mcarterbrown.com  

Money and Finance Because you have to save money to spend it on new paintball stuff!

Old 12-03-2013, 01:34 PM   #11 (permalink)
Aces and eights

Fan of EMR
Brass N Wood Fan
That is part of the reason I like M&T Bank for my area: they have an ATM at just about every Sheetz (big regional gas station chain) and also at BWI for when I forget to pull a little emergency cash reserve before a business trip. Of course, if you leave the network they will eat you alive with fees like everyone else.
Feedback
Axel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 01:36 PM   #12 (permalink)
I Am The Admin

Send a message via AIM to Painthappy

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by OPBN View Post
Might not always be an option, but you can set up a debit card for a kid that you put money on. My oldest (15) has one that we just transfer money to when needed and it works well for us. Only ever had one issue or so where someplace wouldn't accept the card, which was an online box office. I can't think of anyone around here that doesn't accept debit card anymore.
I do love that idea and have had that pre-paid debit card in the back of my head. But she's still only 9 (turning 10 in two weeks though) so still not old enough.

In the end it was my fault. I had emergency money on me, but in the form of a $100 bill and that just wasn't going to work. I liked the one bill for the little space it took up as emergency funds, but now see the draw back as the only other bill on me was a $5.

My fault.

But still... $6.00 for what amounts to a computer transaction on their end? Damn.
google.com/+CarterBrown75
Painthappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 07:37 PM   #13 (permalink)
Phantom Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Painthappy View Post
I do love that idea and have had that pre-paid debit card in the back of my head. But she's still only 9 (turning 10 in two weeks though) so still not old enough.

But still... $6.00 for what amounts to a computer transaction on their end? Damn.
I have an 8-yr old. My mom took him to the store to buy birthday presents. I made him subtract what he wanted from the total, include tax, work out what was left, where his money went etc. I helped him but I wish someone had started teaching me fiscal responsibility at 9.

I keep multiple bank accts but use the one at my investment place (schwab) the most. The checking acct is just a nice to have for their investment customers - ATM rebates, free bill pay, mobile apps etc
Feedback
BoBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 07:44 PM   #14 (permalink)
First Mate

I pay for 100% of my purchases with my PC Mastercard (the free groceries are awesome), then pay the card off completely at the end of every month. The only times I handle cash is when I buy or sell something privately. Once I get the cash, I immediately deposit it in the bank.

ThickChestHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 08:19 PM   #15 (permalink)
MaD
MCB Member

You would have been better off going to the gas station and buying $5 in gas with the $100 bill
DIY Paintball Stuff!

Note: While I would love to take credit for his work, I am not associated with Mad Customs!
You can contact BigMatt-MadCustoms in his MCB forum
MaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 08:21 PM   #16 (permalink)
MCB Baghead

ATM fees from banks are one of the reasons why everybody in my family uses credit unions.

That and the whole 'shared branches' thing is nice since I can go to any of the participating branches and do any/all of my business even if it isn't 'my bank'.
Old 12-06-2013, 03:22 PM   #17 (permalink)
MCB Baghead

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJOttawa View Post
One thing I noticed about the US are the sheer number of banks and credit unions. Every state and county seems to have their own.

Up here in Canada: FIVE big banks, country-wide, plus a bunch of regional credit unions.

Most towns have ATMs of more than one of the "Big 5".

Most of the credit unions share an ATM network so you can make deposits and withdrawals at any of them without fee.

I gather, in the USA, you don't have that kind of national, no fee coverage?
I don't think the USA is all too different.There are plenty of big banks in the country, like JP Morgan Chase, Bank of America, Citi, Wells Fargo, and Bank of New York. I believe all of these are in most states. I know Bank of America is unfortunately.

Here in Maine for banks it's mostly Bank of America, Key Bank, and TD Bank for the nationwide banks as well as 'Maine' banks like Bangor Savings Bank, Norway Savings Bank, and Camden National Bank. And then there are the 150+ Credit Unions.

According to Home > CO-OP Shared Branch Location Search, I can do my business at over 5,000 locations across the USA since I am a member of a participating credit union.
Old 12-17-2013, 12:51 PM   #18 (permalink)
Happy and homeless

Send a message via Skype™ to sparky

I seen this summer in Montana an ATM with a $5.00 user fee. Bloody insane.
Vagabond living on the side of the road in East Asia.
sparky is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Money and Finance