mcarterbrown.com  

New To The Sport Just started playing? Been playing for a while, but you have a question you should have asked years ago? Drop a line, we answer

Old 09-03-2010, 04:54 PM   #21 (permalink)
Post Whore

Haven't heard anything good about the Kingman MR1. WallyWorld specials, not easy to maintain, and not much room to upgrade...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramous View Post
But what it all comes down to is if your having fun. If your not having fun playing against people using full auto with a pump, then switch to a semi; fun is the only thing that really matters in paintball.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mstrtal View Post
rub their little faces right in their own piss while yelling NO NO NO as loud as you can while smacking them on the back of the head.
spawnsharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 05:26 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnsharks View Post
Haven't heard anything good about the Kingman MR1. WallyWorld specials, not easy to maintain, and not much room to upgrade...
Thanks, that is one less gun on my list to think about.
I am going to one of the shops today and take a look at some other guns...
Blue60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 04:21 AM   #23 (permalink)

The A5 is good, but it is still a pain in the butt clamshell marker and Tippmann now sells cyclone feeds for the 98. Price wise a dirt cheap used 98 from eBay and a new cyclone might be a good deal if you want something very much like the A5.

I'll have to let someone else compare the A5 and 98 w/ Cyclone as I have only played briefly with an A5 and never with a 98 w/ Cyclone.

I won't get into the origins of BT paintball, but all their stuff is very similar to Tippmanns.

Piranha makes a gun that is aesthetically similar to an A5 but without the cyclone. It is called a PCS US5 (PCS US*5 Paintball Gun Package @ Direct Paintball) and I know almost nothing about it because the freaking Piranha site is STILL down and Kee Sports STILL won't believe me . I don't know whether or not it is a clamshell but if it isn't and has similar performance to a 98 then I'd get it instead of a 98.

Of course when you're looking for a new gun PB Review is a good site to look at (Markers Paintball Reviews | pbreview.com).
Old 09-04-2010, 12:09 PM   #24 (permalink)
Post Whore

Might I suggest you leave your wallet on the desk, and keep your camera handy. Just hang out in the B/S/T with the other gun whores and buy guns that will be sold again even before then hit your doorstep. Play with what you can, but keep true to the spirit of MCB and hoard, whore, hoard. It's the only real way to live around here. And as always... threads are useless without pics.

Eventually you'll have 8-10 that you will not sell for any price.. but will guiltlessly trade away when some other shiny thing catches your eye the following day. MCB members are like women in jewelry shops... we want it all, and what is absolutely perfect one moment is just not going to cut it a week from now (or, as I said... sometimes before it even arrives)

So... keep funds in Paypal, get a second job, and staart mowing lawns or shoveling drives to finance your new addiction. Eventually you'll find something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramous View Post
But what it all comes down to is if your having fun. If your not having fun playing against people using full auto with a pump, then switch to a semi; fun is the only thing that really matters in paintball.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mstrtal View Post
rub their little faces right in their own piss while yelling NO NO NO as loud as you can while smacking them on the back of the head.
spawnsharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 01:41 PM   #25 (permalink)

the wife took my wallet from me as we walked into the Store, I played with a bunch of markers and acted as if i was a bit on the slow side and the guy tried to sell me a way over priced gun..... I am keeping a eye on the B/S/T threads and my local Kijiji.
I only plan on have 3 or 4 guns, 1 Milsim rifle, a Pump or 2 (have one all ready) and a pistol. thats the plan anyways but I am going to turn in to a total gun whore. (you should see my Classic Video game collection)
Old 09-04-2010, 05:27 PM   #26 (permalink)

Atari 2600! Whoo!

My problem isn't collecting shiny guns for my own use but collecting guns to lend to people in pickup games. There is only one official field within 100 miles or so and I don't like it, so most games I've played have been private and of course there are no rentals. The real challenge is lending out your favorite gun to a new player and playing with the stock stingray you picked up for $10 at a yard sale.
Old 09-07-2010, 06:06 PM   #27 (permalink)
DSL is new here

Play with the Maverick, its a great gun. And cleaning that baby out is a cinch. Hot water and soap should get most of it clean and then some steelwool and elbow grease to get the rust off the hammer. Run some synthetic air tool oil through it and its good to go. And if you get roll outs a piece or two of electrical tape down in the barrel will stop that.

As for getting a new gun, I'd avoid the Tippmanns' they're quite a money pit, heavy, and a pain to actually take care of. The only tippmann I'd actually consider is the Phenom, but Its still big and bulky.

The MR1 is actually easy to maintain just like any other spyder, but any spyder made after about 2000 is features low quality. I've seen way too many grip frames just fall off during play because the threads just stripped out of the body.

If I had to suggest a gun to you it would depend on your level of skill with working on stuff.
If you have no skill working on stuff what so ever, get a nice simple automag and call it a day, run oil through it every time you play and clean it off.

If you have some skill and don't mind learning You have two choices:
An autococker if you want a mechanical, best advice is read a ton.
A 3 generation (gen) Bob Long Intimidator (timmy) (alias, empire 2, etc), if you want to shoot really fast.
I have a feeling though you'll end up getting the timmy have fun for a few months and then be right back to using the Mav.

Gear Bag Sale!

Take my drop box referral and we both get an extra 250 Mb free!
Quote:
Originally Posted by killedcookie View Post
I propose we make a brass guillotine.
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 09:01 PM   #28 (permalink)

Tippanns are a pain to take care of but you want him to get a cocker?

Last edited by The Great Equalizer; 09-17-2010 at 04:00 AM.
The Great Equalizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 09:03 PM   #29 (permalink)
DSL is new here

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Equalizer View Post
Tippanns are a paint to take care of but you want him o get a cocker?
Once you get a cocker shooting right and dont fiddle around with it see'll shoot just fine. Once you start messing around with things is when stuff stops working. I bet you could take a 2k1 prostock right out of the box (if its bnib) and go play with it without issue. Maybe throw some oil in the asa before you go play.

Gear Bag Sale!

Take my drop box referral and we both get an extra 250 Mb free!
Quote:
Originally Posted by killedcookie View Post
I propose we make a brass guillotine.
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 09:27 PM   #30 (permalink)

I might get a cocker in the future (I want to learn) , I am thinking of holding off till the winter to get a gun, then I can get more bang for my buck in buying a used gun as the average person is not thinking of playing when the snow is fall.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » New To The Sport