mcarterbrown.com

New To The Sport Just started playing? Been playing for a while, but you have a question you should have asked years ago? Drop a line, we answer

Old 07-07-2010, 08:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
Rec Poster

New, older player and feeling a little awkward.

Hey guys,

I'm 29 and I just started playing. I did play when I was younger but a bachelor party later and now I'm playing again.

I recently bought all my gear to start playing again but now when i go out on the field I feel a bit awkward. The problem is that I don't really go with any friends because none of my friends play and when I do go I am very much the minority. It seems like there are 3 types of players.

There is no question that this sport is completely dominated by kids in the age range of 13-18, typically in the 15-ish age range, so that's the first group. Then there's the people like my friends that are only out on the field during special events like bachelor parties or what-not. Finally, it seems like the only older players are fathers playing with their kids, I almost never see regular players in my age group.

Maybe I'm just getting too old for this sport. Even when I announced to my wife that I wanted to get back in she said "Does anyone your age even play that game?"...

Anyone else in a similar boat? Sorry, I'll get off the soap-box now.
MrEcted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 08:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
Thick

Send a message via AIM to HurtCow

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Palmers Fan
I'm 41 and have been playing about 8 years. I don't care about the other people on the field or what they think of me or if I'll 'fit in'. Most of the friends I play with are younger than me, with some exceptions. So just go have fun and shoot some kids.

If I hurt your feelings or otherwise offended you, click here.
HurtCow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 08:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
Stock Class Aficionado

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEcted View Post
I'm 29 and I just started playing.
Quote:
"Does anyone your age even play that game?"...
Really? I may just be in a unique situation, but I would say half of all people that I see playing on a regular basis are 20-40 years old. The rest are fetuses though, so I guess that balances out to about 15.
Old 07-07-2010, 08:24 PM   #4 (permalink)
Moderator General

Fan of EMR
Where are you at? Try connecting with some MCB'rs.

There are lots of players in your age group, you just have to find out when and where they are playing.

You can always travel to big games, like pump pandemonium and such, if getting away for the weekend is a possiblilty.

"But if somebody left you out on a ledge, If somebody pushed you over the edge, If somebody loved you and left you for dead,
You got to hold on to your time till you break through these times of trouble"
Temple of the Dog
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironnerd88 View Post
Tournament play is about the worst spectator sport out there. I would rather watch Synchronized Dungeons & Dragons.

My Feedback: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/s...3932#post13932
Chappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 08:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

I look at this way. They wouldn't have one less person to shoot at if I wasn't there, and I would have one less person to shoot at if they weren't there.

At first, it can seem a bit akward if you haven't been playing much in the past 5 years. The sport has opened it's arms alot more to younger players than it did in the past. The costs have dropped which has put paintball inside the budgets of younger players who might not have been able to afford it 8 or 9 years ago.

But I play paintball for me, I do it because I enjoy it. Once the masks drop and the socks come off, I could care less how old they are, and they could care less how old I am.
Old 07-07-2010, 08:57 PM   #6 (permalink)
I am the beast

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Im 16 and play with guys at my field that are 30+. Even several guys that are in their 50's.

Mike, are you coming to the free scenario at Waynes World not this weekend but the next?
paintballwizzkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 08:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chappy View Post
Where are you at? Try connecting with some MCB'rs.

There are lots of players in your age group, you just have to find out when and where they are playing.

You can always travel to big games, like pump pandemonium and such, if getting away for the weekend is a possiblilty.
i agree with chappy. find people on this board. check out paintball preview. since it will give list of fields in your area and post how good field is too.
chrislognshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 09:42 PM   #8 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Hey guys,

I'm 29 and I just started playing. I did play when I was younger but a bachelor party later and now I'm playing again.

I recently bought all my gear to start playing again but now when i go out on the field I feel a bit awkward. The problem is that I don't really go with any friends because none of my friends play and when I do go I am very much the minority. It seems like there are 3 types of players.

There is no question that this sport is completely dominated by kids in the age range of 13-18, typically in the 15-ish age range, so that's the first group. Then there's the people like my friends that are only out on the field during special events like bachelor parties or what-not. Finally, it seems like the only older players are fathers playing with their kids, I almost never see regular players in my age group.

Maybe I'm just getting too old for this sport. Even when I announced to my wife that I wanted to get back in she said "Does anyone your age even play that game?"...

Anyone else in a similar boat? Sorry, I'll get off the soap-box now.
Yea I played for a couple of teams and ran a store back in the early 90's then stopped for ten years and now I'm back.(still have my hand made Bob Long) Everyone I played with is gone even the fields are gone so its like I'm starting all over again. I was lucky to find a small group at a local field and now meet up with them every time I play. I would guess they are all around 21 to27ish and I'm 34.
splatzplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 09:51 PM   #9 (permalink)
Post Whore

My team ranges from 18 to 44, and I just turned 31. It's nice to be able to go with friends, though. We know how we think. Our oldest member started playing about 4 years ago, so age really isn't a factor.

My feedback: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
b-cuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 09:54 PM   #10 (permalink)
Just Some Guy

I am 51 and the last two times I played it was with a cane in one hand and a marker in the other. I don't try to keep up with the kids, I just do the best I can.

My Feedback
MarkT is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » New To The Sport