mcarterbrown.com  

MCB Reviews It MCB Reviews it! Have a review of a new gun, or old gun you just tried? New Mask or Gear? Let us know what you think.

Old 06-27-2014, 10:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via AIM to Fubarius Send a message via Yahoo to Fubarius

AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Ultimate Retro Review, Nelspot 707

Beyond vintage, we have Antique.

Most well versed paintballers know the gun used in the first official paintball game in 1981 was the Nelspot 007, but many are not aware that the concept of firing a ball of paint out of an air gun to mark something was quite old by then, used to mark trees and livestock since the mid 60's. The 007 was Nelson's SECOND paintball gun. Their first was the Nelspot 707, one of which I have recently aquired...

Sort of a double bolt action. You open the top bolt, tilt the gun to the side to drop a ball from the side tube into the barrel, then close the bolt. Then you pull on a knob on the back of the gun to cock it. It clicks three times, each click being a subsequently higher velocity.

The red and yellow flecks are splatter from OIL based paint, and can't be wiped off. No, I will NOT be attacking this beauty with paint thinner.

The scratches by the front 12 gram knob are from the original owner. He was a cattle buyer from Winona, MN who bought the gun new around 1965. He carried it in the field for 20+ years, using it to mark cattle for purchase. In his later years he couldn't unscrew the knob by hand anymore, so he'd occasionally use a pair of pliers. I don't really consider this damage, it's just part of the gun's character. It was a tool, used for a job.

Now he couldn't just slip this bad boy in his pocket, so he had to carry it in something more practical...

...yep, the original leather holster.

They cattle buyer's grandson eventually inherited it, and over the next 3 decades or would occasionally pull it out to shoot in the back yard, maybe scare a rabbit out of the garden. Until eventually, he sold it to me.

And the usual final question, does it still shoot?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJBfIFjEVuA

As for how well it shoots, it shoots pretty darn well, if a bit cumbersome to use.
The 12 gram is sealed by an o-ring on the changing knob, makes unscrewing it surprisingly hard when gassed up since the entire chamber is pressurized. Similar to a Sheridan the 12 gram is pierced by the first shot.
The bolt handle and feed tube should have been on opposite sides for a right handed shooter, best to probably just swap hands when reloading.
The multi click cocking knob is interesting. I haven't chrono'ed it yet, but by my rough estimates the first click might be just for priming the 12 gram, the second click is "don't piss of the cow 20ft away too much", and the third click is "holy crap that's fast" on a fresh 12 gram.
Efficiency was surprising. I predicted 20 or so shots per 12 gram, but I had to dry fire it to almost 40 shots before I could unscrew the 12 gram knob.

Nunquam emere quid potes facere
Fubarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 05:18 PM   #2 (permalink)

Fascinating. It boggles the mind that these things were available for decades before it occurred to people to duel each other with them.

If I can pick some nits for a bit, didn't the "007" designation for the Nelspot not come about until mid-late 1984?

Are you planning on disassembling the marker at all? I'd be curious to see whether the hammer more closely resembles a Sheridan or traditional Nelson hammer.
The Inflicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 05:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
Oldbie

That is my favorite splash anno ever.
HyperU2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 08:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via AIM to Fubarius Send a message via Yahoo to Fubarius

AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inflicted View Post
Fascinating. It boggles the mind that these things were available for decades before it occurred to people to duel each other with them.
Considering they sold these things to lumberjacks and cowboys it wouldn't surprise me if there were quite a few impromptu quick draw duels. Or even more likely, some dude getting popped in the behind by his buddy when he was leaning over to pick something up.

Quote:
If I can pick some nits for a bit, didn't the "007" designation for the Nelspot not come about until mid-late 1984?
Not sure on that. Though it might be a sort of a "DM3" kind of thing, where a later name retroactively gives something older name. I'll have to do more research.

Quote:
Are you planning on disassembling the marker at all? I'd be curious to see whether the hammer more closely resembles a Sheridan or traditional Nelson hammer.
This is more of a "disassemble only if needed" kind of gun. That plastic spacer is super fragile and really easy to crack during reassembly. I'd hate to ruin the "original, untouched" condition of this gun.

But luckily others have restored this type of gun, so there are diagrams and disassembly pictures out there...
707 Restoration
707 Information
707 Disassembly

Nunquam emere quid potes facere
Fubarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 10:47 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubarius View Post
Considering they sold these things to lumberjacks and cowboys it wouldn't surprise me if there were quite a few impromptu quick draw duels. Or even more likely, some dude getting popped in the behind by his buddy when he was leaning over to pick something up.

Not sure on that. Though it might be a sort of a "DM3" kind of thing, where a later name retroactively gives something older name. I'll have to do more research.

This is more of a "disassemble only if needed" kind of gun. That plastic spacer is super fragile and really easy to crack during reassembly. I'd hate to ruin the "original, untouched" condition of this gun.

But luckily others have restored this type of gun, so there are diagrams and disassembly pictures out there...
707 Restoration
707 Information
707 Disassembly
Nice links!
I take it the two grooves milled into the hammer account for the "3-click" cocking action.

More surprisingly, it seems the original Nelson... was a Sheridan.

The Inflicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 07:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
time to hibernate

Send a message via AIM to Bleeds Send a message via Yahoo to Bleeds

Fan of EMR
Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inflicted View Post

More surprisingly, it seems the original Nelson... was a Sheridan.

http://www.joeydevilla.com/wordpress...mind-blown.gif
I always though it was pretty cool how these had a cartridge valve like the later Sheridans did.

"There isn't much that I feel I need, a solid soul and the blood I bleed."
Bleeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 07:16 PM   #7 (permalink)
Thrill Me!

Location: looking through the knotholes in granny's wooden leg

The 707 is built of the Crosman pell 150 pellet pistol. The lower tube, internals and grip are all early Crosman.

A member here did a restro and has a very nice wright up, pictures and diagram on his site.
707 Restoration

The hammer is nothing like a Sheridan....

You got a great snag on that deal, I have been wanting one of these for many years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mar View Post
I honestly can barely stand most of the mods here, and don't even get me started on the f***ing Canadian ones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaD View Post
Asking for brass on MCB is like going to the grocery and saying "Looking for food, you guys have any"?
My Feedback

Stuff I want or need evenually
snaparen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 09:59 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubarius View Post
The bolt handle and feed tube should have been on opposite sides for a right handed shooter, best to probably just swap hands when reloading.
i happen to be left handed.

i suddenly have 1 more reason to want a 707...
heinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 08:34 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

It was probably built or designed by a lefty... lots of airsmiths and gunsmiths seem to be southpaws (myself included).
ApoC_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 12:19 PM   #10 (permalink)

Crosman 707 - think it was built by Crosman, not by Nelson.
IronHorse is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » MCB Reviews It