mcarterbrown.com  

MCB Reviews It MCB Reviews it! Have a review of a new gun, or old gun you just tried? New Mask or Gear? Let us know what you think.

Old 04-22-2006, 03:46 PM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Stechele

Thumbs up Q-loader

Well my Q-loader came in! I had ordered the 200rnd Q-loader package with the CMS upgrade kit. It arrived nicely packaged in thick cardboard box. After examining the contents of the box I quickly started trying to figure out a way to mount the Q-loader under the forearm of my SP8. Unfortunately due to time and supply restraints I was unable to attach it to my SP8. I will work on that later.

So I used the basic mounting system to mount it to my Automag. It is very simple to install, and comes with nicely done instructions. The feed tube between the mounting system and the feedneck is the only part that needs adjustment out of the box. Make sure to take your time when adjusting the feed tube, because if it is not adjusted properly you can and will chop a ball when changing pods.

The Q-pods come prewound from the manufacturer, but some adjustment might be necessary to get optimum performance out of the pods. If the spring has too many prewinds, it could possibly break pballs in pods. If it is not prewound enough, all the pballs wont feed out of the pods. The instructions recommends between 10 and 16 prewinds to the spring.

On Friday I manage to get out of the house and go play. So I bring my Mag so I can try out the Q-loader. I was a little concerned at first, because I only have 2 pods (200 rounds). There was nobody at the field at first so we just dorked around for a bit. Soon a small group of 4 friends (~15 years old) showed up. During the day the ref ran 2 games then a break to reload then 2 games. Rinse and repeat. With the low profile (no hopper) I was able to pick off a few players without them noticing me at all. Not once did I run out of paint during a 2 game period. Which brings me to my only gripe about the Q-loader: Reloading.

Reloading from the silo takes a bit longer than just dumping paint in a pod. You have to make sure that there are no gaps in the reloading tube while reloading. I had to stop every few winds to shake the silo to fill the tube.
This is only a tiny gripe, and nothing detrimental. Reloading is actually very simple. You simply take your empty q-pod and install it into the reloading cup. Then crank the handle on the cup to start winding paintballs into the q-pod.

During the day, the only problem I ran into is that I chopped a ball while changing pods. I didn’t take the time to cut the feed tube to proper length. My laziness allowed a paintball to hang out halfway inside the mounting cup. When I inserted a fresh pod I chopped the paintball in half, making for a nice mess, and feeding issues. After clearing the debris, it functioned properly. Cleanup is a breeze. After carefully disassembling the q-pod (which is simple), I put everything (except the spring) in a warm bath of dish soap water. There is not much in the way of maintenance, and it comes with a lifetime warranty.

I am very much pleased with the Q-loader system, and glad I finally purchased one. I got to find my camera and take some pics.

edit: pics

Last edited by Stechele; 04-29-2006 at 07:58 PM.
Stechele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 05:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

My old room-mate had one that I got to play with a couple of times...your review sums it up very nicely. One thing I did learn is that a cheap (quantum/revy) electronic loader will work much better for re-loading your pods than that silo they provide.
Brinstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 06:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
Sh*t, I'm a mod?

Fan of EMR
Brass and Wood Fan
Ive did that same thing when setting up last night.. just got to read the directions and cut the tube right

Used one for the frist tiem today. Found out I need to pre-wind a bit more, and that some of the original stuff isnt the best in the world, but it gets the job doen (had a few bits crack here and there.. ). then again, i purchased mine used, so that might have something to do with it.
Riverside Renegade Paintball / C.C. S.V.S. Plankowner - LPPC#6
TeamADW.com - Maker of Jeep ThingsOld Timer Feedback
Azzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 07:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
Only "PART" Canadian

I love mine. I don't use it as much as I want to.
Uranus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 05:38 AM   #5 (permalink)
I've porked many

I purchased one with the upgraded mounting kit and five pods. It's a little bit of a pain to load the pods, but overall I'm happy with it. The low profile is great as well as the feed rate. I'd buy one again.

My Feedback Thread[/SIZE][/SIZE]
pillage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 08:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
GWC Lifetime Member

Be carfull with them. the mount breaks VERY easly. Never even got mine to the feild.
Al Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 09:39 PM   #7 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Stechele

What portion of the mount? I am assuming the plastic cup? Was yours a version 1 or 2? I have been torquing on my CMS kit to test out the bracket I made for my SP8. It is doing fine. Didnt have any problems with the standard mount either.
Old 05-15-2006, 03:48 PM   #8 (permalink)
Sh*t, I'm a mod?

Fan of EMR
Brass and Wood Fan
I have the first gen ones, and they have stress fractures in the plastic. The 2nd ones look much sturdier.
Old 07-21-2006, 02:58 PM   #9 (permalink)
MCB Member

Fan of EMR
Brass and Wood Fan
Is there enough room on the power feed to connect the Q-Loader to the bottom instead of the top?

-MR
DarkStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 03:15 PM   #10 (permalink)
Sh*t, I'm a mod?

Fan of EMR
Brass and Wood Fan
With some delicate cutting of the elbow that would work, but then you would need to find one of those long feed plugs

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » MCB Reviews It