mcarterbrown.com

MCB Reviews It MCB Reviews it! Have a review of a new gun, or old gun you just tried? New Mask or Gear? Let us know what you think.

Old 08-29-2006, 11:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
MCB Member

J&J ceramic for phantom

While I am the kind of person to bash a product or a company, most of the time I have a decent reason for doing so. This is a pretty negative review but it isn't do to a bias I have against J&J. This isn't the first J&J I've owned but it is the first one that I am unhappy with. I have an edge kit that has been used on all 5 of my cockers/sniper II's, I had a ceramic for my automag and a ceramic on my first gun which was a STBB.

keep in mind this is only the J&J ceramic for phantoms.

The good:
pretty accurate
shoots through barrel breaks
quite (quiet? sp?... damned government education) maybee quiter than my boomstick
color (i love the dull black finish much better than the older gray finish.)

The bad:
when threaded into the gun it still wobbles

but worse than the wobbling is that the thing doesn't ****ing work.
It won't thread into my DF body. I can put it on my SC body but if I need to use a detent ring I'm SOL because it won't thread in with the detent ring behind it.

a couple of pics of it next to my stock barrel and a boomstick

I am pretty sure that it isn't a manufacturing defect on this one barrel. I bought this one from the J&J tent/trailer at D-Day (oklahoma) in 04. I won another in the raffle at SPE in 05. Both had the same problem.

Other than a misaligned tip for my edge kit(still shot great with the bad tip) this is the only problem I have had from J&J. I know I would love the barrel but due to it being unusable I don't think I can give it any rating higher than being absolute crap.

to elaborate on my final conclusion

2 on a 1-10 scale
I wouldn't put one on my phantom, mostly because I can't

It got the 2 because I might be able to have it turned down and be able to put it on my line SI bushy.

If loud pipes save lives imagine what bright pink helmets could do.

my feedback http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
K_Obeastly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 12:15 AM   #2 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via AIM to Cunha Send a message via MSN to Cunha Send a message via Yahoo to Cunha

When buying phantom barrels you need to be sure that the barrel has the correct square phantom threads. Alot of companies first runs of phantom barrels were using the sharp or whatever threads normal barrels use and so they dont work right. A crying shame.
Cunha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 08:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
MCB Member

that sounds like reasonable explination and when looking at it I believe you are correct. I failed to mention and I think I should that from the pictures I have seen I don't think the phantom edge kit has the same problem.

Old 08-30-2006, 09:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
Post Whore

I've had this problem with an Edge Kit I got for the Phantom. It would fit in my centerfeed breech, but not in my right feed.

On the left is a stock Phantom barrel, on the right the original threads on my Edge kit (all four backs were the same):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Cassady View Post
The thread on the Edge barrel is 7/8-14 but is not an Acme 2G type like the Phantom barrel and may not fit all breeches. The gap between the breech bore and barrel bore may cause an increase in paintball burst in the barrel. The CCI barrel is a 7/8-14 Acme thread
I had my entire kit cut off and rethreaded, and it now works for all breeches...

Walker

Nelson Owner's Group
Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 11:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via AIM to Cunha Send a message via MSN to Cunha Send a message via Yahoo to Cunha

Thats a huge bummer. Did Jand J charge for that? cant believe they still sell the bogus threaded barrels.
Cunha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 11:15 PM   #6 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunha View Post
Thats a huge bummer. Did Jand J charge for that? cant believe they still sell the bogus threaded barrels.
J&J said they wouldn't rethread it, and they were currently out of stock. They said to contact them again after their next batch was ready and they'd see about replacing the kit.

I had the backs redone by someone else, since I didn't want to wait, and maybe the new kit would fit, and that wasn't good enough......

Walker

Nelson Owner's Group
Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 07:47 PM   #7 (permalink)
MCB Member

J&J's quality control crew was out riding bikes with Hans Rey the day they made the phantom barrels.

Old 10-18-2006, 12:43 PM   #8 (permalink)

Hmmmm!

I just purchased one a few weeks ago and it fits fine.

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 01:05 AM   #9 (permalink)
Post Whore

Like mike said it can depend on the gun. I have had four different phantoms. in that time I didnt have a single phantom that the J&J kit I had worked on, So I sold it. I got what I paid for it but made sure to caution the new owner about the issue. I told him that if they didnt fit his gun to send em back for a refund.

Luckily they did work on his.

Now my new kit that I have I didnt even bother with checking to see if it would work or not. I sent it in with my gun order and the barrels were examined by the master himself anno'd with my gun and sent back to me.

I cant say enough good things about mike cassidy.

Email him to see if they can be fixed, Dont let him do it for free though.

I agree that J&J shouldnt sell these kits unless they are machined properly. My experience in dealing with J&J was not good. Well I didnt even deal with them but I tried. I sent em mail about getting a shorter tip than what I had and never got a response, I wondered into my local shop and luckily they had a 4" tip to sell.
Chemical-X is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » MCB Reviews It