mcarterbrown.com  

MCB Reviews It MCB Reviews it! Have a review of a new gun, or old gun you just tried? New Mask or Gear? Let us know what you think.

Old 07-27-2008, 06:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
DSA
One in the Pipe!

Send a message via Skype™ to DSA

Redux SN DSA1 Show Me the Numbers

July 26, 2008
Well today was a heck of a good time. I was a bit disappointed but only in the fact I missed the Big Texas Gathering. However in the end it turned into a great day of paintball. My son Zack and I hit Challenge Park here in Lubbock TX. I have been meaning to hit the field again with my Redux, the first time around was a very quick “I have a new marker let’s try it out.” Today I was determined to give it an entire day of play. If you have never played with a DD68 or Redux there are a few things you need to insure you do to have a successful day on the field.

One look shows the quality of this marker.

First and foremost get yourself the full Freak Insert kit before even hitting the field. I was lucky enough that the field paint was “Premium” being roughly 68.8 I picked up the 69.1 grey freak insert the night before. Lucky in the fact the only insert the shop had left was actually the 69.1. mOngo was correct in stating the key to 12 gram play is the paint to bore size match. That being said it shot like a dream. I had a few moments during the game where the ball would double feed way but that was more than likely due to a bad ball rather than a problem with the marker. Had I not had the proper insert it would have double fed loading two balls in the tube. A quick tilt to allow the odd ball to fall back into the feed tube was all it took.

Secondly get to field early so you can get your spring set combo just right for the days play. After playing around for a bit I hit the chrono. If you are early you won’t interfere with everyone else attempting to dial in their electro’s. I was real excited to finally get to a chrono to check out the efficiency of my Redux.

Variables:
Approx 90 degrees (per iPhone weather reading) using a red radar chronograph, the stock springs that the Redux factory sent. I loaded up Green hammer (front) spring & Yellow valve (rear)spring, running a Lapco #6 / 4 port power tube, 1 RAP4 camo green 12 gram, forward assist pump spring in place I got a consistent 150 -148 for 5 shots. Being too low to be competitive I opted to replace the Green/Yellow combo with a Red Hammer spring and a green rear. I inserted a fresh 12 gram. Here were my results. No crapola I was so amazed & literally had to wipe the duck poo off my shoes.

1) 278
2) 278
3) 269
4) 277
5) 264
6) 268
7) 276
8) 271
9) 265
10) 261
11) 270
12) 262
13) 277
14) 259
15) 273
16) 265
17) 0 Dry shot forgot to tilt forward
18) 261
19) 275
20) 268
21) 273
22) 271
23) 268
24) 273
25) 256
26) 255
27) 268
28) 263
29) 275
30) 261
31) 267
32) 270
33) 265
34) 269
35) 261
36) 268
37) 254
38) 233
39) 202
40) 181
41) 171
42) 136
43) 107
44) 107 too low for an accurate reading 12 gram empty.

Thirdly: Learn your marker through and through.
My biggest learning curve was insuring the front ss screw that the retaining latch rests on was secure and the latch was inplace. I dropped the latch twice and had to back track scared to death I would not be able to play with my new toy. The problem was the fact the ss screw that it rests on was adjusted a bit loose from playing with it in the living room every night. I didn’t want to torque it down so the latch was free to pop up. I fixed this by removing the screw and fitting it with a very small o-ring. This allowed some pressure to be placed on the latch insuring it would not move. Maybe the Redux Factory can add this inexpensive little feature in the future. I also noticed the feed tube feeds fast, real fast the little space between the tube and the body allow a little pressure to be placed on the front ball. Stock class purists may get there onions in a bind but the truth is just about any stock class horizontal feeder feeds just as fast if the marker is tilted to forward. Keep in mind as with all feed tubes you must allow 1 ball space to rock it just a bit. If you fully load it up the pressure the balls place on each other will not allow the front ball to drop.

Throughout the day I only had one break, however due to perfect bore to ball size it cleared out in 2 or 3 shots. Thank goodness because I started to panic just a bit with all the electros coming down the hill for me. One thought went through my head. “How do you squeegee a Redux in the field?” All I had was the pull through and that would require disassembly. Get yourself a straight shot or other similar stick squeegee. After the game I went to clean out the barrel and I was surprised to find it was mirror clean. A lot has been said about the need quick decisive pump strokes. I have to disagree. If your paint fits your marker this is not an issue. Again great paint to bore fit is the key.

