mcarterbrown.com  

New To The Sport Just started playing? Been playing for a while, but you have a question you should have asked years ago? Drop a line, we answer

Old 08-08-2010, 11:38 PM   #1 (permalink)

shouldve asked this a while ago...

whats a low pressured valve do?
spisla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 11:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

lets your gun shoot at lower pressure...

because otherwise you can't shoot at lower pressure without getting low fps too.
heinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 12:16 AM   #3 (permalink)
post deleting ghost attak

CCM Fan
heinous, do you follow him around to answer his questions or something? LOL
duff muffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 12:36 AM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

he's the only one asking anything you guys need to post more!
heinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 08:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via AIM to Cunha Send a message via MSN to Cunha Send a message via Yahoo to Cunha

I am finally getting to the point where I read posts and no longer am excited to answer them. Where's B these days?
Cunha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 01:47 AM   #6 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

typically when you install one, without changing ANY of the other settings on the gun, it makes your velocity jump up 30+ FPS

Which means you need to lower your pressure (spring or air pressure) to get your gun back to 300fps

Also, lower pressure guns tend to be quieter, due to the lack of the supersonic "crack" of the air going through the valve. Also, it is widely believed that low pressure guns are gentler on paint.

Quite a few guns have "low pressure" valves, Vice, Ego, along with Spyders

So in a nutshell, it's an upgrade for your gun... BUT will require some additional tuning past the simple installation to allow your gun to take full advantage of it.
Old 10-11-2010, 10:00 AM   #7 (permalink)
MCB Member

Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechPB-Mike View Post
typically when you install one, without changing ANY of the other settings on the gun, it makes your velocity jump up 30+ FPS

Which means you need to lower your pressure (spring or air pressure) to get your gun back to 300fps

Also, lower pressure guns tend to be quieter, due to the lack of the supersonic "crack" of the air going through the valve. Also, it is widely believed that low pressure guns are gentler on paint.

Quite a few guns have "low pressure" valves, Vice, Ego, along with Spyders

So in a nutshell, it's an upgrade for your gun... BUT will require some additional tuning past the simple installation to allow your gun to take full advantage of it.
LP guns are often not any quieter than HP guns... Ever heard a Mini fire?

I've set a lot of Cockers up with both LP and HP valving, as well as something I call MP (midpressure, around 400 psi) - and I've never seen a huge difference in noise signature.

But Mike is correct in saying additional tuning is required, along with a decent air source and good regulator to make your life easier.
And God turned to Gabriel and said: “I shall create a land called Canada of outstanding natural beauty, with majestic mountains soaring with eagles, sparkling lakes abundant with bass and trout, forests full of elk and moose, and rivers stocked with salmon. I shall make the land rich in oil so the inhabitants prosper and call them Canadians, and they shall be praised as the friendliest of all people.”

“But Lord,” asked Gabriel, “Is this not too generous to these Canadians?”

And God replied, “Just wait and see the neighbors I shall inflict upon them.”
Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 12:41 PM   #8 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

^^ I was more talking about the "upgrade" part in itself, not so much low vs high pressure guns. A Mini is pretty loud for a low pressure gun, but compared to a Tippmann (high pressure), it's pretty quiet.

It sounds like his question is in regards to an upgrade for a particular gun. Some of the guns that I've replaced "High Pressure" valves with "Low Pressure" valves tended to be quieter at the same velocity.

Autococker - replaced the stock High Pressure valve, with a Check-It Low Pressure Valve, the gun appeared to be quieter at 300fps

Ego - take out the stock low pressure valve, and install the high pressure valve, and it appears to get louder

Vice - replace the stock high pressure poppet, with the low pressure poppet (it just has a slightly longer stem) and it appears to make the gun quieter

Spyder - take out the stock high pressure valve, and install a regulator and a "low pressure" valve like a tornado, AKA or Magna Port, and it appears to make the gun quieter

Ego's operate at about 220psi, and they are easily some of the loudest guns I've ever shot. I will say that there is something about the little oring that Bob Long puts on the back of the poppet shaft that seems to do some magic.....
Old 10-11-2010, 05:34 PM   #9 (permalink)
YS-OFG

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechPB-Mike View Post

False, but only analytically.

All valves have sonic flow. Generally supersonic. If the operating pressure is above 30 psi (reasonably close to critical for choked flow conditions in an orifice system of dry air), it's going to be at sonic velocity in the throat of the valve, and supersonic if the valve diverges beyond the throat (hint: they all do).

The sound signature is more a result of the amount of gas leaked down the barrel- in many guns, the dwell (duration of valve opening) is effectively constant. In low pressure guns, the higher flow usually means lower dwell is needed. If the dwell is constant, then the lower pressure means less total energy flow. Less energy means less pressure gradient at the muzzle, which generally is less sound.

However, any gun can be tuned to be quiet or loud if carefully balanced.

"Low pressure" valves are, more often than not, simply a mislabeled "high(er) flow valve". Which can be a good thing, or a moot point.

Bob Long's guns are quieter for several reasons, not the least of which is the valve diameter, with valve stem shape and laminar spoilers having a significant effect as well. I inspected the valve bodies on several guns before determining which to buy, and the orifice diameter strongly correlates (inversely) with the sound signature for otherwise similar designs.

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
flyweightnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 12:18 PM   #10 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by spisla View Post
whats a low pressured valve do?
Someone set you up to ask this, didn't they?

This has been one of the most highly debated subjects within paintball.
punkncat is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » New To The Sport