mcarterbrown.com

Money and Finance Because you have to save money to spend it on new paintball stuff!

Old 09-08-2013, 05:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
MCB Member

'One piece of crap' a day, a saving game

Recently, I have been playing a somewhat fun game with myself that I like to call 'One piece of crap'. It is my solution to spending less and getting rid of things I do not need.

Here is how it works:
Every day, I get rid of one piece of crap. Be it Ebay, neighborhood tag sale, giving things away, or the dumpster. One thing in my life has to go.

The twist: If I buy something new, I have to get rid of something old, in addition to the one daily thing I got rid of!
Now, I know what you are asking yourself: 'How does this help me save money!?'. Well, aside from the monetary gain of selling items, you would be amazed at how quickly things you have just bought fall into 'piece of crap' category of this game. The game soon becomes, how long can an item go before it gets thrown away. And it makes you ask, 'How useful is this item to me?'.

Anyway, I thought it would be fun to start documenting the things that I and other people get rid of. So, here the twitter profile:

https://twitter.com/OnePieceOfCrap

and

#onepieceofcrapgone if you want to play along

My Feedback (It Rocks)

AO Feedback (It Rocks)

Last edited by Captainneeda; 09-08-2013 at 07:10 PM.
Captainneeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 06:09 PM   #2 (permalink)

Very cool idea, my wife and I have started downsizing our life. We decided we have too much stuff and eventually want to live in a smaller house on larger property someday. A goal we are working towards little by little.

GHPBOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 07:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
Terminus Est

this may help

http://cdn02.cdnwp.thefrisky.com/wp-...-i-toss-it.jpg

Last edited by SKULL; 09-08-2013 at 07:11 PM.
SKULL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 01:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
I Am The Admin

Send a message via AIM to Painthappy

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Following up on this...

I've gone and moved onto the ebay route and selling the stuff I no longer need or use or when I see it, wonder why I still own it.

I figure 2 to 4 items, depending on the size a week is manageable. I find the items I want to sell, take pictures, post them on ebay with a schedule to start on Tuesday. 5 day auction. Sells Sunday. Gives me Monday or Tuesday to hit the post office and ship out and then repeat the process.

So far I'm on week 3 with success. I'm slowly decluttering my life on a schedule I can manage, and I'm putting a few saving dollars back into my pocket.
google.com/+CarterBrown75
Painthappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 01:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
Exterminate!

Send a message via AIM to WilD

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
RTP Fan
I need to do this as my house is absolutely full of junk. Unfortunately, much of the clutter is clothing that my wife and I have accumulated over time and probably has little value (we did sell a few items to a local resale shop for $17 last weekend). I have a bunch of paintball markers and parts that need to go, but I've been dragging my feet in listing them for sale.
WilD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 09:33 AM   #6 (permalink)
Memento mori.

Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
Itemize clothes you want to get rid of, donate them and write them off on your taxes.
Finnigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 10:47 PM   #7 (permalink)
Straight 6 DID Bust!

Since I've moved to college and my bedroom back home got turned into a room for foster children, I have downsized more than I ever have. I can fit the majority of my belongings into one good sized box, aside from clothes and larger appliances. I can fit everything I own in my 2 door chevrolet cobalt with ease. It's really been nice to be able to "free" myself from excess needs and I've noticed my quality of life to be up a notch.

Materials don't equal happiness.
Kermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 11:24 AM   #8 (permalink)
Post Whore

Started this yesterday and off to a decent start. At least it may free up some room and a couple of bucks for both new hobbies and moving out when the time comes.
Yomillio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 01:02 PM   #9 (permalink)
MCB Member

My problem with doing this is the lack of return. Some items, even though I know they will never be valuable, are just hard to let go for what they are currently worth. Add to that shipping costs and fees and it just feels hardly worth it most times. I.E. went to go sell a pair of my daughters dance shoes that cost us nearly $60 new, only got bid $15 and I still had to ship the stupid things up and pay the fees. Think we netted $5 after all was said and done. Might as well just give them to someone locally and feel better about it.
OPBN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 01:21 PM   #10 (permalink)
Exterminate!

Send a message via AIM to WilD

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
RTP Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by OPBN View Post
My problem with doing this is the lack of return. Some items, even though I know they will never be valuable, are just hard to let go for what they are currently worth. Add to that shipping costs and fees and it just feels hardly worth it most times. I.E. went to go sell a pair of my daughters dance shoes that cost us nearly $60 new, only got bid $15 and I still had to ship the stupid things up and pay the fees. Think we netted $5 after all was said and done. Might as well just give them to someone locally and feel better about it.
I know the feeling. It is very hard to muster the will/patience to sell some items where the return does not really compensate for the hassle. My personal example are components I have from my salt water fish tank. I paid hundreds of dollars for this stuff, but some of it is bulky and hard to ship, and selling locally does not seem like it would return enough to bother meeting someone in a parking lot to make the sale. So, it sits...

Then there a the hundreds of little paintball parts I have... It's a nightmare.
WilD is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Money and Finance