mcarterbrown.com  

MCB Reviews It MCB Reviews it! Have a review of a new gun, or old gun you just tried? New Mask or Gear? Let us know what you think.

Old 10-16-2006, 01:52 AM   #1 (permalink)
No longer a RAP4 dealer

Send a message via AIM to Rap4paintball

Fan of EMR
Rap68 Pump Shotgun

I work for rap4 as a dealer, but I am tring to make this as un-biased as possible. Ok here we go.

I got the package in the mail and opened it right away knowing what it was (Thank you UPS tracking). The case it came in was made of thick injection molded plastic. I opened the two clasps and there lay this:

It came with the Marker, Gun case, 45 gram tank, Sliding stock, two hex wrenches, oil, a piece of cloth, and a very long Squeegee (which has a loop on the end to attach the cloth to).

My first impressions: Its a tad heavy, but this is from the mostly cast aluminum construction. The pump and grip are the only plastic pieces I noticed on the gun. Pump action is smooth and has a delay to make it seem more like the stroke of a real shotgun (2" stroke), but its kinda wobbly. The pump arm is metal. The barrel and feed tub have a very nice bead blasted flat black finish and the reciever and rear ASA assembly have smooth flat black finishes. The front site is lockable up or down, but not adjustable. The rear sights are adjustable, similar to m-16 style sights (windage and elevation) but it seems too big for the gun. Also the rear sight is a pain to adjust (mine needed some convincing before it would coperate). There is a sling stud on the barrel clamp that holds the barrel and feed tube together near the muzzle of the gun, and another on the sliding stock. There is an orange tip, while I dislike, its there for a reason. But it isnt obnoxious and is kinda small.

Preformance:

Loading:
The hardest part was figuring out how to load it, which took about 20 minutes as the directions aren't all that clear how to open the "feed gate". here is a step by step:

Flip the gun upside down, they say to point it muzzle down, but horizontaly it loads fine.

Depress the feed gate all the way and pull it back towards the rear of the gun (its spring loaded, it basically slides back itself)

Drop a paintball into the top of the feed tube (this is where it helps to have it muzzle down)

And push it into the tube about and inch and you will hear a small click.

Repeat untill about 14 rounds are in the tube and then place the last two rounds in the curved part of the feed tube going into the breech (We'll call it the Feedneck). Sorry about the fuzzy pictures and pink paint on the inside of the gun, I had tried to load one to many into the feed tube and broke a ball, and the inside of the reciever is a pain to clean

It is a slow process, and it does get quicker with practice, but still very slow. If your in a pinch you can throw one or two rounds into the feedneck, but if you have a couple of seconds you can put two paintballs in the feedneck and then keep pushing one thats in the feed neck into the tube with another paintball. And if there are three paintballs in the feed neck, and you close the feed gate, it will push the one sitting on the top of the feed tube, into the feed tube.
CAUTION: There is a spring loaded detent that holds the paint in the feedtube, when loading be careful not to hit it, or it will send the last few rounds you loaded into the feed tube, back into your hand. It takes some getting used to, and your probly not going to like it, but its something that takes some pratice and getting used to.

To close the just slide the feed gate forward, back to its original position, and make sure you hear it click into place.

Air-ing it up:
To swap out a tank you have to remove the stock body (pull the stock release button directly down) and then remove the stock locking pin but pushing the button on the botom of it where it connects to the marker and pulling it out. Then simply unscrew the tank and fill it.

I made up a mini fill station to fill it off of other co2 tanks such as a 20 oz. It is just two ASA's with steel braided air line connecting them. I would suggest using at least one on/off ASA as it will make filling your tank Much easier.

Then simply screw the tank in, and turn it on. (The Rap4 tanks have a on/off built into the tank itself)

Firing:
Simple pump and shoot operation. One trigger pull = one paintball, not several "shotgun style" paintballs at a time.

