mcarterbrown.com  

MCB Reviews It MCB Reviews it! Have a review of a new gun, or old gun you just tried? New Mask or Gear? Let us know what you think.

Old 08-29-2017, 05:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Send a message via AIM to xluben

xluben's Azodin KPC Kaos Pump Photos and Review

I recently received the new KPC to try out and I have taken photos of the various color offerings as well as my initial thoughts on the updated version of the Kaos Pump. I have been a fan of Azodin and their lower price pump options for many years. I initially posted a review of the original Kaos pump back in 2009 when it came out. Later I even had a custom halfblock conversion done.

xluben's Azodin Kaos Pump (KP) Review

Azodin Kaos Pump (KP) Halfblock

Over the years Azodin has taken the feedback from the market and evolved their pump offering. Currently this has resulted in their higher level KP3 version with additional features and options included, but this left a gap on the slightly lower end of the budget so they have re-released the more basic Kaos Pump (now called the KPC or Kaos Pump Classic) to fill this void. The valve and regulator combination on this gun is setup slightly differently than the KP3 which allows it to function on CO2 and HPA (KP3 only works with HPA).

The KPC comes in a cardboard box (that is conveniently sized for USPS Priority shipping) and now includes custom cut out foam to hold the gun, barrel, and other items. The manual includes basic instructions and troubleshooting as well as color illustrations of basic use and parts diagrams.
The gun also includes a small parts kit, metric allen keys, barrel bag, one-piece 0.685" barrel and hitman plate. The one-piece barrel is now 14" (as opposed to 12" on the original Kaos Pump) and has much more attractive milling. The hitman plate is a nice inclusion seeing as this is an additional cost on the higher end KP3.

One major change from the original Kaos Pump is that the KPC now comes with a single trigger. This is a huge improvement for a pump gun. The added stability from being able to grip the frame with 3 fingers is key for how the gun feels when being used. The gun has also switched to the haflblock style (instead of a midblock) which slightly reduces weight and I feel looks better. The feedneck is now a screw lock style which is a vast improvement over the original Kaos Pump. The gun also includes a preset regulator and more streamlined ASA.

The pump system is still using an aluminum pump handle with a single pump rod (unlike delrin and dual rods like on the KP3) but (like the original Kaos Pump) there is a secondary guide rod to reduce twisting. Overall the pump stroke feels very smooth and stable with minimal binding, even with the included hitman plate installed. All of the rods are polished stainless steel and I believe this is related to the improved feel compared to the pump stroke of the original Kaos Pump. The overall feel is nearly on par with the dual rod setup on the KP3.

The overall fit and finish of the gun is very good for this price point. Everything is well made and the grip frame is a matte finish which closely matches the other parts! This has been a visual difference on some Azodin offerings in the past, and while it does not affect performance it does look better. The color offerings for the KPC are all very attractive and have a nice amount of shine/reflectivity for a matte finish. The more neutral colors are typically my preference but the in this case the blue really stands out as a nice looking gun if that's your style.

Based on the features offered and my physical handling of the KPC I am very impressed with what is being offered for this price. It's a good setup with no major flaws yet it sticks to a budget price point. I will post additional thoughts when I've been able to use the KPC more. I will also be trying to put together a shooting video of some kind soon. Here are photos of the black version being unboxed as well as the the included items and Hitman plate installation. In the subsequent posts I will put up some additional photos/angles as well as shots of the other color offerings.

Box

Inside Box

Included Items

Tools, Parts, Hitman Plate

Hitman Plate Installation

Old 08-29-2017, 05:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Winchester and 13/3k Tank

Azodin Gun Stand

Barrel

Trigger

Feedneck

Halfblock

Tan Color

Old 08-29-2017, 05:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Gunmetal Color

Blue Color

Old 08-29-2017, 05:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Green Color

Black Color

Old 08-30-2017, 06:22 AM   #5 (permalink)
AKA Maggy Moo

While I understand the desire to create a cheaper variant of the KP3 (not that it's that significant of a price difference), I don't like much about this gun. The original pump handle was always way too small for me. The new reg looks terrible, and I never liked the new half block look. I don't understand why they didn't just keep selling the kp2, as it was cheaper to begin with, and would be cheaper for azodin to produce since they've been producing it for years. The single trigger and the new feedneck are improvements but as far as I can see that's about it.

Though I will admit the new colors look really good. I've never been a huge fan of their gunmetal color but for whatever reason it works well here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Thompson View Post
Who is this Chad Thompson you all are talking about?
magmoormaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 08:54 AM   #6 (permalink)
MCB Member

Great pictures and write up xluben!

