mcarterbrown.com

Music Music in General, Bands, Swap Stories, Swap Band Equipment, etc

Old 01-24-2013, 05:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
Owner of Crazy Cats

CCM Fan
Retubing amps

For all my guitar and bass playing brothers......
What are your favorite tubes to re-tube your amps with?

I stick with Mullards or EH tubes (depends on what the store has in stock)
Right now my AC30 has Mullards and my Lil Night Train is Mullard in the preamp and EH in the power amp

Just curious really. We all know that the Chinese tubes sometimes are not the best.
What are the reasons for your choice?
Thunder Bay Pump Club
Dementia Paintball
MCB Feedback
EgoPossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:54 PM   #2 (permalink)

Just put a matched 6l6wgc-str quad from TAD in a Peavey Deuce VT. So far I've been really happy with em. Bought the quad through The Tube Store and they match powertubes to within 5%. Would definetly go with them again.
Compared to the well loved Sylvanias that were in there before it really brought it back to life.
It worked before?
Screwed with it didn't you.
Got what you deserve.
Penguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:48 AM   #3 (permalink)
Formerly DeTrevni

I don't want to thread jack, but since the tube guys will be in this thread anyway, I'd like to ask: what would cause a loss of volume and gain control in a tube amp (Crate Vintage Club 50)? Do I need new tubes? Is a capacitor somewhere blown? It'll play normally for a bit, but then loses control.

Magoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:25 AM   #4 (permalink)
Fantasy Hockey Chump

Brass N Wood Fan
RTP Fan
I know this is sacrilegious, but most of what I deal with is solid-state. HOWEVER. About 8 years ago I had to change the tube in an old bassman amp. At the time, I found a russian company that was raved about by all the musican review sites. Apparently since Russia is a bit behind, they're still producing tubes like it's the 60's.

My MCB Feedback
Long Beard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:07 AM   #5 (permalink)
Owner of Crazy Cats

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magoo View Post
I don't want to thread jack, but since the tube guys will be in this thread anyway, I'd like to ask: what would cause a loss of volume and gain control in a tube amp (Crate Vintage Club 50)? Do I need new tubes? Is a capacitor somewhere blown? It'll play normally for a bit, but then loses control.
When I had that exact problem, it was caused by my power amp tubes.
When the amp would get hot (AC30s run hot) the volume would do all kinds of wacky things. From what I read on other forums the Vintage Club 50s are similar in design to the AC50s (think bigger badder AC30).

I would retube the whole amp with matched tubes (see if you can find 4 matched ones) and since I have the head of the amp out I would look to see if you can see any popped capacitors or burnt resistors just incase (f you see any of that bring it in for service)

If it continues to do that afterwards I would bring it in for service and get a technician to look at it.
Thunder Bay Pump Club
Dementia Paintball
MCB Feedback
EgoPossum is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Music