mcarterbrown.com  

Money and Finance Because you have to save money to spend it on new paintball stuff!

Old 01-24-2013, 12:33 PM   #11 (permalink)
MCB Member

Fan of EMR
Nice, I check every coin I get my hands on to see if it's silver. I have a 40% half dollar and a 90% quarter that I got as change, the rest of my 'junk' silver has been bought though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP_Lovecraft View Post
I'm no hippie, but I do lack any sense of style.
Murph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:47 PM   #12 (permalink)
I like Guns and Cigars.

I can't imagine investing heavily in precious metals at these highly inflated prices. There is so much money to be made in stocks in the coming years, and so much to be lost in precious metals.

Otter Customs Paintball - - - - Straight Up Cigars - - - - My Feedback
maggot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:47 PM   #13 (permalink)
MCB Member

Where do you guys buy your gold/silver? What is the cut off year for coins that were silver?
bellicose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:09 PM   #14 (permalink)
Resurgence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Painthappy View Post
Buy Silver or Buy Bullets? Why not both?

Silver Bullet Bullion™
Heh, that's pretty intereting. I might start buying one or two of those a pay check on top of what I put in my 401k. If not for the investment potential, but it'd also be a pretty neat thing to collect.
docholiday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:40 PM   #15 (permalink)
I've porked many

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellicose View Post
Where do you guys buy your gold/silver? What is the cut off year for coins that were silver?
1964 for silver US coins. I separate out copper pennies from the zinc/copper clad ones too.
U.S. Silver Coin Weight Conversion and Melt Value Calculator
United States Coin Values - Coinflation

My Feedback Thread[/SIZE][/SIZE]
pillage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:50 PM   #16 (permalink)
Big guy in a wig

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by pillage View Post
1964 for silver US coins. I separate out copper pennies from the zinc/copper clad ones too.
U.S. Silver Coin Weight Conversion and Melt Value Calculator
United States Coin Values - Coinflation

Are you a copper hoarder? I have a friend who has 6+ 55 gallon drums of copper pennies just waiting for the day they do away with the penny as legal tender. Of course that will be the day copper prices drop to record lows.
Feedback
The Flounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:55 PM   #17 (permalink)
Slowly making progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flounder View Post
Are you a copper hoarder? I have a friend who has 6+ 55 gallon drums of copper pennies just waiting for the day they do away with the penny as legal tender. Of course that will be the day copper prices drop to record lows.
That's a whole lot of pennies, but a pretty decent idea.

>>> Link to prototype Dust Devil<<<

DT1 Dust Devil want list. Click me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by neftaly View Post
New advertising tagline: "Simon Stevens said that will be totally fine and nothing bad could ever happen. Ever."
Feedback
desertT1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:31 PM   #18 (permalink)
MaD
MCB Member

Metals are interesting and I've picked up a bit. I generally just look for deals or buy small stuff I think is fun to have. There are a lot of different perspectives and predictions on the topic. I just use common sense. Look at the charts and make your own decision.

I saw an interview with Warren Buffett where they asked him what he thought of investing in Gold. His perspective was basically that it's a meaningless investment. You're investing in a piece of metal that has only a perceived value. It doesn't DO anything. He talked about investing in business that add positive value to society. I thought it was an interesting perspective...
DIY Paintball Stuff!

Note: While I would love to take credit for his work, I am not associated with Mad Customs!
You can contact BigMatt-MadCustoms in his MCB forum
MaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:12 PM   #19 (permalink)

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
heres my stash, mostly silver bullion and coin. Some gold grams, and a 87.5% 1868 philipines gold peso. The rest is 20 years of buffalo nickels book, $1 silver certificate 2 1905 indian pennies.

Old 01-24-2013, 06:46 PM   #20 (permalink)
Post Whore

The problem with many precious metals is how little useful purposes many of them have. They are being driven to artificial highs by people entering into the cycle of "It is valuable because it is valuable". Kind of like how some 'celebrities' are famous. They haven't done anything worth noting, but the media keeps talking about them because the viewers keep listening. One little bump and people stop caring.

Investors buy gold because gold is valuable. Buying gold drives up the price, and other investors watch that price rise. They look at the history of its price and see it has steadily risen for ages, declare it a "good investment", and decide that they want to buy some of their own while it is still going up. More people want gold, price gets driven up, early investors start selling, and a relatively small amount of gold cycles between hands as the price keeps rising. (Consider that gold once had a huge value for sanitation reasons. It was basically the only material we had that didn't readily tarnish. Because of how many of its previous 'productive' uses have been replaced by other modern materials, and how much more effectively we can mine it, the 'useful' amount of gold compared to supply has actually dropped in the last 100 years. According to supply and demand concept it should be worth less today than it was before.)

In a way you're really buying in to a very awkward pyramid scheme of sorts with gold, and if an event big enough shakes the world to the point that everyone starts considering what they actually have and how it helps them survive,... Well, you can't eat a gold bar. (Technically you can, but it won't do much good for you. Mostly just pass through you, possibly kill you if you ate enough at once.)
Luckless is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Money and Finance