mcarterbrown.com  

Money and Finance Because you have to save money to spend it on new paintball stuff!

Old 02-13-2013, 12:29 AM   #11 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Painthappy View Post
Credit cards with cash back. I have the capital one card: Cash Rewards for Newcomers | Details

I pay a yearly fee, but it pays for itself. I get 2% cash back to go towards any travel related expenses (1% to whatever else). So the 2% pays for my hotels, rental cars, flights.

Works out real well for me. I use my card for general purchases, pay it off every month (this is key folks... keep track of your purchases and cash, and don't go negative). And I get my hotel rooms for free when I go to EMR.

Just checked my rewards balance, and I have $209 to go towards travel or hotel right now. I think they only charge me $35 to have that ability. Yeah, it pays for itself.

Again, the true key to making this work is to let the credit card work FOR you, not against you. You can't make flippant purchases. Have an allowance, and never spend more than what you have put aside to pay off the card.
There's a new fee free cash rewards card with 1% cash back on all purchases and a 50% anniversary bonus, so you net 1.5% over 12 months. If you aren't spending enough on travel to bring your average to 1.5% it could be worth it for you to switch, plus you save on your AMF.

World of Tanks Profile

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCM CHICK View Post
I say to you with love in my heart... your a whore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scharfschutze91 View Post
i like the zipper... pullover's hurt when i take them off. I gel my hair everyday so when I pull it off it snags on my hair and hurts.
mrmag11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:43 AM   #12 (permalink)
I am not a macodomy!!

Morning coffee..brew your own from home. It only takes a few extra minutes and could save you $6-$25 a work week. And even if you have the Kurig you can get the filter cup for ground coffee for $15 and a large can of brand name coffee for $7 that will last at least a few months.
Buy you meat from a butcher or meat seller not the grocery store. We luckily have two food centers that sell large packages of meat (lol I said package and meat) in bulk at great savings. I can get chicken breasts in a 10lb bag for $1.69 a lb instead of neatly packaged @ $3.99-$4.99 a pound, that's a number of dinners over the month instead of two for the same price. Cut the chicken up to what you will use or like and freeze it until needed. Same goes for bulk ground beef in the large bag or family packs of steak,chops or sausage. You can save hundreds of dollars for a few minutes of work portioning it up for dinners or lunches which leads to the other money saving cooking at home which has been stated allready.
Depending where you live a small to medium garden with some good producing plants can save you a decent amount on fresh produce. I plant a few tomato plants and peppers and have salsa and fresh maters and peppers for my salads and chili's. Even a patio tomato plant can give you quite a few tomatos over summer and wont take up much space.
Yes much of my savings comes from food since I'm a mizer when it come wasting money on something I'm gonna poop out later so I always look for the cheapest meals.
Don't buy the bagged pre made salad mix, since it's mostly crammed with carrots and purple cabbage anyhow and always seems to rot like the day after you use it. You can get a head of lettuce which when wrapped up and stored in the crisper it can last a week after being cut into. See where I'm going here, the quick fix foods are the ones that get you, yes they are quicker and easier but can cost you hundreds of dollars a month in food bills. There are tons of grocery saving tips, coupons, buying only stuff on sale, generics, not shopping while hungry, plan your dinners for the month so you buy only what you need, etc. just a few of these can save you at least a few bucks every time you shop.
Don't like cooking every night, make a big meal or meals on the weekend or Sunday and you have leftovers or premade dinners for the week with only having to microwave or heat in the oven when coming home from work or whatever.
Just some of my shopping money saving ways I have used over the last few years.
caplucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:25 AM   #13 (permalink)
Just Some Guy

Avoid credit card late fees by setting up your online banking to pay the credit card company $30 a couple of days after your credit card statement is generated (but way before you receive it). That way if you forget to pay on time at least your minimum payment has been made and you avoid the late fee.

My Feedback
MarkT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:15 AM   #14 (permalink)
ton up boy

Donīt know how much a lunch costs around your parts, itīs bloody expensive here.
We always cook some extra the day before and eat that for lunch.

It saves about 2k a year per person, and itīs better than some lunchbar crap.
(of course depends on your ability to cook good food)

Planning your groceries gets you a real long way, always have a list so you donīt impulse buy anything at store.
We go twice a week and have planned out what we are going to prepare, and strictly buy what is needed to those meals.

Quitting smoking also saves about 2k a year.

Keep a short hair. Iīve been rocking a "skinhead look" for the past 15 years.
Saves a ton when you can just cut it yourself every now an then.
Of course need to have a suitable head to look good.

