mcarterbrown.com  

New To The Sport Just started playing? Been playing for a while, but you have a question you should have asked years ago? Drop a line, we answer

Old 09-14-2010, 05:43 PM   #1 (permalink)

New to The Addicting Sport!!

What is up!? I am fairly new to the game and the forum. I have played a few times and am now HOOKED! I actually found out about MCB from a guy that I met in NH on the field. This site came highly recommended. Anyway, I am looking for some help on finding a decent marker that is light and accurate. I have been trying to do some research but there are so many different markers out there that I feel like my head is going to explode. I already purchased my mask (DYE i4). I know that was the most important part of the equipment. Now I need some advice on a new toy. Should I buy used or new? Ebay or no? WGP, ANS, Boblong, etc. etc. You get the picture. Any advice good or bad would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Hoooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 05:54 PM   #2 (permalink)

Welcome. Its always good to have some fresh blood. I'm just going to start by asking you a question.
What is your budget? This is partially because the marker is not the only consideration. Airsource(price of Co2 tank 20$ price of new HPA tank 130$) and hopper can add up to be about as much as some of the mid level markers.
You said light and accurate. I interpret that as meaning a low-midlevel electronic marker.
Ill get back to you on the rest after you reply to what I have.
Old 09-14-2010, 06:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
Meow.

AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Welcome to MCB: We will all become your friends but your wallet will soon hate you.

Watch your wallet and you will find out about MAr soon enough. Hehehe

Anyways, as far as a gun goes, what type of play are you looking for? Pump, mech-semi, electro-semi? Since MCB is all about oldschool, I am going to recommend getting a pump, but I might be a bit bias.

If you do decide to go the pump route, I would suggest getting a WGP sniper or some variant of that platform (CCM, Sanchez Machine, etc) as they are easy to work with and the most customizable (arguably) of the common pump platforms out there. They are also super easy to find replacement parts for unlike some older guns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagels View Post
When face palm is not enough, you face rocket.
i8pie2day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 06:02 PM   #4 (permalink)

My budget would be roughly about $500.00 to $600.00. I figured that would be a good start. I don't want to go too haywire or the wife will have my balls for dinner I think that's a pretty good start.
Old 09-14-2010, 06:03 PM   #5 (permalink)

So no problems affording an HPA tank. Thats what I am interpreting this as.
EDIT: Shoulda made this longer
Anyway set aside about 200 for a HPA Tank+cover and a half decent hopper.

I'm going to start with the easy thing and work down to the controversy.
Hopper is a huge preference thing. I personally don't like the rotor or the prophecy(current generation, popular favorites) as I think they provide more performance than is ever necessary and at most fields legal. They do jam slightly less however I haven't had problems with my VL Evolution or Halo B yet(last generation favorites)

Tanks and preference vary from person to person. It took me forever to find my preferred size(56/4500; hard to find) you have the money so I would recommend a 4500 tank. Not all fields will fill to 4500 but it is always a nice option. I would recommend you go to a proshop and just ask if you can try a few of the common sizes(45/45, 68/45, 88/45) on one of their markers just to see what length and capacity you want.
Marker wise that leaves you about 300. This is where the controversy comes in. Every person will tell you its preference(actually everything you asked about was).
I am not going to tell you what gun to buy.
I would look at the Dangerous Powers guns(G3,G4) They are a common starter electro. As is the Invert Mini.
............The mini(using an inline poppet valve) is a bit more popular, It has a bit higher efficiency, but some complain about the consistency of shots and the ergonomics of the front grip.
............The G3 uses a different valve system(spool) that is somewhat more likely to break O-rings 2 of which are somewhat annoying to replace, and gets less shots per tank.(I had gotten a hopper and 5 pods off of my 56ci tank filled to 3k so still plenty).

Last edited by mcnchez; 09-14-2010 at 06:21 PM.
mcnchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 06:10 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnchez View Post
So no problems affording an HPA tank. Thats what I am interpreting this as.
Correct. Just unsure on size.
Old 09-14-2010, 06:13 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by i8pie2day View Post
Welcome to MCB: We will all become your friends but your wallet will soon hate you.

Watch your wallet and you will find out about MAr soon enough. Hehehe

Anyways, as far as a gun goes, what type of play are you looking for? Pump, mech-semi, electro-semi? Since MCB is all about oldschool, I am going to recommend getting a pump, but I might be a bit bias.

If you do decide to go the pump route, I would suggest getting a WGP sniper or some variant of that platform (CCM, Sanchez Machine, etc) as they are easy to work with and the most customizable (arguably) of the common pump platforms out there. They are also super easy to find replacement parts for unlike some older guns.

I am unsure, this is where alot of my confusion comes into play. I don't even know how the pump markers work. This is why I am here, to ask the gods.
Old 09-14-2010, 06:21 PM   #8 (permalink)

Edited my previous post with more info. Pump markers(usually) use the pump stroke to open the chamber and let another ball drop in and reset the valve to firing position simultaneously.
Old 09-14-2010, 06:21 PM   #9 (permalink)

I had spotted this on Ebay. Any opinions?

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices
Old 09-14-2010, 06:24 PM   #10 (permalink)
Legendary

You have a LOT to learn.

Know this: There is a lot of bull**** and bad information out there. You're going to have to spend a lot of time wading through and deciding what's true and what isn't. I will try to save your wallet by providing some basic truths.
  • There is nothing wrong with buying a used gun.
  • Neither barrels nor the gun itself have a significant impact on accuracy. The most important factor is the quality of paint you shoot through it.
  • THERE IS NO BEST GUN. If there was we'd all have one.
  • In fact, there is no best (insert component here). If there was we'd all be using it.
  • People are often flattered when you approach them at the field and ask if you can shoot a few rounds through their gun. Do this to get a sense of what's out there.

There is so much out there for you to absorb at this point it'll be a bit overwhelming. I might liken it to a person who has just seen his first car and says, "TELL ME EVERYTHING!"

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » New To The Sport