mcarterbrown.com

New To The Sport Just started playing? Been playing for a while, but you have a question you should have asked years ago? Drop a line, we answer

Old 04-06-2006, 10:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

What is Stock Class Paintball?

Introduction: I was going to post a guide for stock class play, but I thought I would start a discussion first, so as to make sure all aspects are thoroughly covered.

Purpose: to help us all understand what stock class paintball is really about. I recognize that there are views about what constitutes stock class play, and I'm sure we can have a fruitful, respectful discussion. I will start by offering my understanding of stock class, at which point the more knowledgeable members should feel free to chime in.

Stock Class Paintball
-A style of play in which players compete using fundamental skills, such as movement, team tactics, and purposeful aiming, rather than rate of fire to win the match.

Marker must meet the following basic guidelines:
-Manual cocking action for each shot. This includes pump, bolt-action, push button, lever action. No semi-automatic or pneumatic assist.
-Powered by single 12 gram CO2 cartridge
-Paintballs loaded via a "stick feed" mounted horizontally in relation to the barrel

Additionally, the following rules are typically enforced:
-Only one paintball can rest above the breech in the feed
-A stickfeed may have a capacity of no more than 20 balls
-CO2 changer must require at least two full turns to remove
-CO2 cartridge must pass through threads of changer. Dropout and lever changers not permitted.
-No check valve may be installed to retain gas pressure in marker when CO2 cartridge is removed

Some even more quirky rules have been applied at one time or another:
It should be noted that these rules are no longer in use, and were probably used with specific types in mind. They were probably not intended to exclude common markers.
-Marker must have non-removable barrel
-Barrel should be unported
-Marker should not be equipped with an autotrigger
-Stick feed should be mounted touching the barrel

Stock Class Today:
Practically speaking, Stock Class refers to the use of a marker that meets the basic guidelines above. That is, a stock class marker is:
-Powered by 12 gram CO2 catridges
-Fed by a stick feed.

[No organization provides official rules; specific rules will be determined by event organizers.]

Modified Stock Class:
Use of marker that is fed by a stick feed, but can be powered using a "bulk" CO2 tank, instead of 12 gram cartridges. Many prefer Mod Stock because it saves the expense of 12 grams.

Gentlemen and Ladies, feel free to offer your input. I may have overlooked something in compiling this guide. Feel free to offer your courteous suggestions if you feel there is something incorrect or missing.

MrJR

Last edited by MrJR; 03-05-2009 at 11:05 AM.
MrJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 11:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
I am stuck on bandaid...

In the second-tier rules you should add that there can be no drop-outs or lever changers.
JaKaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 12:17 AM   #3 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Ah, good. I don't think that is covered explicitly in the original post.
MrJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 07:39 AM   #4 (permalink)
Post Whore

You state pump only. But really as long as the cycling action is manual it is still stock class.

I prefer modified stock myself though.
POG #934 / CPPA #2157 / LPPC #1 / BLACKLEAF OUTFITTERS
"Post because you have something to contribute, not because you want to contribute to your post count." - Me
A5OG / STRIKE FORCE MEMBER
shartley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 10:00 AM   #5 (permalink)
a.k.a. FullSpinPaintball

AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Don't forget no auto-trigger in the first tier rules. The Phantom has an autotrigger, but the rule is rarely enforced... plus it's pretty hard to use it in VSC mode with any effectiveness, unless you're pointing slightly downward.

** Spin Doctor's Paintball Page
** MCB Feedback
** PBN Feedback
** PBN Feedback (old)

Agglet re: Frink: "Much like a newborn baby your collection is both beautiful and disgusting."
russc: "PBN is a business, and that's why they prefer thousands of morons to hundreds of intelligent posters"
drum: "Between the ammo shipments and all the long rectangular packages, not to mention regular mail from the Pa. Superior Court, my mailman is pretty sure that I am a freak."
SpinDoctor15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 10:28 AM   #6 (permalink)
Exterminate!

Send a message via AIM to WilD

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
RTP Fan
This is mostly covered by the term "bucket changer" but language I have seen several times before describes the requirement for the 12 gram to "pass through the threads" of the changer. I'm not sure if that really adds anything to your description, but its how I've seen it before and may help clarify for people who don't know what a bucket changer is. However, this language seems to exclude stock Nelspots and the Crossman 3357, which are usually allowed in stock class but have the 12 gram under a grip panel. I never understood that part.

I also agree with shartley that pump is a misleading term, as bolt action (Nelspot 007, Sheridan PG, Splatmaster) and the wheel guns (3357, AGA 62) are usually considered stock class markers too.

The Crossman and AGA may be better left out of the disscussion though as they appear to be exceptions to several rules. Maybe I'm just off my rocker and they were never stock class legal.

Last edited by WilD; 04-07-2006 at 10:33 AM.
WilD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 11:04 AM   #7 (permalink)
Distruster of Joggers

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinDoctor15
Don't forget no auto-trigger in the first tier rules. The Phantom has an autotrigger, but the rule is rarely enforced... plus it's pretty hard to use it in VSC mode with any effectiveness, unless you're pointing slightly downward.

For some reason I never connected with that thought, so all those people running around claiming to be playing pure stock class with their phantoms are in fact.....not. Must be my natural dislike of the phantom that makes me blank it from my mind
Old 04-07-2006, 01:33 PM   #8 (permalink)
Not in the picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by jincay
For some reason I never connected with that thought, so all those people running around claiming to be playing pure stock class with their phantoms are in fact.....not. Must be my natural dislike of the phantom that makes me blank it from my mind
Yeah, the autotrigger rule is kinda funny, considering that even the 007's had it. I understand the spirit of it, but when you start excluding some of the primordial models, you have to ask when could rules like these have ever been the norm. My suspicion is that the "rules" were never very well documented because there was not much other choice than to play with guns that met the above description (or close to it). Semis, CA, and other "modern" features wouldn't have been explicitly excluded because they weren't commonly available anyway.
Yellow5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 01:43 PM   #9 (permalink)
Distruster of Joggers

It seems like it is directed at snipers and sheridans only, which as Yellow5 pointed out makes no sense as nearly all nelson have the autotrigger, its a modern approach to keeping walls of paint being thrown out by high end pump guns.

I wonder if anyone has ever been told to remove an autotrigger from a sheridan when trying to play a serious stock class game, you could turn around and get all phantoms thrown of the field for the same reason.

My other concern would be why only 68 paint? Is that to eliminate the use of the crosman 3357 or AGA62, if it is then I could understand using that to get rid of them but then what about the 62 sniper & the 62 bushmaster, heck I have a 62 splatoon pump gun that runs on HPA from the late 80's.
Old 04-07-2006, 03:09 PM   #10 (permalink)
Merc

Send a message via AIM to JOESPUD27

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by shartley
You state pump only. But really as long as the cycling action is manual it is still stock class.

I prefer modified stock myself though.
Mod. Stock Class 4 Life! It really is the most fun I've had playing paintball.

Jay

Best Field in STL
JOESPUD27 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » New To The Sport