mcarterbrown.com  

MCB Reviews It MCB Reviews it! Have a review of a new gun, or old gun you just tried? New Mask or Gear? Let us know what you think.

Old 06-06-2013, 12:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newbie++

CCM Fan
Inception Designs Apache Go-Pro Mount Review.

Now that I spent almost a month with my Inception Designs Apache Go Pro mount, I would like to take the time and do a quick review. But before I go into details of the Apache mount, let me give you some background on my paintball video attempts.
First I used the Nummech Contour Mount with a Contour GPS

That camera lasted all of 3 – 4 games before my first Contour took a direct hit
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meVdDNv_lW4&hd=1

and became a nice paper weight
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKXI_2Tlbvc&hd=1

I was told by Contour that I should have used a water proof case. So I bought a second Contour GPS at a “discounted” rate from Contour, a water proof case and a new Nummech waterproof case mount(Nummech - Camera barrel screw mount). This is actually a really nice mount. Only after 10 uses, the power button fell off completely and can't be soldered back on. If you have a Contour I highly recommend the Nummech barrel mounts and lens cover. I just have 0 faiths in Contour Camera. After those two cameras were destroyed I pretty much stopped video tapping paintball games.

Fast forward 1 year, I found out Simon was making a “slim line barrel mount” so I picked one up at Living Legends 6. My first thought was... “Wow this is simple no one else thought about this until now?????” I immediately threw it on my CCM S6.5 to capture some footage from LL6. The marker I used was a CCM S6.5 with T-handle, freak kit and a Winchester/Rotor hopper. As you can see from the picture below, the camera was mounted above the barrel and does not interfere with the T pump handle. I have heard other people saying that the barrel mount does interfere with other styles of CCM and Non CCM pump handles. But in my case, the T pump handle worked flawlessly

Here is a quick snippet of footage from LL6 using this setup. Please keep in mind that I had no idea how to use this mount and how it would affect my playing style, so the video footage I captured was not ideal. I would recommend you use this mount 2-3 times before you take it out to a big game so you know exactly how to use the Go-Pro effectively.
First footage was taken 5 mins before the start of the game on Sat. at the New Empire’s insertion point. I was able to hold the camera above my head and aim the camera using the barrel tip. This made it pretty simple to capture the vast crowd gathered around me without the use of an LCD or Smart Phone.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Azt00Md0O0I&hd=1

The second footage is of me using my CCM for the Initial push to Bedlam by the New Empire. As you can see the mount did a great job holding the Go-Pro even as I sprinted from the wooded area into the Bedlam. Not once did I feel like the camera was wobbly or in danger of becoming lose. It isn't a very good video but you get the idea.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bj1_9e8SN0&hd=1

Next I would like to talk about the sight picture while using the Apache Go Pro Mount. This is the most important part of the barrel mount. It has a direct impact on how often you are willing to use you camera. Take a look at the following pictures. These are the image you should expect to see when looking down an Apache mount vs the normal Go Pro handlebar mount (with the camera is mounted on top). With the Go-Pro handlebar attached all you see is the mount and the barrel tip is not visible. I personally use the barrel tip to line up all my shots. I noticed when camera mounts blocks the barrel tip my accuracy greatly suffers. On the other hand the Apache mount leave much of the barrel tip in plain view. Thus it has almost no negative impact on my accuracy.
Go Pro mounted above the barrel with the Apache mount:

Go Pro mounted above the barrel with the handlebar mount:

As you can see there is a huge difference between the two mounts with the camera mounted above the barrel. However, the difference between the two is even more drastic when you mount the camera on the bottom of the barrel with the Apache mount. With the Apache mount, you won’t even know the Go-Pro is there. This is the most ideal mounting solutions for a Go-Pro camera. As you can see by my video below I was perfectly accurate lobbing shots at people running over 120 feet away.
Go Pro mounted below the barrel with the Apache mount:

Go Pro mounted below the barrel with the handlebar mount:

Video of the Apache Mount on a Gog Enmey
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANa0yCjGJmU&hd=1

