mcarterbrown.com  

MCB Reviews It MCB Reviews it! Have a review of a new gun, or old gun you just tried? New Mask or Gear? Let us know what you think.

Old 04-19-2013, 05:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
King of the OFG

Send a message via MSN to Robertsr

Kilt Fan
Bellville Tactical Research TR-103 minimalist combat boots

For all you that love to play in your five-fingers, or your skeletoes, but hate pulling grass from between your tosies, this may be what you've been waiting for.

The idea behind minimalist footwear is that your feet are pretty well designed as is, and changing the pitch of your stride (by having a raised heel), or padding your foot from impact, can cause issues since you aren't able to walk with the balls of your feet striking first, which allows the arch of the foot to take the impact of the strike as opposed to the heel. If you've ever seen a little kid run, they almost look as if they're on tip-toes, because they haven't had 20-30 years of shoes teaching them to have their heel strike first. I personally got into minimalist shoes by accident. I picked up a pair of frog feet to use as water shoes last summer because Target was all sold out of regular water shoes. Turns out, they were the most comfortable shoes I'd ever worn, and for a week on vacation, my chronic ankle and knee pain went away, even though I was walking more than usual. So, the short history, and the personal story is over, let's get to the review...

This is the Bellville TR-103. It's also available in black and coyote (101 and 102 respectively I believe). They're built in conjunction with Vibram along the lines of a minimalist shoe such as some of the running shoes we've seen hit the market or the toe-shoes that look so dorky, but are so comfortable. In the box they look like any other combat boot pretty much, but there are some significant differences.

First off, you'll notice the total lack of a distinct heel. The "drop" of a shoe is measured by the difference in the height of the heel-bed and the height of the toe-bed. These boots have a 5 mm drop. That ain't a whole lot, although it is more than the zero drop in your average toe shoe. The sole itself has a ton of surface area with the tread, and although I haven't had them out in the field yet, they appear as if they would give very good traction.

The next tip-off that these are not your ordinary boot is the flexibility of the sole...

The soles themselves are much thinner than you would expect on a combat boot, so they have a ton of flex. You have enough protection to walk on rocks, but this boot will give you a much deeper feel of the ground than you're used to. If you've not worn toe-shoes before, you might be shocked at how much striking with your heel hurts, and how much more you can "feel the road". If you have worn toe-shoes before, these actually feel a bit thicker than you're probably used to, but still are quite responsive.

The toe-box is wide, and foot shaped, so your toes can spread as you walk to take up some of the impact, and give you better balance. It's not a steel toe boot, but the toe area is pretty stiff on top. You'll have a good bit of protection here if that is important to you.

The insole is quite thin, and provides just a bit of arch support, sticking with the minimalist goals. It's just enough to protect you from the stitching of the shoebed, and looks to be quite durable. Once again, time will tell.

Once on the foot, some of the other features become apparent. There is a ton of support worked into the ankle area. The crossing diagonal bands provide a very comfortable heel cup, with an added area of Achilles support. This is a real stand out area compared to many of the work-boots I've been wearing to play in for years, and may bug some of you that have not had your shoes with this feature before. It feels nice and comfy now, but we'll see what things are like after a day at the field.

Construction seems to be very tight and clean. The seams and stitching are all in good shape and are straight. I'll see how the sole/shoe attachment holds up as it doesn't appear to be stitched, only glued. Once again, time will tell.

The laces tie through grommeted holes and then through metal loops up the shin. There are no fast-laces here, so these are somewhat of a pain to get on and off. Don't expect to jump into them in a minute.

Forums so far have indicated that they tend to run a bit small, and suggest that you order a half size larger than your normal shoe. I'll agree there. I also read that they run narrow, but I'll disagree on that point. I got wide when medium would have been comfortable as well. It's not a huge point since the whole idea here is to have as little shoe hitting you as possible anyway, but it is something to keep in mind.

