Music Music in General, Bands, Swap Stories, Swap Band Equipment, etc

Old 08-20-2013, 12:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
Needs new knees

Listening to whole albums.

So in my lifetime (44 years damnit) I rarely listened to the complete album of any band. I was a popular song listener, unless someone else introduced me to it. Now that isnt to say I only listen to things that were on the radio or MTV, but I didnt learn to listen and appreciate the whole album. So in a fit of boredom I started listening to complete albums of bands I like or have wanted to check out. This includes many of the compilation albums I have. So take a challenge and listen to the whole album that has one sing you like on it.

My recent album: The Pixies Trompe Le Mond. the whole damn album is good! I found a new Pixies song I love to hear once a day.
Shane-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
Send a message via AIM to HurtCow

Palmers Fan
Just about any of Porcupine Tree's last 5 or 6 albums is 100% listenable, but then again, I'm a huge fanboy.
Everybody loves me!

If I hurt your feelings or otherwise offended you, click here.
HurtCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
Post Whore

My test of a great album is if you can listen to it front to back without wanting to skip a song... Most of my favorite albums don't even have one of my favorite songs on it, exceptions being Surfer Rosa and Sixteen Stone.
Frizzle Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
Pump Convert

I've started to listening albums since I got into vinyl.

Listen to plenty of full albums now. My favorite is either some Bob Marley Live or Wes Montgomery Jazz.
SlvrDragon50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 09:48 PM   #5 (permalink)
Send a message via AIM to Diomedes

Full albums are usually the way to go, IMO. I listen to a lot of older stuff, rock and jazz from the 50s, 60s, 70s, and a lot of those are more than just a collection of songs, there's a purposeful arrangement to the songs that are included and the order in which they're presented. That's also true of some newer artists as well, bands like Arcade Fire and The Hold Steady, for instance, whose albums really shine as whole units.
Zombie Defense Force, Local 42 #61 "Darwin"
DarwinZDF42<--YouTube channel. Reviews, helmetcam, etc. Updated more-or-less weekly. Subscribe!
Looking for a new mask? See how they compare.
"Integrity is doing what's right, even if nobody is looking." My MCB feedback
Diomedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 10:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
MCB's Resident Chesnut

Fan of EMR
Brass N Wood Fan
Originally Posted by Slim View Post
Clearly, Axel doesn't know what he's talking about.
Originally Posted by Rusty Brass View Post
Clearly, Axel doesn't know what he's talking about.
Axel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 11:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
MCB Member

Many bands' better songs were on "side 2", just because the record companies pushed specific songs on radio/video does not mean they are their best songs just the most marketable.

Like for me I'm a big RUSH fan but most non-fans do not know their album "Caress of Steel" which IMO is their best album. The best songs are on side two "The fountain of Lamneth". The record executives did not think they could market it so it was not pushed Only one song got any real play from the album "Bastille Day" and it is far from the best song on the album.

"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud." -Sophocles

My Pyre #PY008 RF Oak Grendel's Feedback on MCB
Grendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 09:06 PM   #8 (permalink)
Hug Supplier

youve never listened to a concept album? those are always the best , specially when one song is able to flow into the next
"Why do I use an Automag?
Because I don't have noodle arms."
alpha_q_up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 04:33 AM   #9 (permalink)
Post Whore

I like doing the entire album thing myself.
Big Whoop, I'm spooning a Barrett .50 cal, I could kill... a building!!! - Sterling Archer
bob_wuzza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 11:51 AM   #10 (permalink)
Proud Member of UCSF

Dream Theater has put out a number of albums that have been cleverly crafted. Their second studio album had their first really mainstream popular song but there was another jem on that album that was a popular fan favorite and after much fan pressure they expanded the one song into an entire album marking their 5th studio album "Metropolis" a story about life, death, and spirituality (not religious just spiritual). the album ends with static on a record player witch they used that sound to start the next album so if you listen to them back to back there is no real pause it just goes straight into it. their next album was mostly about adversity the with side B being a series of stories of six individuals suffering from various mental illnesses. Particularly represented are bipolar and post-traumatic stress disorder, schizophrenia, post-partum depression, autism and dissociative personality disorder. Again the last note in the last song also starts the next album witch did not have so much as a theme but the songs generally focus more on the bands heavier influences and sound. again the last note in the last song also starts the next album. this next album was their eighth studio album and they had recently released their fifth live album in music octaves are made of fifths and eights so the album was called "Octavarium" on top of that they themed the album by playing each song in a different key starting with "the root of all evil" in the key of F. at this point they were getting tired of doing theme albums and continuing the sound over so this album ends with the same note it begins with so it creates a loop and the last lyrics in the album are even "it ends where it began", they refer to this set of albums as the meta album since they can all be played back to back as one long album. As an added gem starting on their sixth studio album (second in the meta series) is the song "glass prison", the drummer was a recovering alcoholic and Glass Prison represents being stuck in a bottle and covers the first couple steps to the 12 step program of a recovering alcoholic. the next four albums each have a song that expands covering another couple steps to the 12 step program, if you take the 5 songs you can play them back to back creating a new album hidden within their studio albums that they refer to as the "Twelve-step Suite". They really put a lot of thought and effort into making the string of albums that I have enjoyed over and over.
Butch3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply » General » Off-Topic » Music