mcarterbrown.com  

MCB Reviews It MCB Reviews it! Have a review of a new gun, or old gun you just tried? New Mask or Gear? Let us know what you think.

Old 05-04-2009, 12:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
Owner of Crazy Cats

CCM Fan
Guerilla Air Machete Dovetail

Well working in in a store that sells paintball gear has its perks, one is I get my hands on some items for pretty cheap and get to put them through the ringer and give people my thoughts on them. All the stuff I review is my own personal stuff and I try to give it an honest opinion.

Here it goes:

Today's is the Guerilla Air Machete Dovetail.
One of my good friends has a SP Impulse that has a New Designz dropkick on it and I liked the way it felt on the gun, so I have in the back of my mind sorta been looking for something similar to that to add on to one of my many markers. While at Paintball Extravaganza, i went to the Guerilla Air booth and Spied this little goodie. Felt really nice on the marker they mounted it to and gave a little bit of an angle to the tank on the gun so that i coud get a little tighter behind the marker.
After we got back we ordered a few of them on my suggestion.
I finally got to test this out on the weekend on a CCM'd Superstock pump with a Guerilla Air 68/45.

Thoughts:
I mounted the dovetail onto a few of my markers (FS7, 06 Ego, Lightning Cocker) just to see how it felt on them and get a feeling of how it might be on the pump. On all of the guns it brought the tank up at about a 5 degree angle making the tank "feel" a little smaller then it is but it does also move the tank back slightly which made my Crossfire 45/68 feel "uncomfy" on the dovetail. I decided that it mated best with the Guerilla Air 45/68 since the tank is about 1" shorter then the Crossfire.
A neat feature that the dove tail does have is that it does have a dove tail mount built into it so it slides onto the 06 ego's frame rather then mounting it to the bottom of the frame. Also instead of having 2 holes that the gripframe screws go through they milled out the middle of the dovetail so that you can mount it loosely to the frame and have a little bit of room to move the dovetail around to get it feeling "right". the screws are also recessed into this area to so that they don't stick out and get covered in paint. The back the ASA is rounded in such a way that you can butt it up to the back of your frame and have it nice and tight to the gun. One of the issues that i had with the design is the air line comes out of the bottom of the ASA. I have had a dovetail that was like that before and ran into problems when i would crawl in the snake with it. To fix this I just ran a 90 degree fitting out the bottom and put a 90 degree macroline fitting on it. Hopefully I don't get any leaks form the line but we will see. I also handed it off to others to get their thoughts on it and the general consensus was that they liked the way that it felt on the pump.
Another problem I ran into was that you need to put a drop of oil on the tank o-ring when threading in the tank to the ASA to get the ASA to seal sooner. While threading in the tank i bled out roughly 300 PSI. Not a big problem when using a pump but it is annoying never the less. After that I left the tank on the gun till the end of the day and would just hand the marker to the guy filling the tanks. It also seems that it doesn't seal until you get pretty much to the end of the threads in the ASA, so if the gauge is digging into your arm you have no adjustment to that.
Also one thing i did notice is that the dovetail moved the point of balance on my marker to where it sits on my hand making it easy to have it sit on my hand while pumping the gun.

Pros:
moves the tank to a nicer angle
very adjustable for a dovetail
moves balance point on gun slightly

Cons:
air line comes out bottom
will leak outta bleed hole till tank is fully screwed in (i usually lose 300 - 400 psi)

Conclusion:
This is not a magic answer to make yourself play better but it does make the set up on your marker a little nicer. I would definitely see how it feels before throwing it on your gun to see if you like it. I could see this being a "love it/hate it" item.

Edit:
I did find a way to get the ASA to not leak as much by adding a tank o-ring infront of the valve when putting the tank on and also adding a bit of lube to it to get it to stay in place. Also don't add a "big" o-ring or you will get mega shoot down (found that out with my FS-7) as the pin on the tank is not depressed far enough to allow the tank to recharge normally.

Thunder Bay Pump Club
Dementia Paintball
MCB Feedback

Last edited by EgoPossum; 05-24-2009 at 09:17 PM. Reason: adding picture and more notes
EgoPossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 12:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
Mod/mod

Fan of EMR
Nice review. Keep it up, please.

Pics would be a cool bonus.

Drum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 05:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
STICKERS!

Send a message via MSN to Ryantuomi

CCM Fan
Craig, we need to get some pics up.. great review.

Ryantuomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 06:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via Yahoo to oggfueler

Would like to see what it looks like mounted with a tank attached.
oggfueler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 07:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
HI = A Pumper's Paradise

Send a message via AIM to 808raoul

AKA Fan
I was wondering if anybody had an issue w/ diving and damaging the fitting since the fitting is sticking out of the bottom of the Dovetail.

Anybody gots to sell:
-CCM S5 Vert ASA (any color)
-CCM 3-way (silver)
-Line SI Bushmaster Pointman handle
808raoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 09:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via AIM to BigOldSkool

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Ah ha! So it points the tank up.. Ive never been able to figure out that ASA online.

I may have to grab one now I kinda like it.

RIP - Ed "BigDaddy" Roth and "Indian" Larry
Wild Geese - Coney Isand White Fish - ECA
BOS's Feedback!
What Serial Number Is Your Cocker? WTB
ECAP - "Making players dreams other players nightmares"
COUSINS PAINTBALL
BigOldSkool is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 11:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
STICKERS!

Send a message via MSN to Ryantuomi

CCM Fan
Here is a pic of EgoPossum's pump with the Machete.

Ryantuomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 04:00 AM   #8 (permalink)
Yngling Half troll

Send a message via AIM to EDDAKA Send a message via MSN to EDDAKA

These would work great on phantoms.
Old 05-05-2009, 07:14 PM   #9 (permalink)
Pif
12g4L

Kilt Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDDAKA View Post
These would work great on phantoms.
Exactly what I was thinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usagi Tetsu
Velcor is within all of us, you need not go looking for him. He sayeth, "wherever two or more of you are gathered, there shall I be." He is my solid bunker for me to hide behind from the incoming fire of mine enemies, He is the functioning regulator which keepeth my shots consistent, and He is my keen eye guiding my fire towards my hidden enemies. Yea, whosoever shall believeth in Him shall be guided by His right hand towards the flag, and whosoever denieth Him shall reside for all eternity in the Deadbox of Life.
Pif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 01:12 AM   #10 (permalink)
Owner of Crazy Cats

CCM Fan
i will have to take a better pic later
Thunder Bay Pump Club
Dementia Paintball
MCB Feedback
EgoPossum is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » MCB Reviews It