mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   MCB Reviews It (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/mcb-reviews/)
-   -   valken proton-my thoughts so far (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/mcb-reviews/230348-valken-proton-my-thoughts-so-far.html)

someasianballer 04-02-2013 01:31 AM

valken proton-my thoughts so far

Well i decided to pick one up just because i felt the need to have a back up.

i will upload pics soon, just wanted to put my thoughts out first.

Anyways, it comes in a card board box with a foam cut out. In the box u get your barrel (.689 or .690), barrel bag, small parts bag (orings, detents), and a manual

I dont use stock barrels, i tend to use my Ul .688 99% of the time.

Ergonomics: This thing is light. I mean stupid light. If i remember my old g6r right this thing is slightly lighter. The spacing between the forgrip and trigger frame is a comfortable distance. Its not cramped the spacing is about the same as an axe or etha if memory serves right. The frame and trigger is what sold me on it. It is way more comfortable than the axe (i prefer similar to 45 degree frames like UL or Ego then the axe frame angle). Also the asa is small so you can use the one finger for psp comfortably without trying to cram your hand between the trigger guard and asa.

The trigger is all preference. Some like blade style triggers some like sythe. I like it.

Shot: nice spool shot. Honestly its a bit louder than your typical spool and there is a small slam feeling on the recoil. It shoots very similar to a geo+ in short.

Barrel rise: there is a bit of barrel rise. Then again most spools i have owned (owned 2 PM's, and 2 Dm's and have shot clones and geo's and geo 2s) have a slight barrel rise.

Feedneck: I thought this was a good idea. The feedneck is female threads and the body is male. Honestly i rather have this because in the event the feed neck breaks, i can use a wrench to take the other half off instead of digging the rest of the threads out of the body. Also its a clamping feedneck. Feels sturdy unlike the stock axe one.

ASA: Typical on/off, nothing fancybut, it is attached via dove tail rail instead of being just bolted on. I can simply mod other asa's and slap it on which could give me a longer set up which i prefer.

Board: Simple board. Not hard to program. You will need to glimpse at the manual to figure out. The one button to change modes on the fly is pretty neat. and the On/off switch is...a new twist, but nothing annoying. The On/Off button is hold "on" by an oring and trying to turn it off by bumping my fingers is pretty difficult. You could bump the button off by diving on top of a rock and probably hurting yourself. haha

BUT...I did notice something. On two separate boards, on Unlocked semi at default 25 bps, it works just fine. When you try to cap the bps on Unlocked semi, it seems like the board will not read. I dont know why and im in the process of contacting valken about it.

This may happen to you or may not. It just happened to me. Everything else works fine.

Maintenance: smear some oil on the orings mainly the 3 moving ones. thats it. You can also put a couple of drops in the asa and dry fire it to lube it. The HPR is user serviceable which is fricken awesome to me.

Reliablility: Only 3 dynamic orings. Less moving orings the better for me. Think geo with the dynamic oring being as small as a timmy or ego ram oring and uses oil.

My personnel opinion: Its a poor man's geo+. At the Price point of 325 and shoots smoother than the etha, its great. If your looking for a cheap back up or a budget gun, i highly urge you to consider the proton.

sidenote, the frame is super beefy. almost no flex in it. way more solid then the etha (feeling wise)

here are some pics compared to an etha:
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/e...ps00229c74.jpg

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/e...psce535c77.jpg

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/e...ps38467b05.jpg

If you have any questions please ask, or even put your input. My feelings wont get hurt by anything.

EDIT: efficiency test-

tank cooled to 3900 psi
-marbilizer (.686-4)
-UL .688
-chrono'd to 280-285 fps

5 pods 1 full z2 prophecy with 1000 psi left on a 68/45

shot another full z2 with that last 1000 then stopped

PistolRogue 04-02-2013 02:33 AM

I agree on pretty much all points. To be honest, for the money, the features, performance, build/machining quality, and fit/finish you get in the Proton makes me wonder why anyone would ever spend an extra $100 on the Axe.

someasianballer 04-02-2013 02:37 AM

Honestly performance wise the axe blows it out if the water but at the cost of ergonomics and costing more. Yeah. Not worth it.

K_Obeastly 04-02-2013 06:52 AM

Quote:

(i prefer similar to 45 degree frames like UL or Ego then the axe frame angle
sorry, this always bugs me. It's not a 45* angle frame. 45 frames are named that because they are shaped like and take the same grip panels as a colt 45. When the eclipse calls it a 45 frame, they are wrong, 45 grip panels take 2 screws on each side, not 3.

someasianballer 04-02-2013 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by K_Obeastly (Post 2672167)
sorry, this always bugs me. It's not a 45* angle frame. 45 frames are named that because they are shaped like and take the same grip panels as a colt 45. When the eclipse calls it a 45 frame, they are wrong, 45 grip panels take 2 screws on each side, not 3.

Yes ur right. I only said that because I do not know the true angle.

Either way I think it atleast got the point across

someasianballer 04-08-2013 02:43 AM

uploaded some pics to compare the size with an etha.

will up date with an efficiency result after this upcoming weekend after the scenario

Ben06 04-08-2013 10:00 AM

I just picked up one of these yesterday brand new off the shop near me out of the box I pulled 1200/1400 shots out of my 68/4500 with only a 3k fill so pretty much once this gets broken in its just going to get better...

For sure a good bang for your buck

Murf425 04-08-2013 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by someasianballer (Post 2672130)
Honestly performance wise the axe blows it out if the water...

How so?

Jaccen 04-08-2013 12:56 PM

Aside from the aesthetics and trigger style, is this just a Mokal Aura? I've held the Aura and really liked it.

PistolRogue 04-08-2013 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaccen (Post 2678096)
Aside from the aesthetics and trigger style, is this just a Mokal Aura? I've held the Aura and really liked it.

It has some minor improvements in the bolt and the board is different but it is still very much like the Aura. It's made by the same guy, from what I understand...