These do have side vents a-la the old jungle-boots, so don't expect them to be waterproof either. I'll probably hit them with a shot of Scotch Guard anyway, but I'll know that if I step in a puddle, I'm getting wet.

I'll come back with more notes when I've had them at the field, but for now I'm satisfied with the fit and finish. They run roughly $120.00, which is comperable to other boots of this quality. More info to come as I have longer with them.

FEEDBACK
Robertsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 05:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Post Whore

Nice review and nice price. Are you finding that the treads in the soul are a little less grippy then traditional boots? Especially on turf or dirt?
Aka "wagz" on the field
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Keebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 05:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
Total wreath

CCM Fan
Steel toe available ? I have to have em for flight line

They look comfy tho

I lived in Belleville for a couple years and currently wear Belleville boots
shredxcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 06:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
King of the OFG

Kilt Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keebler View Post
Nice review and nice price. Are you finding that the treads in the soul are a little less grippy then traditional boots? Especially on turf or dirt?
No field experience yet. I should have that by this weekend. They're not cleats, but I don't expect to be falling on my butt either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shredxcam View Post
Steel toe available ? I have to have em for flight line

They look comfy tho

I lived in Belleville for a couple years and currently wear Belleville boots
Don't believe that they are available in steel toe. The three colors of the same model seem to be all that they have at this time.

FEEDBACK
Old 04-19-2013, 07:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
Facta Non Verba

Send a message via MSN to Deuce

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Good review! I'm basically sold on them, I'm sure they'll be a good boot but I'm still searching for something Berry compliant.

Co-Captain/ Co-Founder
Team-Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCMachinist View Post
$400 per 1000

smoke'em if you got'em.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper duke View Post
I'd wipe, play-on and overshoot.
Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 09:05 PM   #6 (permalink)
MCB Member

I don't know. No real protection from booby-traps like punji and boards with spikes in them....

Maybe not for "real" combat............
Old 04-20-2013, 01:05 AM   #7 (permalink)
MCB Member

AKA Fan
Great review. I'm interested in how they work out for you over time. Cheers.

Jaccen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:30 AM   #8 (permalink)
King of the OFG

Kilt Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE-SHOOTIST View Post
I don't know. No real protection from booby-traps like punji and boards with spikes in them....

Maybe not for "real" combat............
The company markets them as training boots, and is very clear that they're not intended for training under "load", like walking around with a 60 lb pack all day.

Should have put the company website on here too...

Belleville Boots - MINI-MiL™

FEEDBACK
Old 04-22-2013, 10:31 AM   #9 (permalink)
King of the OFG

Kilt Fan
Ok. After a day of play I have a few more notes.

#1. They aren't kidding when they recommend that you break yourself into wearing them. My achilles is a-killin' me.

In all seriousness, these performed admirably at the field. It was after-rain play, so I got to try them out on dry, rocky, muddy, sloppy, and wet steps. I intentionally splashed through some really grotty areas to check water-tightness, and was surprised at how little my feet got wet. The jungle vents didn't seem to let all that much water in.

Grip was excellent under all conditions. I slid once the entire day, and I'm pretty sure I would have slid there even if I was wearing cleats. Surprisingly enough, the wet stairs were also easily navigated. I expected to slip there as I always have in my regular boots, and didn't. Not sure what the big difference is, but it was a nice surprise.

You really feel the stretch in your calves and achilles while wearing these. I've had the boots on for less than 8 hours total before going to the field, and could really tell the difference when I was playing. On the plus side, I didn't get any breaking-in blisters from anywhere, so the fit to my foot/ankle was very good.

After playing in them, I'm even more sold. My balance was enhanced, and the grip worked very well in multiple conditions.

FEEDBACK
Old 07-16-2013, 03:25 PM   #10 (permalink)
C'mon Man!

Send a message via AIM to subyrally

ive been wanting to get these for a while now, glad to see that they are as nice as i thought, lol.
subyrally is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » MCB Reviews It