mcarterbrown.com  

MCB Reviews It MCB Reviews it! Have a review of a new gun, or old gun you just tried? New Mask or Gear? Let us know what you think.

Old 09-16-2006, 09:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
Yiffy Support Gunner

Send a message via AIM to slvrwulf

Army (and Marine) issue MICH helmet

Well, today I got my grubby little paws on the new MICH/ACH helmet. This is the replacement for the Kevlar PASGT helmet. I DO like that it is slightly less weight to carry and with the pad system, changing the size is alot easier the nusing the leather headband. On the down side, those are about the only good things I have to say RE this helmet. Oh, one more positive, the helmet cover is reversible, so you can alternate covers without having one extra piece of gear to worry about.

You have no more visor on the front of the helmet, which according to specs will allow better vision. I find this more of a draw back, as you dont have that extra little bit to block the sun from directly entering your eyes, so you have to wear your Patrol cap under the helmet. This leads to issues because you have to use a SECOND set of size pads to have a comfortable fit. EVERYTHING is Velcro now, it's like the ACU fatigues

The helmet leaves more to be desired in protection, as the sides are shorter, so it doesn't protect your head as much as the traditional PASGT helmet.

Overall, I think they should go back to the PASGT helmet. I know technology keeps moving forward, but WTF... this leaves more area exposed then the older helmet. Maybe I dont have the right size pads in it. Which is another issue. if you some how end up with the wrong size pads, you get to go through getting a new set.

In the end, I give this new helmet a low score, something like a four or less. From what I've heard from others, the helmet isn't being accepted well through most services.
slvrwulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 09:31 AM   #2 (permalink)
Red=Moderator

Pictures!!!!!

Remember how bad of a reception the M-16 when first introduced...considered by many (especially the Marines) to be another Mickey Mouse pos.

You may be right on this one though.... only time will tell.

E
Schmitti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 01:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
Yiffy Support Gunner

It's ( helmet) is over at the new apartment. Iwill get pictures today, and upload them tomorrow ( The internet will be installed at the new place tomrrow morning, as well as cable). But, general pics of it are available here:

Though it has a four point chin strap, you can get these for the older PASGT helmet... I wanna get rid of mine and downgrade...anyone want to buy a new one?
Old 09-19-2006, 08:50 AM   #4 (permalink)
I've porked many

It seems to me the pasgt helmet would give better protection and look less like a beenie. It would give better protection to the back of your neck from sunburn at least.

My Feedback Thread[/SIZE][/SIZE]
pillage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 04:18 PM   #5 (permalink)

problem is with the old kevlar's it hits against the kneck peices on your IBA, thus being a pain in the butt to keep you head up/look up.

I dunno, I haven't tried the new ACH but I would like too.
Old 09-20-2006, 09:26 AM   #6 (permalink)
I've porked many

Quote:
Originally Posted by Special_k View Post
problem is with the old kevlar's it hits against the kneck peices on your IBA, thus being a pain in the butt to keep you head up/look up.

I dunno, I haven't tried the new ACH but I would like too.
Maybe the back should be hinged like the old samurai helmets. Like these. www.japanese-helmets.com/ They had protection for the back of the neck without the loss of protection. I wore the old kevlar, but I never had to wear the body armour.

My Feedback Thread[/SIZE][/SIZE]
pillage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 11:55 AM   #7 (permalink)
Yiffy Support Gunner

Well, I kind of like the hinged idea, espec compared to the logic of trading flexibility for protection....why not just go to Kevlar using the older M1 as a base design, it would offer about as much protection.

Special_K, should have said something sooner, I just Ebayed mine ( though it's not authorized for the person who bought it to wear it)
Old 09-20-2006, 05:36 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slvrwulf View Post
Well, I kind of like the hinged idea, espec compared to the logic of trading flexibility for protection....why not just go to Kevlar using the older M1 as a base design, it would offer about as much protection.

Special_K, should have said something sooner, I just Ebayed mine ( though it's not authorized for the person who bought it to wear it)
problem being no one in my unit has it anyways so there really wouldn't be much point, couldn't use the darn thing. . .

I will just wait to get mine issued!
Old 09-21-2006, 09:57 PM   #9 (permalink)

I say go back to the old steel pi**-pots... All these new helmets look too much like the old Nazi ones....

Catchya on the Flip Side.....

Emerald Wolf -- is waiting for the Boba Fett helmet... :laugh:
Emerald Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » MCB Reviews It