAM-43, the "clink, clink", of casing hitting the ground have you salivating at what the SR-2 might become.

Mil-Sim or is it?.

For many, the term Mil-Sim is a turn off, much like batteries to Nel-spoter's, it just turns some folks green. For those of you on the fence keep in mind the SR-1 is anything but mil-sim. The SR-1 is what you want it to be and that is the real genius behind the concept. So far the vast majority appear mil-sim in nature, but look around, thus far we have several AR variants, match type sniper rifles complete with digital range finders, a machine pistol concept and even a Space Gun.

As for me, I choose to stick with my interests and went with the tactical Zombie Hunter look, but there is so much more there than meets the eye. At first glance, what appears to be your ordinary walking dead splatter gun capable of meeting Carl's standard of self defense, is in actuality a very sophisticated platform. In essence, that is what the SR-1 is all about, a unique experience with a personalized touch. If the iSniper Concept is any indication of how unique one can make the SR-1 their own, then I can't wait to see what you all make of it. It really is a platform that can be built upon, refined and redefined. In this day and age of bigger, faster and more, the CCM SR-1 is a refreshing change.

Last Thoughts....

Sure, my motto is "One in the Pipe" and I find it truly challenging to engage the opposition in this fashion. But at the end of the day "One in the Pipe" is only a pump stroke from another one in the pipe. What sets the SR-1 aside from anything that has ever come before was innovation in concept design and I'm not talking about bolt action, shell fed. I am talking about the totality of the concept. The SR-1 truly epitomize's the phrase "One in the Pipe!"

SR-1 References:

Customization

Optics

iSniper Concept

Trinity's Sniper Blog

Tips and Tricks

The SR-1 Story so far

Paintball Sniper Forum

As for the review, make it your own.......

Note: I apologize for the lack of new photos. I meant to post this review prior to the holidays and couldn't get around to taking new photos, but I wanted to share my thoughts with you all.

My Feedback Redux Knowledge Base My Email Line SI Knowledge Base
Quote:
Originally Posted by russc View Post

All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to shoot nothing.

Last edited by DSA; 03-25-2013 at 11:51 PM.
DSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:27 AM   #2 (permalink)
Fortune and Glory

Send a message via AIM to Crimson Death

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Nice write up DSA. Like I said before I'd gladly be your spotter in some sniper vs sniper action hehe.
Crimson Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:49 AM   #3 (permalink)
Formerly Floundah

CCM Fan
I wish my field did first strikes :/

Great review man!
MEDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
DSA
One in the Pipe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Death View Post
Nice write up DSA. Like I said before I'd gladly be your spotter in some sniper vs sniper action hehe.
Amigo, thick or thin we are doing our best to be at D-Day this year. I need to find a good commander who understands the sniper role and wants a straight shooter on their side. You my good friend are more than welcome to join me.

Last year I had struggles with a co-worker who pulled the union card on me then didnt even go on leave during that week. I have told the boss I am off that week regardless of staffing.

Quote:

Old 02-07-2013, 02:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
Fortune and Glory

Send a message via AIM to Crimson Death

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSA View Post
Amigo, thick or thin we are doing our best to be at D-Day this year. I need to find a good commander who understands the sniper role and wants a straight shooter on their side. You my good friend are more than welcome to join me.

Last year I had struggles with a co-worker who pulled the union card on me then didnt even go on leave during that week. I have told the boss I am off that week regardless of staffing.

D-Day can't happen for me this year for sure. Come out to any OXCC event. We'll shoot people all day long muwahahha!
Crimson Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 02:57 PM   #6 (permalink)
Not one of the cool kids

I'll be at D-day this year, Sr-1 in hand. If playing for zee germans sounds like fun, shout me a holler down. My DMS teamate is Covert Ops, is commander of the 716th. We have a lovely beach and town to defend. I cannot wait to pop the maroon monkeys coming off of the drop ships with firstsrikes this year.What was fun with the double trouble should be downright orgasmic with the Sr-1.
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
MCB Member

This is all fine and dandy, but how the heck do you get one?
kospauste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:31 PM   #8 (permalink)
DSA
One in the Pipe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kospauste View Post
Maybe CCM will chime in because I'm not sure. I can tell you if you are really interested (cash in hand) you have a better chance of getting one.

Quote:

Old 02-07-2013, 09:15 PM   #9 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by kospauste View Post
InBLACK at Modern Intel has my original SR1.

He played Canadian Carnage last year with it. I haven't heard about this year as of yet.

If he is close to you give him a shout.

We won't be making anymore for awhile. I don't even have a date in mind at this time.
“Do not yearn too much for a sword made by a famous smith. This is because even if you give a good man a sword worth ten thousand coppers, he will not be able to beat a hundred men each holding a spear worth a hundred coppers.” - Asakura Takakage Toshikage, 1462-1482

Ecc. 9-10
Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with your might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave, where you go.

DOOR GUNNER handgun mounts for gunsafes.

http://www.machineshopdpm.com/
CCMachinist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:16 PM   #10 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
I'll be at D-day this year, Sr-1 in hand. If playing for zee germans sounds like fun, shout me a holler down. My DMS teamate is Covert Ops, is commander of the 716th. We have a lovely beach and town to defend. I cannot wait to pop the maroon monkeys coming off of the drop ships with firstsrikes this year.What was fun with the double trouble should be downright orgasmic with the Sr-1.

How has your gun been shooting?
“Do not yearn too much for a sword made by a famous smith. This is because even if you give a good man a sword worth ten thousand coppers, he will not be able to beat a hundred men each holding a spear worth a hundred coppers.” - Asakura Takakage Toshikage, 1462-1482

Ecc. 9-10
Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with your might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave, where you go.

DOOR GUNNER handgun mounts for gunsafes.

http://www.machineshopdpm.com/
CCMachinist is online now   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » MCB Reviews It