While I do agree with you on the pump handle being tiny magmoormaster, I personally like the rest of what the KPC has to offer. While the non adjustable reg is different, I don't think it looks bad and think its lower profile fits the design of a pump a bit better. Also I personally like the half block look Just my opinions and all others mileage will vary.

Still, I think having a downgraded version of the KP3 that makes use of existing cheaper parts from other platforms (Reg from the Blitz3, ASA and feedneck from the K2) is a smart way to reduce cost of manufacture on Azodin's end. Just use the majority of the KP3 (body, internals, sled, pump arms, frame ect) and use the cheaper options you already make use of on other platforms to break into the $200 pump market without making too many new parts.

Noted as of this time it is only a $70 difference, but that $70 could break the budget for someone who wants to try playing some pump.
paintzapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 12:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by magmoormaster View Post
While I understand the desire to create a cheaper variant of the KP3 (not that it's that significant of a price difference), I don't like much about this gun. The original pump handle was always way too small for me. The new reg looks terrible, and I never liked the new half block look. I don't understand why they didn't just keep selling the kp2, as it was cheaper to begin with, and would be cheaper for azodin to produce since they've been producing it for years. The single trigger and the new feedneck are improvements but as far as I can see that's about it.

Though I will admit the new colors look really good. I've never been a huge fan of their gunmetal color but for whatever reason it works well here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintzapper View Post
Great pictures and write up xluben!

While I do agree with you on the pump handle being tiny magmoormaster, I personally like the rest of what the KPC has to offer. While the non adjustable reg is different, I don't think it looks bad and think its lower profile fits the design of a pump a bit better. Also I personally like the half block look Just my opinions and all others mileage will vary.

Still, I think having a downgraded version of the KP3 that makes use of existing cheaper parts from other platforms (Reg from the Blitz3, ASA and feedneck from the K2) is a smart way to reduce cost of manufacture on Azodin's end. Just use the majority of the KP3 (body, internals, sled, pump arms, frame ect) and use the cheaper options you already make use of on other platforms to break into the $200 pump market without making too many new parts.

Noted as of this time it is only a $70 difference, but that $70 could break the budget for someone who wants to try playing some pump.
I don't disagree with any of the comments made so far, but I think most boil down to preference. I feel that having an additional (lower priced) option is never a bad thing. There really is nothing groundbreaking being done, but it is using mostly existing parts from their other options and if it gets any new players into the pump market I think it's a win for the industry and sport as a whole.

I do agree that the pump handle is a bit small but it's not terrible. The guide rod setup works well for the price point and the new (and included) hitman plate is far better than the KP/KP2 stick-style and also better than the KP3 (because it is included for free and it is far less work to swap - on the KP3 the entire back plate must be removed).

Compared to the (older/cheaper) KP2 I think the single trigger frame and much better feedneck are both huge steps forward and well worth the change. The barrel is also a bit longer with better milling and more porting. The half block design is personal preference but I like it much better than the mid block and it slightly reduces the overall weight.

Based on some of the comments I've seen on the KP2 and KP3 I think the fixed regulator may be in the best interest of a new user. I've seen quite a few reports of people causing more issues that good try to balance or fine tune the pressure settings vs spring tension. The new setup removes some of that adjustment and should be more robust. It's also configured to allow for CO2 use unlike before.
Old 08-30-2017, 12:22 PM   #8 (permalink)
AKA Maggy Moo

All good points. Like you said, it's all personal preference.

Does the barrel still use the o-ring detent thing that they had on the original Kaos Pump? I never paid attention if the KP2 or KP3 had it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Thompson View Post
Who is this Chad Thompson you all are talking about?
magmoormaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 02:40 PM   #9 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by magmoormaster View Post
All good points. Like you said, it's all personal preference.

Does the barrel still use the o-ring detent thing that they had on the original Kaos Pump? I never paid attention if the KP2 or KP3 had it.
No, they have gone away from the 0.689" barrel with o-ring and switched a more appropriate 0.685" bore. It won't work for all paint but it should be a solid improvement in efficiency for most users. The old school tape mod might need to be used if you have very small paint and don't have any other smaller barrels.
Old 08-30-2017, 02:48 PM   #10 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xluben View Post
No, they have gone away from the 0.689" barrel with o-ring and switched a more appropriate 0.685" bore. It won't work for all paint but it should be a solid improvement in efficiency for most users. The old school tape mod might need to be used if you have very small paint and don't have any other smaller barrels.
I keep a roll of scotch tape in my toolbox just for this reason.
paintzapper is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » MCB Reviews It