Other random videos I shot with the Apache Go-Pro mount.
WOW 14 Pods @ LL6:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dia1PLCmT40&hd=1
Wed night paintball @ Dosser Works
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aDQ3PrStGo&hd=1

Now that I’ve covered the Apache mount, the sight picture and the video it produces, let’s talk price…. Actually think of it this way, if you just spent $200-$400 on a new Go-Pro Hero 3 camera, $50 on SD card and card readers, why would you go cheap on the camera mount? If you use the included handlebar mount, your accuracy WILL suffer and you WILL NOT use the camera when you go out and play. In the end, you are left with basically a $250-$450 paper weight. Get yourself the Apache mount and put your Go Pro to good use.

My MCB Feedback

Last edited by noclue119; 06-11-2013 at 02:43 PM.
noclue119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Hey excellent review, very in depth. As a Go Pro owner, I appreciate it. I'm sorry to hear about your issues with the contour, I hope those reading this heed the warning and get the Go Pro. I'm very happy with mine. Contour BLOWS.
Rover Lead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 03:18 AM   #3 (permalink)
Not Worthy Of "MCBer"

Quote:
Originally Posted by noclue119 View Post
I was told by Contour that I should have used a water proof case. So I bought a second Contour GPS at a “discounted” rate from Contour, a water proof case and a new Nummech waterproof case mount(Nummech - Camera barrel screw mount). This is actually a really nice mount. Only after 10 uses, the power button fell off completely and can't be solider back on. If you have a Contour I highly recommend the Nummech barrel mounts and lens cover. I just have 0 faiths in Contour Camera. After those two cameras were destroyed I pretty much stopped video tapping paintball games.
I just wanted to say I love this story of yours. I try to warn people about some of the drawbacks of the Contours... but some people just don't listen. Contour's response shows contempt for the paintball community, and I think the paintball community should respond in kind.

That said I'm no fan of GoPro's either, but this is a pretty clever mount design; it's far, FAR nicer than the "bike clamp" which everyone always recommends. The bike clamp SUUUUUUUUUCCCKKS. I think anyone that recommends the bike clamp either has never used the bike clamp, or is just crazy. If it didn't suck that bad, then there would be little reason for these to come out. Zero sum game.
Logic and reason are anathema to him; but this does not deter him from prattling on.
He is the most interesting player in the world.
GoatBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 09:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via AIM to BigOldSkool

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
I need to bug Simon for one..

RIP - Ed "BigDaddy" Roth and "Indian" Larry
Wild Geese - Coney Isand White Fish - ECA
BOS's Feedback!
What Serial Number Is Your Cocker? WTB
ECAP - "Making players dreams other players nightmares"
COUSINS PAINTBALL
BigOldSkool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 07:07 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lathe Fiend

What diameter barrel does it mount to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOldSkool View Post
CNC's are for nerds...
MCB Feedback

Sheridan Misc FS: Grips, bodies
sniper42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 08:27 AM   #6 (permalink)
INCEPTIONDESIGNS.COM

The barrel mount is designed to fit 1" barrels and smaller. It comes with three thicknesses of silicon tape so you can adjust it slightly to fit smaller barrels.

If you are trying to fit a very small barrel, you can build up the thickness and then put the clamping bracket onto it.
manike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 08:57 AM   #7 (permalink)
Newbie++

CCM Fan
In the GOG ENMEY Video, I was using a CP 2 piece barrel like the one seen below. I used electrical tape to build up the skinnest part and mounted the barrel on it. As you can see there were very little vibration in the video.

My MCB Feedback
Old 10-07-2013, 10:09 PM   #8 (permalink)

Where did you get that mount? Great review by the way.

Leave me Feedback

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
KoreanZombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 12:12 AM   #9 (permalink)
Newbie++

CCM Fan
http://www.inceptiondesigns.com/

My MCB Feedback
Old 10-08-2013, 05:28 PM   #10 (permalink)
It's All In The Reflexes.

Send a message via AIM to Crimson Death

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Simon needs to make a visor mount for the GoPro
Crimson Death is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » MCB Reviews It