mcarterbrown.com  

MCB Reviews It MCB Reviews it! Have a review of a new gun, or old gun you just tried? New Mask or Gear? Let us know what you think.

Old 06-19-2013, 03:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
Paintball Ballistician :P

Thumbs up Inception Designs GoPro Invader Mounts

Full Disclosure: Iím sponsored by Simonized/Inception Designs.

So, as Iíve mentioned in this thread, Iíve been working for over a year now on a custom gun camera setup. My intention is to record the shots I take with my First Strike gun (started with the T9.1 and now with the FN303). My initial gun camera (Standard Definition bullet camera and digital recorder) didnít work out as well as I hoped as it was bulky, heavy, and required too many steps to get it recording. I only got one good game video with this setup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03EGHalXISc

I gave up on that approach and I set about acquiring all of the components for my next approach:
  • GoPro Hero2
  • Ragecams 50mm lens
  • Custom Lens Protective Shroud
  • 2Ē Offset Picatinny Rail (to allow the GoPro to clear my optics) and...
GoPro Picatinny Mounts. Initially, I started this with a Strikemark mount but, the problem with the Strikemark is that because it relies on the GoProís Ďshoeí and, the large adjustment knobs, the cameraís much taller than when itís on either of the Inception Designs Invader Mounts (1913 and XL) Ultimately, that led to this configuration:

I took this to Living Legends but, a bump to the lens shroud (and itís added leverage) tilted the camera down just enough to cause me to catch nothing but the ground about 10yards ahead of me. This is purely operator error and if I had checked it at any point, Iíd have found it. The mount canít really do anything about this on itís own- if you make the camera immobile, youíre more likely to break the case with a hard knock.

Well, I had an extra mount for my pistols and I got to thinking: What if I could convert it to a brace / shock absorber and ultimately that lead to:

One Dano 1/2 (3/4" O.D. from Home Depot) flat washer (rubber), in each of the mount's slots, opening up the washer holes a little bit, and trimming some off their tops (10:00 position in the above photo) allows the camera to line up perfectly with my opticís point of aim. It will absorb a little shock if thereís a hard impact and, the camera's knocked backwards, I can quickly tap it back down to the washer for easy realignment.

Overall, Iím very impressed by the diminutive size and light weight of these mounts. Itís one of those ideas that really shouldíve come long ago in the GoProís history. The 1913 easily clamps to all of the various picatinny rails in my house save one: My real steel FS2000 (Tactical). For that one, I need to tear down the gun beyond fieldstripping only because the front and rear ends of the top rail are occluded by the rest of the gun, preventing me from sliding anything onto the rail. The XL version clamps to both my 9mm and .40 XDm (4.5Ē barrel-models).

I hope to have some paintball footage recorded in the next month (my day job has had me quite busy over the past couple months). I'll make sure to post links to any new content here.
Originally Posted by Tom Kaye -in response to FS price critics
Unfortunately all of you have played the one "speedball" game of paintball for so long you can't conceive of other ways to do this and hence any new ideas seem stupid.
uv_halo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
Fortune and Glory

Send a message via AIM to Crimson Death

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Slick setup. I can't wait to see some footage.
Crimson Death is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » MCB Reviews It