mcarterbrown.com  

New To The Sport Just started playing? Been playing for a while, but you have a question you should have asked years ago? Drop a line, we answer

Old 07-05-2011, 07:51 PM   #1 (permalink)

How young is too young for paintball?

Today one of my co-workers expressed interest in getting into paintball -- very exciting! But, he also asked me if I think that his son would do ok (I think he's 10 or 11, not 100% sure). I explained to him that the pain factor really isn't that much of an issue since being shot doesn't hurt all that much, but that it's more an issue of being able to deal with the adrenaline rush of being shot at without panicking.

I (and I'm sure many of you) have seen kids younger than my co-worker's son do great and have an awesome time and older kids completely lose their mind and cower behind bunkers for the whole game. So I'm not really sure what to advise him. I suggested that my co-worker come out and play with me this weekend to judge for himself how he thinks his son will fare, but I'm not sure that's really the best advice I can give. Should I tell them both to just come on out and have a go, or what?

Any suggestions? Thanks!
Old 07-05-2011, 08:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
Backard Engineer Special

I think 10 or 11 is fine. Just give them the choice of quitting mid day if they don't like it.

They can load pods, and tubes, and stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitch View Post
The prototype is usually the hardest - then come the refinements then the ooohs and the aaaahs but they are always preceded by the !#@!@#! and the !#!!#@!% and the GAAAAAAHS
slinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 08:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
Bolt Action/Pistol Player

Fan of EMR
Brass N Wood Fan
My son started playing at 10. He'd been harassing me to play since he was old enough to know what it was (4? 5?), but his mother and I decided 10 was the right age.

He's 16 now, and still plays regularly, and often plays pump with his Dad.

S.C.A.R. - The Simulated Combat Association of Rhode Island - S.C.A.R. on Facebook - My MCB Feedback - Meet "The Devil's Brass"
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgorman47 View Post
The devil's brass uses an evil sighting system powered by juju obtained from the deep and ominous laughter from the gun's owner himself.......seriously playing in a game against Born4Evil , and you see him sneaking your way, then BAM and all you hear is something to the effect of "Haha can't get away from the Devil's Brass!" Born4Evil seriously sounds like the devil himself, and its awesome. That gun is hands down the most badass gun in my mind.
Born4Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 08:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
won't look at the camera

Fan of EMR
10 or 11 are the most popular cutoff points for insurance purposes.

"But if somebody left you out on a ledge, If somebody pushed you over the edge, If somebody loved you and left you for dead,
You got to hold on to your time till you break through these times of trouble"
Temple of the Dog
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironnerd88 View Post
Tournament play is about the worst spectator sport out there. I would rather watch Synchronized Dungeons & Dragons.

My Feedback: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/s...3932#post13932
Chappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 08:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
MCB member U MEMMMBER?

Mine were...12 when they first played.My wife freaked when my daughter came home with a bruise from it! She played...He hides!! lol
I just had to get them chest protectors...due too mom! They dont use them now@19
FEEDBACK :http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...ml#post1194437[url]
PAYPAL: PREMIUM VERIFIED USER
our work halloween pic as my Avi.......
oldskoolkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 08:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
Village Idiot

Send a message via AIM to Greenmtnphantom Send a message via MSN to Greenmtnphantom

Fan of EMR
There is a couple that plays paintball with us that wouldn't let their kids play until they could stand in the back yard and at a reasonable distance (think it was about 50ft) took a hit. Standing there and taking it hurts alot more than in a game. If they didn't cry or whine about it they could play.
I don't so much make money, as provide a conduit for it's movement.
Mega Z for sale: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/m...el-mega-z.html
Stock class = 12grams and a stick feed. End discussion.
Greenmtnphantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 08:30 PM   #7 (permalink)
MCB Member

They have to be old enough to understand the importance of never removing their mask. Around 10 seems to be about the right age for that concept to be able to sink in.
Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 09:10 PM   #8 (permalink)
Bolt Action/Pistol Player

Fan of EMR
Brass N Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenmtnphantom View Post
There is a couple that plays paintball with us that wouldn't let their kids play until they could stand in the back yard and at a reasonable distance (think it was about 50ft) took a hit.
I did the same thing with my son before we let him play.

S.C.A.R. - The Simulated Combat Association of Rhode Island - S.C.A.R. on Facebook - My MCB Feedback - Meet "The Devil's Brass"
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgorman47 View Post
The devil's brass uses an evil sighting system powered by juju obtained from the deep and ominous laughter from the gun's owner himself.......seriously playing in a game against Born4Evil , and you see him sneaking your way, then BAM and all you hear is something to the effect of "Haha can't get away from the Devil's Brass!" Born4Evil seriously sounds like the devil himself, and its awesome. That gun is hands down the most badass gun in my mind.
Born4Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 09:10 PM   #9 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
They have to be old enough to understand the importance of never removing their mask. Around 10 seems to be about the right age for that concept to be able to sink in.
+1
Too many times have i seen young renters lifting their masks because its foggy. They dont realize how easy it is for an eye accident to happen. Understanding proper safety is paramount.

Also, make sure he understands and practices proper sportsmanship and etiquette. (e.g. not overshooting, complementing someone after they shoot you out, GGing after a game, etc)
-=ArchAngel=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 09:19 PM   #10 (permalink)
F*'n Gin Alley Legend

Normally for most fields you have to be at least 10 to play and 13 at some others. I always suggest taking younger kids out to play for their first time in early spring or fall when the temperatures are cooler. That way they can put on a couple layers to help minimize the sting of getting hit and not be uncomfortable.

Just stress the importance of keeping the mask on at all times on the playing field and things should be good. I also like giving young first timers a mechanical gun if possible until they develop some trigger discipline since they are harder to accidentally shoot.

“She’s totally gross over 90% of her body. The other 10% is crazy nasty.” - Dr. Ice Cream
"Although where I come from, we call it Quartz, Parchment, Shears." - Pops

Black barrel covers will get you bonus balled.

Chris From Flurry is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » New To The Sport