mcarterbrown.com  

Music Music in General, Bands, Swap Stories, Swap Band Equipment, etc

Old 02-22-2013, 12:43 AM   #1 (permalink)
Official LL5 Dolphin-Dive

Send a message via AIM to PistolRogue

Earbud Recommendations For Those with Mismatched Ears?

So, long story short, my left ear is shaped and sized pretty significantly different than my right, which has led to all sorts of problems with earbuds for portable music players. For sitting on a plane or car it's fine, but for running or working out (which I've been trying to do more often, and the music very much helps for motivation), the left side constantly falls out. I've tried buds with changeable earpiece thingys (for lack of a technical term ), but still have an issue.

I've had better luck with the type that have arms that wrap around the outside of the ear, but so far the ones I've tried have had enormously crappy sound quality, even for earbuds. Has anyone had any luck with finding this type with good sound quality?

This type:

I'm just getting tired of shelling out money trying different sets that all wind up having really tinny sound and zero bass. I'm far from being an audiophile but for the most part I can recognize good, full sound from low quality and it's one of those things that I just can't live with.

Anyone have any suggestions?
FEEDBACK
PistolRogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:06 AM   #2 (permalink)
Man Bunker

Send a message via Yahoo to Rogue

Perhaps you need something like this?

Wild Bunch Paintball Team

Feedback
Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:15 AM   #3 (permalink)
Moose!

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
If you're no opposed to trying ear buds that aren't the wrap around sort, you may have some luck with the Klipsch S4i's. They have some of the best sound of any ear bud that I've tried, and I'm already on my second pair of them. They are noise isolating, so you won't have to worry about any sort of noise pollution or interference from outside noise w/o having to turn the volume very high. They also have a wide range of tips that can work w/ just about any type of ear. The only complaint I have is that they have a longer cord than most headphones I've tried, and the cord does like to stick to various surfaces.
MCB Feedback
TechPB Feedback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy View Post
a midget moose and a cross dressing pump player........yeah that seems about on par for MCB lol
War0411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:44 AM   #4 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

I just got some of these the other day. Best Earbuds for Exercise | Custom Headphones | Decibullz They work pretty well. On the website, they sell headphones too, but supposedly they are crap. I just picked up a pair of $15 Sonys at Best Buy and they fit just fine in the molds, but there are a lot of others that would be able to fit as well. I've been using them at the gym every day for the last week and a half or so, they've never fallen out, even while running. They also passed the "eating test". In ear phones have a tendency to move around and slip out from the movement caused by chewing when I'm eating, these things stayed in.
xero28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:36 AM   #5 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via MSN to foldadoom

have you tried phillips Gorilla grips, i think they fit any ear buds (i think) but the site around the ear and place the buds in front of the ear canal, i found they where great for training also you can turn them so you can talk/hear without altering your music level.
Old 02-22-2013, 01:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
Paintball Ballistician :P

You might want to try the DIY approach:
Handmade DIY custom in-ear monitors

DIY In Ear Monitors

Sugru Earbuds

Or, take a favorite ear bud design and upgrade it through these folks:
https://earsound.com/products/custom...ud-attachments
Originally Posted by Tom Kaye -in response to FS price critics
Unfortunately all of you have played the one "speedball" game of paintball for so long you can't conceive of other ways to do this and hence any new ideas seem stupid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Death View Post
First strike rounds punish lazy people. Don't be lazy and you won't have problems with first strikes.
uv_halo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
Proud Member of UCSF

The new "ear pods" by apple are pretty good bang for their buck. They tested like 100 different ears before coming up with the shape of their new ear buds and I find them to be the best sounding most comfortable pair I have ever owned. Supper bass and treb really good quality from these things when I use them with my iPod I have to turn the volume to about half of what I used to play it at with the old ear buds and there only $35 witch is what most cheap to moderately priced ear buds go for.

If your having trouble with them staying in try a head band around your ears to hold them tight to your head.
Butch3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:02 PM   #8 (permalink)
is my hero

Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch3r View Post
The new "ear pods" by apple are pretty good bang for their buck. They tested like 100 different ears before coming up with the shape of their new ear buds and I find them to be the best sounding most comfortable pair I have ever owned. Supper bass and treb really good quality from these things when I use them with my iPod I have to turn the volume to about half of what I used to play it at with the old ear buds and there only $35 witch is what most cheap to moderately priced ear buds go for.

If your having trouble with them staying in try a head band around your ears to hold them tight to your head.
I agree and was going to post this. The sound you get with them is pretty amazing considering they are just ear buds.
Feedback thread: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:22 PM   #9 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by War0411 View Post
If you're no opposed to trying ear buds that aren't the wrap around sort, you may have some luck with the Klipsch S4i's. They have some of the best sound of any ear bud that I've tried, and I'm already on my second pair of them. They are noise isolating, so you won't have to worry about any sort of noise pollution or interference from outside noise w/o having to turn the volume very high. They also have a wide range of tips that can work w/ just about any type of ear. The only complaint I have is that they have a longer cord than most headphones I've tried, and the cord does like to stick to various surfaces.
And with the Klipsch S4 line, you can turn the buds 180 degrees and loop the cord up and over your ears to help anchor them in place.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:30 PM   #10 (permalink)
I'll shoot myself anyway

I like the way the "Yurbuds" fit in the ear. They 'lock' in and are pretty comfortable. You can get them at Best Buy, Amazon, WalFart, etc...
Get a taste of religion: lick a Baptist!
WebFisher is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Music