mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   Music (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/music/)
-   -   Home theater questions (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/music/224711-home-theater-questions.html)

Shocker2k 01-28-2013 11:55 AM

Home theater questions

Hey guys, I want to set up a surround sound system and not break the bank doing it. Im looking to spend somewhere around $500-800. I am more looking to get info on brands to look into. I know through all of the commercials and such they say Bose is the best, but from my understanding that is far from true. If you guys have any place to point me or any hints and pointers would be greatly appreciated :D.

Nick

Washington reign 01-28-2013 12:13 PM

I'd give the guys at avsforms.com a try. And you are correct about Bose they sweet spot certain frequencies to fool you into believing what you're hearing is correct. A couple things you'll need to ask yourself is , size of room , what type of movies do you like , does the wife hate bass, do you already have a blu ray player and reciever , is this for movies or music and video games too, do you like big systems with wires and giant speakers everywhere or do you like the stealthy look and want everything hidden? In the end I can honestly say go out and listen to stuff in your price range, but never settle on anything because the home theater upgrade bug can be just as bad as the paintball one. Sorry I didn't write more I'm typing from my phone.

martix_agent 01-28-2013 12:23 PM

crutchfield.com is a great place to go for audio needs. They have a good range of prices, as well.

The Flounder 01-28-2013 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by martix_agent (Post 2606685)
crutchfield.com is a great place to go for audio needs. They have a good range of prices, as well.

I would agree with this. The prices are decent. The information they can give you is great. I am lucky because I am about 45 minutes from their outlet store so I get to shop for bargains on returned goods and closeouts.

martix_agent 01-28-2013 12:57 PM

Yes. quality bookshelf speakers is where it's at. I bought some from elementaldesigns, and have a center channel speaker from them as well. Everything they made was golden as far as i'm concerned.

Unfortunately, they got hit with the economy and were unable to stay open. Apparently a lot of customers are out of money too, because of it; truly a sad thing :( Even more sad because I never got a chance to buy more speakers from them.

danssoslow 01-28-2013 01:27 PM

For the budget minded, I'd do some research on Parts Express. They have monthly packages for their monthly enclosure builds (which every one can be referenced), a great forum filled with very knowledgable people, and some really good prices on awesome speakers.

Shocker2k 01-28-2013 01:35 PM

Excellent ideas. I think im going to look into the bookshelf speakers. Ill get a really good quality sound plus my wife cant complain that there are speakers all around the room :).

CJOttawa when you talk about the 2 chan amp, is that the same thing a receiver does? Sorry for the dumb question, Im an audio newb...
From looking around it looks like yes, a receiver has an amp in it :). But does the type of receiver matter? I know you said a 2 channel one, but how much does brand change the quality of the sound?

This will be a big learning experience.

Nick