mcarterbrown.com  

Music Music in General, Bands, Swap Stories, Swap Band Equipment, etc

Old 07-30-2014, 01:49 PM   #11 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopay700 View Post
I wasn't saying that existing bands fall into this, though some do. I am referring to a study that shows that popular music as a whole has become more and more formulaic.

Measuring the Evolution of Contemporary Western Popular Music : Scientific Reports : Nature Publishing Group

This also doesn't mean there aren't outliers. It just means that statistically, music is more inclined to suck now than back then because there's less variety. Less variety means less chance for good music because you have a smaller net. It doesn't mean it's impossible.

"It just means statistically, music is more inclined to suck" that's great
DranDran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 03:07 PM   #12 (permalink)
Post Whore

Fan of EMR
I dunno, TODAY's bad music is so terrible it makes me wanna puke. Even ten years ago the bad music on the radio was at least listenable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP_Lovecraft View Post
I'm no hippie, but I do lack any sense of style.
Murph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 10:47 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murph View Post
I dunno, TODAY's bad music is so terrible it makes me wanna puke.
Your avatar just made this seem even more like something Murderface would say, and made it that much easier to read in his voice.
Old 07-30-2014, 11:13 PM   #14 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Your avatar just made this seem even more like something Murderface would say, and made it that much easier to read in his voice.

I wasn't the only one then.

Like has been said, music now sucks. It doesn't take any talent to be auto tuned and in my opinion the talent lies in your ability to play instruments. The guitar solos that Zakk Wylde plays take talent among other musicians that play guitar/bass/drums.
DranDran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 01:22 AM   #15 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via AIM to Fubarius Send a message via Yahoo to Fubarius

AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
... It also shows that what I've always maintained was the heyday of music, the 60's, probably was because there was more variety.
Though be careful, hindsight tends to make music look better. You get to pick and choose what you remember, and forget all the stuff that sucked, while what's new today is more in your face and can't be ignored.

Take the iconic year of 1969, the year of Woodstock. Lots of great music that year. But guess what the number one song was that year, the one that had all the adults going "ugh, that piece of crap is on the radio again..."?

Not some anti-war song, or one waxing poetically about the counter culture.

No, a song so overly sweet that sugar is in the name...twice...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9nE2spOw_o

We get autotuned wannabes, they get singing cartoon characters. Can't say who's the winner in that fight.

Nunquam emere potes facere
Fubarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 03:30 AM   #16 (permalink)
No Effects, just cooler

Popular music is always going to suck to those that want/need music to have substance.

Ryan Dupras
-Dealings Feedback-
Proudly Playing For:
Wookie Dicks
Lucha Cabras
nofxkid2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 07:09 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubarius View Post
Though be careful, hindsight tends to make music look better. You get to pick and choose what you remember, and forget all the stuff that sucked, while what's new today is more in your face and can't be ignored.

Take the iconic year of 1969, the year of Woodstock. Lots of great music that year. But guess what the number one song was that year, the one that had all the adults going "ugh, that piece of crap is on the radio again..."?

Not some anti-war song, or one waxing poetically about the counter culture.

No, a song so overly sweet that sugar is in the name...twice...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9nE2spOw_o

We get autotuned wannabes, they get singing cartoon characters. Can't say who's the winner in that fight.
That is true, which is exactly what I used to say. I just preferred music from that era. However when you look at the data, music has become more formulaic. Like I said earlier, that doesn't mean all music today sucks, just that it's less likely to be good due to less variety. There are songs past 2000 that I like, there are some groups I like. There is still good music.

Likewise, popular music has historically been hit or miss. However due to variety it was more likely for the music to be good.

Really all I've said is that music has less variety now, which is true. This doesn't mean it's necessarily bad, just that the odds are against it being good because the spread is narrower.

Edit: I don't think all old music was great, a lot was garbage. But as I've been saying, it was more diverse. This means that from that pile of garbage more bands were likely to be good, or even great.

Last edited by snoopay700; 07-31-2014 at 07:13 AM.
snoopay700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 07:16 AM   #18 (permalink)
Post Whore

Fan of EMR
I would listen to sugar, sugar a thousand times before I voluntarily listen to this tripe again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4oiEhf9M04

This whole rambling over a hip hop beat **** has got to stop. I mean they're not even bothering using full words anymore. Even that horrendous 90's boyband crap is more listenable than the stuff put out today. 98 Degrees, N'Sync, the buttfu... ...oops, I mean mean Backstreet Boys, at least when the record companies dredged up members for those bands, they at least found people who could sing in harmony without too much assistance from autotune.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP_Lovecraft View Post
I'm no hippie, but I do lack any sense of style.
Murph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 10:26 PM   #19 (permalink)
Post Whore

the main issue with today music. is there so many sub genre of one type of music. so how does station play all types one category music and please fans. you have people only in few types of heavy metal. same for rap music and country. also stations will only play what popular and get majority to listen to it. also will only songs that are in top 40's or what new song they think we want to hear to make a top 40's hit or number one hit. yes i shame that comes down to that.
Old 07-31-2014, 11:17 PM   #20 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by magmoormaster View Post
That depends on the genre. I don't think modern rock or metal to be formulaic, for the most part. I mean, look at bands like Asking Alexandria; they throw all structure out the window. Or A7X, who, instead of sticking with what's working, has fundamentally changed styles 4 times.
Pfft A7X has been playing the same stuff ever since they switched from metalcore. Both of those bands have been copying a lot of elements from Metallica lately, especially A7Xs hail to the king.

Honestly I do not think its all music that is getting worse just the mainstream garbage we are constantly exposed to. Over simplistic songs are the style right now, and its annoys me. However I think there are gems in every genre.

I guess what the heck do I know though. Anything outside of Death Metal annoys me now. I think Death Metal is making pretty decent strides in skill level and quality of music.
gamefreak054 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Music