mcarterbrown.com  

Music Music in General, Bands, Swap Stories, Swap Band Equipment, etc

Old 07-19-2014, 01:46 AM   #1 (permalink)
MCB Member

Today's music

It's late, I can't sleep and this thought popped into my head. I'm curious what the people on here think, my brother listens to modern pop, rap etc. I on the other hand listen to anything rock, everything from the Rolling Stones and The Beatles to Slipknot, Arch Enemy and MIW. I'll post some videos later but I'd like to know what others think of my generations choice in "music"
DranDran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 01:52 AM   #2 (permalink)
Sic Itur Ad Astra

Send a message via MSN to Falcon16 Send a message via Skype™ to Falcon16

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Frankly I find the choice in music of the generation after mine (I'm born in 1985) quite disturbing not in a skin crawling way just in a "you think that's actually music?" kind of way. I can't get used to the modern poppy crap that's on the radio. Maybe it's because my dad was a DJ in his high school days and I grew up listening to his crates of records from the high school radio station so things like Thriller and other music of that ilk populated my early youth. Heck my first album I ever bought was ZZ Top's Eliminator which is still probably my favorite album to this day. I also enjoy the EDM scene out of Europe and I'm a big fan of Armin Van Buuren, Ferry Corsten,Markus Schulz and many other major trance producers so my musical tastes do run a wide gamut

With that said i'm sure people of the generation before mine will chime in and say my generation had no taste in music so I guess it's all relative.

Feedback +36/-0
Click here to email me
My youtube channel
My downsizing/cleaning house sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApoC_101 View Post
Pump paintball is cheaper than any drug habit I've ever heard of.
Falcon16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 01:52 AM   #3 (permalink)
Post Whore

CCM Fan
I think the current gen of music, for the most part is utter crap. I love rock and metal. Currently I'm digging the Dirty Heads a ton. I cannot stans electronic music.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmartin View Post
i think you will be fine. Fed Ex was always good to me until my wifes dog bit the driver. they usually don't avoid you unless they have a reason.
p8ntninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 08:48 AM   #4 (permalink)
MCB Member

Today's music

I meant all the auto tuned music of today, Falcon
Old 07-19-2014, 10:48 AM   #5 (permalink)
MCBs armed pacifist

In 20 years searching posts about "today's generation" and "those old people" is going to be funny.

"Use peaceful means where they are appropriate; but where they are not appropriate, do not hesitate to resort to more forceful - Thupten Gyatso (the Dalai Lama, 1932)

"It is not the will to win that matters - everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters" Coach Paul 'Bear' Bryant.

"The ink of scholars is more precious than the blood of martyrs" - Muhammed
Lohman446 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 10:53 AM   #6 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lohman446 View Post
In 20 years searching posts about "today's generation" and "those old people" is going to be funny.

Probably will be
Old 07-26-2014, 06:11 PM   #7 (permalink)
Rec Poster

It's all just becoming more and more about the money and technological aspect of it. The actual Music is being taken out of music.
Old 07-30-2014, 09:30 AM   #8 (permalink)

Music has gotten consistently mor formulaic throughout the century. This means statistically there is going to be less good music.

After the 90's the only groups I've really liked consistently have been The Strokes, Wolfmother, and Ratatat I think. Most other stuff isn't to my liking save for the odd song or two.
Old 07-30-2014, 01:32 PM   #9 (permalink)
Live Die Burn

That depends on the genre. I don't think modern rock or metal to be formulaic, for the most part. I mean, look at bands like Asking Alexandria; they throw all structure out the window. Or A7X, who, instead of sticking with what's working, has fundamentally changed styles 4 times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Thompson View Post
Who is this Chad Thompson you all are talking about?
magmoormaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 01:47 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by magmoormaster View Post
That depends on the genre. I don't think modern rock or metal to be formulaic, for the most part. I mean, look at bands like Asking Alexandria; they throw all structure out the window. Or A7X, who, instead of sticking with what's working, has fundamentally changed styles 4 times.
I wasn't saying that existing bands fall into this, though some do. I am referring to a study that shows that popular music as a whole has become more and more formulaic.

Measuring the Evolution of Contemporary Western Popular Music : Scientific Reports : Nature Publishing Group

This also doesn't mean there aren't outliers. It just means that statistically, music is more inclined to suck now than back then because there's less variety. Less variety means less chance for good music because you have a smaller net. It doesn't mean it's impossible.

Edit: Looking back on that data, it's not the century, just the last half century. It also shows that what I've always maintained was the heyday of music, the 60's, probably was because there was more variety.

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Music