mcarterbrown.com  

Music Music in General, Bands, Swap Stories, Swap Band Equipment, etc

Old 07-31-2014, 11:28 PM   #21 (permalink)
Post Whore

CCM Fan
Hmm, I'll just my KSE, Mastodon, Dropkicks, Coheed and of course 311. I hate the mainstream crap today, like stated earlier even the boy bands of the 90's are better than the autotuned, electronic dance crap that's all the rage right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmartin View Post
i think you will be fine. Fed Ex was always good to me until my wifes dog bit the driver. they usually don't avoid you unless they have a reason.
p8ntninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 12:15 AM   #22 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via AIM to Fubarius Send a message via Yahoo to Fubarius

AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
So a while back I was talking to my then 12 year old niece about music, and what she liked to listen to. It's interesting to see the generation gap. While my peers grew up on what was on the radio and MTV (back when they were about, you know, music), her music experience was almost entirely Youtube based. And on Youtube any music genre can exist, independent of the rest of the world. It can be startling.

At the time this anime obsessed tween's favorite Youtube genres included...

Nightcore, which is taking a top 40 song, or a dance song, or really just about any song, and speed it up so it raises in pitch, and give it a general remixing. The effect tends to make the song sound more anime-ish.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLDE2i54bR8

Vocaloid, which is autotuning taken to the, well, Japanese extreme. Forget fixing a bad singer, we'll just ditch the singer entirely and use a fully synthesized voice. It's actually an interesting piece of software, where they took phonetic samples of a person's voice and then combines those into actual words. Though I can't say I find the results better than normal J-pop (for as much as "normal" can be applied to J-pop, that stuff gets pretty darn weird)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hlADpxjj0s

And the only genre we both enjoyed, A cappella covers of popular songs, which is exactly as it sounds.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XeMR8lX0dg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEwNrjvNiYs
That one, Van Canto, specializes in a cappella metal, and even have some pretty good originals.

Nunquam emere potes facere
Fubarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 11:58 AM   #23 (permalink)
aka Maggy Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamefreak054 View Post
Pfft A7X has been playing the same stuff ever since they switched from metalcore. Both of those bands have been copying a lot of elements from Metallica lately, especially A7Xs hail to the king.
Lol, not really. A7X changed quite a bit between waking the fallen and city of evil, then city of evil to self titled, and then to hail to the king. Metallica is one of their major influences, but they aren't that similar.

Quote:
However I think there are gems in every genre.
Totally agree with this. I don't listen to rap, country, pop; but I can always find a song or 2 that I like. There is still talent out there, even in th electro dubstep world. It's just so diluted with all the other crap.
Old 08-01-2014, 01:17 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamefreak054 View Post
Over simplistic songs are the style right now, and its annoys me.
This may seem to go against what I said earlier, but look at any hit from any era. Popular music has historically always been garbage for the most part. The main problem with music now is there's less variety and the music that is there is louder, so you have less of a chance for a hit on good music. As I said, there is good music out there still, it's just less likely to happen, and if there is a resurgence in trying to get variety back in music, it will likely be seen as "hipster" and thus people will strike it down.

To be clear though, my last comment is not defending hipsters, they are terrible people. But people have started to call everything a hipster and the word has lost all meaning.
Old 08-01-2014, 01:19 PM   #25 (permalink)
lew
For Official Use Only

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopay700 View Post
Popular music has historically always been garbage for the most part.
^ This bears repeating. Pop music sucks, has always sucked, and will almost certainly suck in the future.

I'll content myself with punk rock and reggae. Both of those are going strong.
lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 07:50 PM   #26 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by lew View Post
^ This bears repeating. Pop music sucks, has always sucked, and will almost certainly suck in the future.

if that case then how did creed and chevelle get a award from grammy for pop rock since there music crossed over to popular rock. for pop rock
Old 08-01-2014, 11:44 PM   #27 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Quote:

annnnd.... you guys do realize the beatles are pop right? There were pretty much a boy band of their generation.
Old 08-01-2014, 11:55 PM   #28 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendaflippaaaja View Post
annnnd.... you guys do realize the beatles are pop right? There were pretty much a boy band of their generation.
you could say same thing about Elvis i think too.

Quote:

if your in to punk rock. guess green day to pop rock for you. since won tons awards and some in pop rock for popular for that year.
Old 08-02-2014, 12:20 AM   #29 (permalink)
Rec Poster

also, while he isn't one of my top favorite artists; in fact, I rarely even listen to him, but Micheal Jackson definitely didn't suck. You could even call him the king of pop...
Old 08-03-2014, 10:26 AM   #30 (permalink)
For Your Health

Palmers Fan
I find myself drifting in and out of different musical kicks.

my musical tastes range anywhere from blues, extreme metal, classic rock, and jazz, doom, and swing.

electro too.

no way i'm sitting here and typing exactly what I like, but i,ve been digging these as of late.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sswAnE0y_To

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WX_fKVWX2s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-lA3QlBYAM

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Music