Finally have a good time, it will take a few games to get used to the Redux’s style of play. Those of you who are not used to iron sights or pistola’s you are going to have a blast learning how accurate and fun your new marker actually is. I have to say everyone was impressed with the Redux but you already knew that, it shot superbly. I held my own albeit not vs tournament caliber player’s but rather just everyday walk on’s shooting 500 balls a game.

Word to the wise test your marker before you hit the field blindly, know its limits ie; how many shot can a 12 gram get in YOUR marker. Get the feel for quick changes both tubes and 12 grams. Keep an eye on the locking lever or get an o-ring and forgeddaboutit. I went the extra mile and bought some of those black secure lids for my 10 round tubes. When it all hit the fan I would have lost the green ones no doubt about it.

Simple twist of the set screw allows a short crisp trigger pull.

Sure I am a Redux fan and I consider mOngo a dear friend and as such I have to give a fair and accurate description of the Redux and MY results. It wouldn’t benefit you or the great guys at the Redux factory if I did not. I have to say other than firing my buttery smooth Redux the best part of the day is when my newbie son lit his dad up like a Roman-Candle, alas a new paintballer has been born.

I have found MY fabled Lifetime Marker. I hope you find yours.
DSA

Redux Upgrade 1.1 Review

Last edited by DSA; 01-29-2009 at 04:13 PM. Reason: Added some more photos
DSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 07:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
Traded guns for cameras

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Very nice review. Next weekend I get mine!

Any idea of how many shots you put through yours so far? I'm just wondering on break in times. Thanks!
Frink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 07:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
Traded guns for cameras

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Nothing to see here...
Frink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 07:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
Post Whore

nice write up!!! sounds like you had a fun day.

those chrono results are awesome. i need to get me some springs and do some tuning. what brand/maker of springs are those???
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSA View Post
Ok choochie, the duck is not troubled, it's dated. The technology is old, it's like 8mm stop motion film reels, nothing will ever replace them, they are nostalgic one of a kind but for today's youth the expectations are CGI.
my feedback
c6quad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 08:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Gah... You guys are hurting me... I must own one of these....
Old 07-27-2008, 10:16 PM   #6 (permalink)
DSA
One in the Pipe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by c6quad View Post
nice write up!!! sounds like you had a fun day.

those chrono results are awesome. i need to get me some springs and do some tuning. what brand/maker of springs are those???
I have a little baggie with both madman and the stock ones sent. I cant tell them apart mainly because I didnt pay attention when I put them in the same bag.
Old 07-27-2008, 10:21 PM   #7 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCM Fan
Great review! Loved the data....Now I want one (again)!
sniper97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 06:24 PM   #8 (permalink)
DSA
One in the Pipe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frink View Post
Very nice review. Next weekend I get mine!

Any idea of how many shots you put through yours so far? I'm just wondering on break in times. Thanks!
Not even 250 rds its a bit amazing when you consider it could possibly get better with time.

Thinking about adding a Q-Loader

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper97 View Post
Great review! Loved the data....Now I want one (again)!
Thanks I tried to be as unbiased as possible.

Last edited by DSA; 07-28-2008 at 06:29 PM.
Old 07-28-2008, 07:09 PM   #9 (permalink)
Post Whore

do you have access to a dial caliper???

i'd like to know the size of the wire that both springs are made of. length would be nice too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSA View Post
Ok choochie, the duck is not troubled, it's dated. The technology is old, it's like 8mm stop motion film reels, nothing will ever replace them, they are nostalgic one of a kind but for today's youth the expectations are CGI.
my feedback
c6quad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 07:57 PM   #10 (permalink)
DSA
One in the Pipe!

I have an E-Tool and a swiss army knife. Other than that all my tools are scattered to the four winds I am finding screw drivers in the toothpaste drawer hammers in my underwear drawer etc. Thats what 16 months away from home will get ya! At least the cork screw was where it was suppose to be.

My Night Vision Dux

Last edited by DSA; 07-28-2008 at 10:20 PM. Reason: Added Night Vision

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » MCB Reviews It