mcarterbrown.com  

New To The Sport Just started playing? Been playing for a while, but you have a question you should have asked years ago? Drop a line, we answer

Old 04-23-2006, 10:02 PM   #11 (permalink)
Lost the Daylight

Send a message via ICQ to Listessa Send a message via AIM to Listessa Send a message via MSN to Listessa Send a message via Yahoo to Listessa

Just a point found for those of us out there with glasses (especially odd shaped frames).

Go to your local store, and try everything on. I mean everything. I just did, and found that the only mask I could get on over my glasses without smushing them into my face and smudging them, or that didn't press the frames crooked into my nose was the Vforce Profiler. I had expected the Vents mask or that other brand with a lack of foam on the sides to work better; however they crushed my glasses into my nose, or I couldn't manage to get the frames to stay on while I donned the mask.

Also, breath a lot into the mask without hyperventilating to see if it fogs.

Appearntly $90ish later I found a decent mask that will let me use my glasses to see what I'm shooting at over the long range.

Facilis est Descensus Averni.
<--Click to descend to my feedback.
NO'MAAM #2"National Organization Members Against AGG Metrosexuals" Rouge Cell #3
Listessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 04:54 PM   #12 (permalink)
XYZZY

Send a message via AIM to Jaan Send a message via Yahoo to Jaan

You should also include masks that have fans available. In my experience, the only thing that will keep glasses from fogging is a decent mask fan.

"My happiness doesn't depend on anything. My heart is always happy. I do have anger issues though."
Jaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 02:10 PM   #13 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Pretty much any mask can fit a home made fan. I have one in my profiler and it keeps my glasses from fogging!

A small 25mm fan cost me about €15. Some wireing,, a 9v battery plug, and a simple switch costs me about €3. Some glue and other attatchemnt materials was €2. That's a goggle fan for €20 (~$25)! Those special fans made for some mask are double that price!

Last edited by P4p3Rc1iP; 08-29-2006 at 02:37 PM.
P4p3Rc1iP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 02:53 PM   #14 (permalink)
XYZZY

Send a message via AIM to Jaan Send a message via Yahoo to Jaan

Paperclip ... do you mean something like this:

http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...1#post23302991

Yup, that's me

It's not that you can't make one yourself ... this is a thread for newbies and a buying guide, that's why I didn't mention it originally. A lot of people would just assume buy something already made.

"My happiness doesn't depend on anything. My heart is always happy. I do have anger issues though."
Jaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 07:43 PM   #15 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Yup, though yours is about 10 times more advanced than mine.

Mine is just a battery, a switch and the fan.

Here's some pics:
http://home.planet.nl/~viss2888/gogfan1.jpg
http://home.planet.nl/~viss2888/gogfan2.jpg
http://home.planet.nl/~viss2888/gogfan3.jpg
http://home.planet.nl/~viss2888/gogfan4.jpg

Note, some metal bits are a little rusty from last week's play in heavy rain It's working fine though.
P4p3Rc1iP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 06:01 AM   #16 (permalink)

Im a little late but i wanted to reitterate a few points, because i feel the mask purchase is SO important in paintball.

i started with a mask that had a crappy knicked up lense, and the ''foam''(more like steel wool) would leave red rash marks on my face after like an hour of play, and it was horrible. Fortunatley even entry level masks THESE days arent as uncomfortable as the one i started out with.

But seriously, i reccomend this being the one area you 'splurge' in if your new to the sport, or just want to upgrade.

ive worn a lot of different masks and my advice to you is CHECK OUT THE VFORCE PROFILERS.

The field of view on these things are NUTS, its like you dont even have a mask on - its like looking out a window with your face an inch away. Theres also a good amount of space between your face and the lense so like Listessa said - they are a must-have for people who wear glasses, or hate having feeling smushed into their mask.

These things are rediculously comfortable and lightweight, its really like you dont have a mask on at all. The lense is domed and that really kills any glare and helps keep your perspective of objects in check.

They look really great on your head, come in a good range of the basic colors - and protection is everywhere you need it but nowhere you dont(unlike cheap masks which tend to be too protective or not protective enough).

The pricetag on these things are up there but if you buy a set they will last you for years. Ive had mine for about 3 seasons and they are just as good as the day i bought them. Swapping out the lenses is very easy for cleaning. They are just everything you would want in a mask, highly highly reccomended.

Feedback...
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=13240
midnite-penguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 01:35 AM   #17 (permalink)
Inconceivable!

If you can find them, a JT Proteus II is also a great bet. I haven't found a more comfortable mask yet aside from the Profiler, and the Proteus is significantly cheaper to buy and maintain.

Unless you're like me and addicted to Prizm lenses. An orange mirror just looks right with a green chameleon.
TrracerAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 07:25 AM   #18 (permalink)
Stock Class Aficionado

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrracerAce View Post
If you can find them, a JT Proteus II is also a great bet. I haven't found a more comfortable mask yet aside from the Profiler, and the Proteus is significantly cheaper to buy and maintain.

Unless you're like me and addicted to Prizm lenses. An orange mirror just looks right with a green chameleon.
I agree! The Proteus II is a VERY comfortable mask (I have chameleon as well, but with silver mirror), but I do have one problem with it compared to the Profiler (which I also own). The Proteus II has poor ventilation compared to the Profiler. This is due to the mask bending towards your mouth. I find it hard to wear sometimes, especially in intense games, for this reason. Maybe that is just me...
Old 10-30-2007, 02:09 PM   #19 (permalink)
Sailor by choice

Send a message via AIM to shoot to thrill

Palmers Fan
I love the profilers, just switching from the orignal Invisions, the profilers only cost about 60 now as well since vforce just came out with the grillz

MCB Feedback

New England Waterman, a nautical life

New England Waterman Photography
shoot to thrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 05:53 PM   #20 (permalink)
Stock Class Aficionado

CCM Fan
I recently bought a JT Proflex, and I was blown away. It has greater horizontal vision than the Profiler (vertical is a little less due to the lack of the VForce cheek wells), and I find it about the same in terms of comfort. One thing I do like about it is I find it a little easier to breath in compared to the Profiler.

I will continue to have both masks in my collection, and use both of them, but I really am liking the Proflex. Only "negative" point is the lens changing, VForce wins. That is why I will always have Profilers in service as scenario masks as I tend to get sprayed a lot during those games.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » New To The Sport