mcarterbrown.com  

MCB Reviews It MCB Reviews it! Have a review of a new gun, or old gun you just tried? New Mask or Gear? Let us know what you think.

Old 10-07-2009, 10:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
Power Lurker

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Palmers Fan
JCurt's Chop Shop Phantom Undercocking Pump Kit

JCurts Pumps Link

I had recently been feeling like getting an undercocking kit for my Phantom.
I decided to try out our MCB Airsmiths and saw that JCurt was making one. He offers two lengths on the pump and I chose the shorter length, which is hefty enough for me to grip fully. I have very slim fingers.

I ordered on a Sunday and received it the same week.
The kit has a nice heavy delrin pump, un-anodized aluminum block, and steel guide rod.

The machining on the delrin is top notch and the holes match the guide rod perfectly. In fact initially the pump hole was such a smooth and perfect match that it made a vacuum seal on the guide rod rendering it very difficult to pump. After sitting and pumping it for awhile it broke in enough to break the seal. Now it is quite smooth and a great fit on the guide rod.

Having played with the pump on this weekend at pump day I am quite pleased with it. It is a highly functional pump kit, very smooth, and I like having the straight line of sight down the barrel. This kit compares very well to the best kits I have used, including dual guide rod kits. The tight fit on the guide rod keeps it very stable. It is far superior to the Wevo pump kits I have used, which I found difficult to pump and hold on to. I have not yet tried the CCI Undercocking pump, which looks very similar.

Problems:

-Machine Marks on the block, minor but visible. See picture above.

-Un-anodized block. I wish the block was available in color matched anodizing, but alas, it is not.

-Edges on the block are sharp, they never bothered me while playing, but I would like to see them biased to be extra safe. I don't like getting poked by sharp gear.

-I found the pump guide needed to be loctited in or it would quickly wiggle out. After loctiting I had no problems with it backing out.

Overall:

I am very pleased with this kit. It is smooth, inexpensive, and highly functional. Which is what I am most concerned with. It feels rugged and well put together. While there are a couple of very small things I would change about it I have no hesitation in recommending this kit to MCB.

Thanks to JCurt455 for providing excellent service and communication alongside a very solid product.
There are additional pictures and ordering information in the link at the top of this review.

Old PBN Feedback

Last edited by hellion360; 10-07-2009 at 10:25 PM.
hellion360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 12:15 AM   #2 (permalink)
jus a fat hawaiian !!!

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
Very nice review hellion ! the pump handle looks just a little smaller than ccm's pump handle . Does the block in your opinion seem to big and in the way ? Because in the pictures , it looks bulky .
Old 10-08-2009, 11:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
Power Lurker

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Palmers Fan
I was also initially concerned with it. But once I started playing I did not notice it once. So I guess it is an appropriate size. I am sure it could have been made smaller, but it is nice and solid, so I am not complaining.

The small pump is about the size of the normal CCM pump.

Old PBN Feedback
hellion360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 03:32 AM   #4 (permalink)
jus a fat hawaiian !!!

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
thank you sir !
Old 10-09-2009, 04:38 PM   #5 (permalink)

I like this kit much more than the ones with the sniper style kits...they always seem a bit flimsy to me.
I am a survivor.
"I Survived H1N1 And All I Got Was This Lousy Sig"-TheDude
MCB Feedback.
Overkillforeva is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » MCB Reviews It