mcarterbrown.com  

Miscellaneous Markers Various Paintball Guns / Markers

Old 12-26-2010, 01:10 AM   #1 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

ICE Epic reviews?

I've been asking for advice over in the New Players area about buying a semi marker to supplement my lightly-Palmerized Piranha LB and my Phantom VSC. To paraphrase, my priorities are, in rough order:

- Accuracy
- Reliability/Consistency
- Price
- Light weight
- Ability to run on CO2 until I can get HPA
- ROF (in other words, high ROF is basically my lowest priority)
- Quirkiness...I like unusual markers

After some searching around (and seeing this great video by cockerpunk about it), I'm interested in learning more about the ICE Epic. I'd especially love to hear the opinions of folks who have owned and used them for some time, so if you know someone with one of these, please tell them to come take a look and respond.

First off, do you guys (especially ICE Epic owners) buy the argument made over in New Players that any paintball gun can be very accurate if it's clean and has a great paint-to-bore match? If so, then I don't guess it's all that worthwhile to ask about the Epic's accuracy, since the answer will just be "get a Freak kit and a good barrel and you'll drive tacks." But let me know if you have another opinion.

My big reason for wanting to hear from long-time Epic users/owners is that the gun violates my "Price is a priority" rule, so I want to make damn sure that it doesn't violate my "Reliability is a priority" rule! I want to know how well it's held up under months or years of use. As a bit of an odd duck in the paintball world, it's not like there'll be dozens of airsmiths ready to work on it, nor will there be a ton of replacement parts available, nor lots of upgrades to add to it to make up for eventual faults. Therefore, I want to know in advance what it is I'll be getting.

So, let me hear from ya!

Randy...
randyshipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 11:44 AM   #2 (permalink)
MCB Member

While not a "long time" owner I've had an Epic for going on a year and I love it.

It actually bumped my Blazer out of its primary spot (which has been my go to marker for 4 years) after just one use.

Accuracy is pretty consistent with my 10" .689 CP and my .690 PPS.

But not really a gun to paint/bore match on unless you have the trap door pro kit that has a hook on the door that pushes the ball into the barrel then you might want to go with a mid gauge back. But overboring isn't a bad idea.

But I'm not too keen on noticing significant differences with accuracy between markers. I'm more over interested in how the marker feels than everything else.

Reliability wise, haven't had any issues with either of my Epics. Thou, I go with the, if it works don't mess with it approach. Doing the recommended maintenance, rather than tearing it down after every use. Consistency, Co2 +/- 7, HPA +/-5 so far with the new Epic, might change after more use.

Price, about the same hit to your wallet as a Blazer ($385 + new from ICE, be sure to set aside a several months for waiting) but used they still float around $300.

Weight, sits around the same as a mag.

Use CO2 yep, Anti siphon helps.

ROF: Decent trigger, feels like a Classic valve mag.

Quirkiness: Feels different from everything else I've shot.

Last edited by Maj Tom; 12-27-2010 at 11:48 AM.
Maj Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 04:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
My "brother"

CCM Fan
My friend bought one brand new, was a total nightmare.

first thing that happened was the actual trap door rod snapped....

then it started leaking from the trigger guard

and it always chopped paint quite a bit...for some reason.

in the end he got a full refund, which is good customer service..but stil...

and BTW, if you watch cocker punks videos/punk works..you'll know that one marker isnt more accurate than another some exceptions apply, mis-manufactured barrels ect, massive over or underbores....)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark_controller View Post
I am a fag.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dark_controller View Post
thats what happens when i leave mcb up at work.....
Julien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 01:38 AM   #4 (permalink)
 User

CCM Fan
Ive been looking to buy one for quite some time now, but have had absolutely no luck reaching anyone at insight. I've emailed a couple times, and called numerous times, not once, by any means did i get i response.

Which is just truly unfortunate for me, because i would also like to buy an ICE Epic. If you have any luck, or information on how to buy one new please let me know!

09 impulse for SALE!
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 11:27 AM   #5 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
Ive been looking to buy one for quite some time now, but have had absolutely no luck reaching anyone at insight. I've emailed a couple times, and called numerous times, not once, by any means did i get i response.