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html

Last edited by baader; 02-13-2013 at 04:19 AM.
baader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:11 AM   #15 (permalink)
Village Idiot

Send a message via AIM to Greenmtnphantom Send a message via MSN to Greenmtnphantom

Fan of EMR
Not sure how many do this but it doesn't hurt to ask. Next time you need Ground Beef and some other beef in on sale cheaper, take the package of meat to the meat departments counter and ask them to grind it up for you. I know the local Price Choppers do it, not sure who else.

Something I want to get back to because I think it saved me money is pay cash for my cars. For the longest time I bought cheap cars on cash and drove them until they died. Usually I was buying a car using cash every 2-3 years and Most always paid less in repairs and initial purchase than I do now in payments and repairs.
Since this thread started with boobs what are we supposed to derail it with?
Stock class = 12grams and a stick feed. End discussion.
Greenmtnphantom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:08 AM   #16 (permalink)
Memento mori.

Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
The added benefit of paying cash for a car, or at least buying it outright, is you don't need to carry full insurance (fire, theft, glass, etc.) you only need liability. If you are stuck in a car loan and need to carry this insurance, consider taking out a personal loan to pay off the car loan, then lose the unwanted insurance.

I have a cell phone provided by work. my wife has a prepay Net 10 phone she uses rarely. We are going to try and replace our home phone with Magicjack. Sandy had us doubting ourselves on the issue, but I think we are going to give it a try.

As mentioned, think before you buy about the differences between "wants" and "needs." I do always say you should treat yourself once in a while though, maybe keep an affordable hobby.
Finnigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:26 PM   #17 (permalink)
Happy and homeless

Send a message via Skype™ to sparky

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJOttawa View Post
^^^ On that note: CELLULAR DATA PLANS!

I don't know what the cost is in the USA but in Canada, your basic cell plan could run $30-50 and data another $20-30 on top of that.

That's $50-$80 per month for a "want." Yeah, it's "nice" to have - it's not a need.

FYI: you can have Gmail forward email to an SMS address. You'll only get the first 260 characters but at least you'll know who it's from and the subject. If you have unlimited SMS, this doesn't cost you a cent.
Depends really on who you are. I don't have internet at home or at work, but need a phone for work. I use the data to use Skype, which actually saves me a pile of money on long distance (women lives in the US, I live Canada).

How to save money, or make money from stuff you already have. I could write a book on this.

First and foremost, don't get yourself into debt. Buying a house is the only exception, and at best you'll only break even with it.

Secondly, walk, use public transportation and ride bicycles for any distance under 10 miles. Your an idiot if your driving to work and should consider moving ASAP. No excuses, none, zero. Cars are extremely expensive. And when you do own a CAR, buy one that is the most affordable to own to your normal driving style. If you don't NEED to own a truck/SUV/van, as in not making money off it or having 7 kids, don't own one.

Also, never ever buy a new car.

Buy quality goods once, and preferably used at that. Use things for LIFE.

Clothes are another HUGE waste of money to buy new. These days people practically give clothes away for free. How many paintball event Tshirts do we all own here? Thrift stores are full of new/barely used clothes that have years left in them. You already likely own enough clothes in your home to last a lifetime.

Stay healthy and fit. Being overweight and living an unhealthy lifestyle costs huge amounts of money in healthcare bills.
Vagabond living on the side of the road in East Asia.

Last edited by sparky; 03-05-2013 at 02:08 AM.
sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:43 PM   #18 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Brass N Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky View Post
Secondly, walk, use public transportation and ride bicycles for any distance under 10 miles. Your an idiot if your driving to work and should consider moving ASAP. No excuses, none, zero. Cars are extremely expensive. And when you do own a CAR, buy one that is the most affordable to own to your normal driving style. If you don't NEED to own a truck/SUV/van, as in not making money off it, don't own one.
Be careful with this one, though. Rent and cost of living in the city center in a lot of places is 2-3x what it would be farther out, more than enough of a difference to offset your cost of transportation.

Note the difference in ROI there. Fluorescent for the win.

Last edited by Wraith; 02-13-2013 at 02:51 PM.
Wraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:25 PM   #19 (permalink)
T-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteout View Post
Be careful with this one, though. Rent and cost of living in the city center in a lot of places is 2-3x what it would be farther out, more than enough of a difference to offset your cost of transportation.

http://i.imgur.com/09sLIlW.gif

Note the difference in ROI there. Fluorescent for the win.
Also, public transport is terrible in many places... I could barely make a 9am start, let alone the 6 or 7s that I often do.
T-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:59 PM   #20 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Brass N Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-T View Post
Also, public transport is terrible in many places... I could barely make a 9am start, let alone the 6 or 7s that I often do.
Yeah, I work 3rd shift, and our public transport here doesn't run at all from 9pm-7am.
Wraith is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Money and Finance