The Rap68 is fairly acurate, with white box paint (it doesnt seem to like my marbilizers left over from castle conquest two weeks ago, but most people had problems with their paint that weekend)

Overview:
The intimidation factor is amazing as its big, heavy, loud (16" non-ported barrel) no hopper, and no visible tank.

My verdict on the effiency had yet to be determinded because I dont have enough air to fully fill my 45 gram tank, but It seems to get atleast 40-50 shots off of what I can get in my tank (tank is 1/2-3/4 way full).

It is slow to load, I mean slow. This can be inproved with practice, but its still something that I dont look forward to. I'm working on some kind of spring loaded, speed feeder.

The action is smooth and it fires nicely with a load pop (It would look pretty darn cool with an Air America Intimidator on the end of the barrel).

It is a big gun and cumbersome at times, and it does weigh quite a bit more than a regular paintball marker. But this can be solved by taking off the tank and running remote without the remote stock adapter.

I would recomend this for those who really are into milsim, into limited paint games, heavly into pump, or just like big heavy, loud guns.

I wouldnt recomend this for, people who use alot of paint, inexperenced with pump play, or dont like the whole realistic aspect aka Milsim/scenaro players.

More pictures:

There are more pictures on the way, some more preformance testing, And a how to video.

My Feedback

Last edited by Azzy; 10-16-2006 at 02:30 AM. Reason: fixed image link
Rap4paintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 02:26 AM   #2 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Send a message via AIM to Tesko Send a message via MSN to Tesko

That's a picatinny style mounting rail on top, right?
Is the orange tip paint, or simply a plastic cover on the tip of the barrel?
Is the rear sight removable?
How is it maintenance wise?
Any idea when you're "speed feed" mod will be developed?

Being a bugger with all the questions, I know, but I'm quite intrigued and getting close to buying one through you.
Tesko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 02:40 AM   #3 (permalink)
Post Whore

I would like to know how easy it is, or isn't, to disassemble?
Approximately how long re-loading takes?
What valve system does it use?

These aren't urgent questions just personal curiousity. Thanks in advance for any answers.
Duzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 05:17 AM   #4 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

They should make one with just a regular shotgun style grip and stock, not the 45 grip with the adjustable stock. That would be so much better looking. If they looked more like a real shotgun, I would definitely consider selling some stuff to get one, they look good, but would be a whole lot better if they actually had the shotgun style stock and grip.

Allfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 07:04 AM   #5 (permalink)
Pumpers use both hands.

Nice thank you. I just might have to pick one of these up. Though I would want the other stock not the car style stock.
Old 10-16-2006, 07:06 AM   #6 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Send a message via ICQ to Fenix Send a message via AIM to Fenix Send a message via MSN to Fenix Send a message via Yahoo to Fenix Send a message via Skype™ to Fenix

very cool
Fenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 12:19 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allfat View Post
They should make one with just a regular shotgun style grip and stock, not the 45 grip with the adjustable stock. That would be so much better looking. If they looked more like a real shotgun, I would definitely consider selling some stuff to get one, they look good, but would be a whole lot better if they actually had the shotgun style stock and grip.
If it looked like a real shotgun?

It does. Im sure it's based on this.

http://www.fnhusa.com/contents/sg_tactical.htm

Which, might I add, I almost bought....except the stock gave it a funny feel.
Im interested to see if the RAP feels the same.

It looks well built, if not totally impractical.
maswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 12:51 PM   #8 (permalink)
Passing through rider

Fan of EMR
Brass N Wood Fan
Only problem with a different stock is that the tank needs to fit in the stock with how the RAP guns run a gas source.
Riverside Renegade Paintball / C.C. S.V.S. Plankowner - LPPC#6
www.AzzysDesignWorks.com - best replacement jeep gauges in the biz
Old Timer Feedback
Azzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 04:46 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

...very loud with 16" barrel and 50 shoots from 45g CO2... that looks like very ineffecient marker...
3022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 08:00 PM   #10 (permalink)

Interesting.. how much are these running again?
Sheazer is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » MCB Reviews It