mcarterbrown.com  

New To The Sport Just started playing? Been playing for a while, but you have a question you should have asked years ago? Drop a line, we answer

Old 08-19-2010, 11:38 PM   #11 (permalink)
Fluffy Bunnies for life!!

CCM Fan
Go used if you feel the need to spend money. If your buying a new marker to have the latest and greatest because you think you have to think again. Your Tracer will do you just fine, still only takes one shot. Milsim is fun to build but like somone else pointed out they are usually heavy, and scare the crap out of your neighbors (not a bad thing). If Milsim is your hearts desire then look into the TM7 or TM15, both nice markers that are already simmed (?) up and will cost you less then what it will cost to modd a Tippy. Granted you came to the right place to start your career as a gun whore.
Jkoselka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 11:58 PM   #12 (permalink)

I plan on using my old pump, but its going to take alot of work to get it working again, my little brother had it and didnt clean it after the last time he used it. so for atleast the rest of this season I have to get a new gun, (buying used) or use a rental and hope its not a POS. I am still reading up on the newer guns to see if i can find what i want.
Blue60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 01:01 PM   #13 (permalink)

One thing to watch out for when you start trying to use that Maverick is rollouts. Paint has gotten much smaller in the last couple years and it's very possible that if you try to use current paint in your Maverick barrel it will roll out. Besides being annoying and wasteful, this can make the gun very inaccurate because sometimes the ball won't roll all the way out and each shot can vary greatly in velocity.

This will be hard to do if you don't have any fresh new paintballs on hand yet, but using some nail polish you can build up some detents on the breech end of your barrel to grip the paintball properly before you shoot. Masking or electrical tape can work too for a while, and you'll want to bring some with you when you go to shoot.

Ergonomics is all personal preference, but I would think that coming from a Maverick a TIppmann 98 would feel extremely long, heavy and cumbersome compared to your Maverick. The modern single-tube spool-valved electronic guns like the G3 and Ion better mirror a pumpgun's feel and handling because they position the feedneck directly over your trigger finger.
The Inflicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 11:44 AM   #14 (permalink)
Rec Poster

OK, as a guy who's owned a variety of Tippmann's in my life, I can tell you this - I really, REALLY hate the Custom 98. I hate the way it feels, I hate the plastic foregrip, I thought the flatline was all kinds of hogwash, I dislike the barrel threads and...well, let's just say that I hate it. HOWEVER, I love the SL-68 (pump), the pro-lite and the carbine. Those things are workhorses, seldom break and are a ton of fun to shoot (though the trigger pull on the pro-lite is HEAVY. You can probably find a pro-lite for around $50 on this forum. That thing can't be beat for durability, and comfort (except for the trigger pull). Plus, since you like the milisim look, the pro-lite kind of looks like a shotgun.

The carbine improved the trigger pull and the grip is more like a .45 frame. It's also solid.
Cromulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 01:35 AM   #15 (permalink)

I second Cromulus. I have no problem with the way a 98 works, I just can't stand cleaning them. Pro-Lites seem to be going for $30-$40 on eBay and I'm still using the one I got in 96'.

Not a lot you need to do to refurbish a Maverick. If the parts are really corroded I recommend 10-20min soaking in white vinegar followed by a polish with baking soda and a cloth.
Old 09-02-2010, 05:17 PM   #16 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

The SL-68 II are pretty sweet simple work horses. I have a fleet of em (5) and spent about 5 minutes and $2 each to replace all the orings, back to like new functioning. But the stock barrels are .690" and rollouts are common, a little tape in the breach fixes that (or a new barrel).
SockMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 07:29 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SockMonkey View Post
The SL-68 II are pretty sweet simple work horses. I have a fleet of em (5) and spent about 5 minutes and $2 each to replace all the orings, back to like new functioning. But the stock barrels are .690" and rollouts are common, a little tape in the breach fixes that (or a new barrel).
That or nail polish. It's surprising that with the new SL-68 II...2 out there haven't been any aftermarket barrels for it yet.
The Inflicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 08:51 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inflicted View Post
That or nail polish. It's surprising that with the new SL-68 II...2 out there haven't been any aftermarket barrels for it yet.
Palmer is still making brass barrels for them and I've seen some J&J ceramic in online stores. What surprises me is how good the stock barrel is. First thing I did when I got a Pro-Lite was replace that raw aluminum pipe Tippmann put on it and most of the people I know who have gotten a 98 do the same thing. For some reason the raw aluminum on my SL-68 II is great.
Old 09-03-2010, 12:55 PM   #19 (permalink)
Post Whore

Welcome. And I will mirror the previous comments to just tear down and clean your current marker, use it and try other things on the field when you go out. Most paintballers are happy to let you at least pop off a few rounds at the chrono station with their gear, if not let you play a game or two with it.

Take some time to see what works best with you.

I also started the M98 route at first. There are tons of mods for them, and it's fun piecing it together, but in the end they are heavy, long and cumbersome as well as hard to breakdown, clean and get back together.

I have found that I really do like Automags for their reliability and (for me) ergonomics.. yet I never put my Phantom down long enough to get used to semi again... but own 3 Mags.

Don't worry about pump vs. semi vs. electro... find what you like and play that. In the end, that's what is going to improve your game the most, and provide the most fun, which is the whole point of playing, eh? Just try everything until you find a good fit for you, then hone your skill around that.

Welcome back to the game. (DAMN! I just lost the game for myself. Sunnofabitch!!!!!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramous View Post
But what it all comes down to is if your having fun. If your not having fun playing against people using full auto with a pump, then switch to a semi; fun is the only thing that really matters in paintball.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mstrtal View Post
rub their little faces right in their own piss while yelling NO NO NO as loud as you can while smacking them on the back of the head.
spawnsharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 03:11 PM   #20 (permalink)

I went to the Camp X field last weekend and used a Rental (98 custom) and i didn't find the gun to bad for a rental (in 4 games I had 10 "kills"), I fired a Sierra one that my friend has, now I am looking at a tippmen A5, but i still like the Kingsman MR1 it looks like a nice mix of a Milsim and Speedball gun. I just cant find anyone with a MR1 to find out what they like / don't like about it.

I intend on using my Pump from time to time, one of my other friends is getting one and we plan on playing just pump once a month and then using our other guns the rest of the time.
Blue60 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » New To The Sport