Which is just truly unfortunate for me, because i would also like to buy an ICE Epic. If you have any luck, or information on how to buy one new please let me know!
Was trying to get another new one as well, haven't had contact since the 16th.

But that's been the pace so far, one reply a month. Even with the previous DV8 I've bought. But that only took 2 months to get out the door. But that was a simple "off the rack" option.

Been trying to get this current one since Sept. Apparently machine shops in his area are dropping as fast as the ones around here. And raw parts are not something he normally stocked. So I'm stuck until he gets a complete Raw Epic before he can send it to 125 for anno. Which is currently where we are now (waiting for 1 or 2 final parts then money can finally change hands and parts can be sent).

If you really want one new, go for the standard options and keep trying. But apparently my patience and trust surpasses what most people would allocate for such a transaction. But that's the nature of the beast.

Last edited by Maj Tom; 01-10-2011 at 11:31 AM.
Maj Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 12:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

I'm waiting on delivery of a Classic Mag from an eBay seller. I decided to go less expensive in the near term. If I'm still loving my return to paintball in the summer or something, maybe I'll revisit the Epic. It's still a heck of an interesting gun! I definitely want you guys to keep posting your experiences here, especially Nick and Maj. Tom. If one of you ever gets him on the phone, ask if it's possible to get DV8 with a single-finger trigger.

Thanks for the info, guys!

Randy...
randyshipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 12:10 PM   #7 (permalink)
Serving Tea for CCM

Send a message via AIM to senghing27

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
I like my Ice Epic. I had a few issues with it when it comes to the trap door, but it turned out I had an incorrect trap door in.

The marker shoots great, all you really do is oil it every now and then. It's light and it's comfy to shoot.

It's a very unique marker to shoot as well. If you can get one to try out, do it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cLM--Noue0
~My Feedback~
senghing27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 12:52 PM   #8 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via AIM to MrBig

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
RTP Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maj Tom View Post
While not a "long time" owner I've had an Epic for going on a year and I love it.

It actually bumped my Blazer out of its primary spot (which has been my go to marker for 4 years) after just one use.
I shelved my Blazer after using my Epic as well.
Old 01-18-2011, 10:22 AM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

I've had 3 over the years and loved them all. I just don't play semi enough to justify having many semi's around and the epic have always had less sentimental attachment so they were the ones sold. They are excellent. My only beef was with the "trap door pro" I prefer the original style. Buy one! You won't be sorry and if by chance you are they are easy to move along to the next owner. Heck buy one and if you don't like it I'll buy it. I miss mine.
Pump_paintballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 08:51 PM   #10 (permalink)
Inline Mechs

I got two of'em and they're excellent markers. As reliable as my 2 dozen Model 98's but more consisent, lighter, smaller, tighter and virtually no recoil.

My only complaint is the ergonomics of the built-in, angled ASA at the bottom rear of the grip. You either go with the bottle angled back and down, or get a drop forward which makes it even taller.

Jim is difficult to get a hold of, be aware he's been dealing with an on-going illness, but just stay determined--the product is worth it.

I agree, skip the Trap Door Pro and stick with the original. Yes, Jim still has some old, original Epic parts left and should be able to dig up a single-trigger frame for your DV8 (he did for me, and it was blue!). I'd also recommend you buy the spare parts kits now, for far in the future when you need them and they're no longer available.

By the way, if you find/request-if-available an original left-feed body, you can attach the DV8 offset-vertical feed to it to make a horizontal left-feed marker. Add a Warp Feed and you've an even tighter marker.

I hope this helps and you buy this wonderfully unique and remarkable marker. Good luck!
- ICD Desert Fox vertical ASA
- NW QDs
- older Model 98 stuff:AirTipps, Hypur, BSI, InnovativeWrks, JMJ
- 'Mag accessories: Airwalk V2 frame, black Galatic Systemz Z-body, PTP Red Nights MicroMag, "Rental" valve
Walking Stick is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Miscellaneous Markers