mcarterbrown.com  

New To The Sport Just started playing? Been playing for a while, but you have a question you should have asked years ago? Drop a line, we answer

Old 03-30-2012, 04:32 PM   #1 (permalink)

Newbie Gear Questions

Hi all,
I'm new to MCB and owning markers, but I've been playing on and off for a couple years now.
I'm working on putting together a pretty solid setup as inexpensively as possible. I got a used A5 from somebody around here a little while ago that I fixed up, so I'm set on a marker for the next long while.
My questions are:

1. I have a 47/3K steel tank that a friend gave me, but he said the regulator has unthreaded itself a bit at the top (above the gauge) and at the bottom where it connects to the tank. Is this something I can just retorque myself, or does it need professional help?

2. Is a proconnect worth the money? I've got a remote line now, but it doesn't have a slide check, so I'm going to get one or the other.

3. The A5 has a stock barrel. That needs to go, because accuracy is pretty terrible. If I'm looking for accuracy at decent range and don't particularly care about noise, should I look at a flatline, apex, or just a smooth barrel? If I go with an apex, do I also want a better barrel for it, or will that not make a difference?

4. My A5 came with a JCS folding stock. It seems really easy to work on, so I'd like to do something to it to make aiming with a mask easier. Suggestions?

Thanks!
Klokworker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 04:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ridin' The ShortBus

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
Palmers Fan
I have no idea about A5....so Welcome to MCB. I'd ditch the steely and go CF tank - should be able to pick up a used one here. Apex barrels are nice.

For Optics I would suggest a red dot site - easy to "see" your target although I've never used one yet - but from what people on here say, they are better than a scope...which is pretty useless on a paintball gun...but they look cool!
The Southern Alberta Pump League TheSAPL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApoC_101 View Post
I'd date a girl with a cocker.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slappadapink View Post
....bro, you just gave me a quarter chub.
Jebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 05:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
Not Worthy Of "MCBer"

1. Pics. Given a new 47/3k is a whopping $50 brand spanking new, I find it hard to see why you would bother playing roulette with the single most dangerous part of your gun. Go find some less dangerous part of your marker to cut corners on.

2. Put the tank on the gun.

3. Freak system w/ brass inserts.

4. Remove the stock and learn to aim down your barrel.
Logic and reason are anathema to him; but this does not deter him from prattling on.
He is the most interesting player in the world.
GoatBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 05:24 PM   #4 (permalink)
No Effects, just cooler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klokworker View Post
Hi all,
I'm new to MCB and owning markers, but I've been playing on and off for a couple years now.
I'm working on putting together a pretty solid setup as inexpensively as possible. I got a used A5 from somebody around here a little while ago that I fixed up, so I'm set on a marker for the next long while.
My questions are:

1. I have a 47/3K steel tank that a friend gave me, but he said the regulator has unthreaded itself a bit at the top (above the gauge) and at the bottom where it connects to the tank. Is this something I can just retorque myself, or does it need professional help?

If it's simply the bonnet that has come unthreaded, you can do it yourself. If the regulator has come loose from the tank, I'd recommend bring it to a proshop if you don't know what you're doing. Take note though, any maintenance done to the tank reg should ALWAYS be done while the tank is 100% empty.

2. Is a proconnect worth the money? I've got a remote line now, but it doesn't have a slide check, so I'm going to get one or the other.

Personally the ProConnect is more trouble then it's worth. All the fittings are nonstandard, so if you happen to loose a part, you're SOL. I've always been a fan of the simple standard slide check style. I had a Spyder one back in the day that was bulletproof.

3. The A5 has a stock barrel. That needs to go, because accuracy is pretty terrible. If I'm looking for accuracy at decent range and don't particularly care about noise, should I look at a flatline, apex, or just a smooth barrel? If I go with an apex, do I also want a better barrel for it, or will that not make a difference?

The Flatline is nice for range, not so much for accuracy. I shot it for a while long ago, and that was my biggest problem with it, I couldn't consistently hit a 8" target at 30 feet. When all you have to shoot at is a hopper or something like that, those shots become extremely important. The nice thing about the Apex is you can turn it off, so its kinda the best of both worlds to some people. Personally I prefer a smooth bore barrel, be it a 1, 2 or 3 piece system. I like knowing that my paint is going to do the same thing everytime... more or less. My recommendation for a cheap, good one piece barrel would be either a LAPCO Bigshot or a J&J Ceramic. Both companies are fantastic, and their barrels are top notch.

4. My A5 came with a JCS folding stock. It seems really easy to work on, so I'd like to do something to it to make aiming with a mask easier. Suggestions?

Practice. That's honestly the best way to get better, aiming or not... Once you build up muscle memory with a particular marker, aiming and shooting will become second nature and you won't even think about it.

Thanks!

Replies in red

Good luck.

Ryan Dupras
-Dealings Feedback-
Proudly Playing For:
Wookie Dicks
Lucha Cabras
nofxkid2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 11:28 PM   #5 (permalink)

I would check to see how old the tank is. You could always buy a new Guerrilla Air tank from ANS for $38ish brand new. That's what I did when I got back into paintball about a year and a half ago.
brianiswong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 04:02 AM   #6 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

1 & 2) Save the money and skip the Pro Connect, and save any money you might spend on that steelie tank you have. Get a used 45/68 Carbon fiber tank from someone here. That will save you some weight and give you more shots per fill and...

4) Put that 45/68 on the back of the gun on the ASA. Get a decent tank cover with a non-slip shoulder stock pad, then ditch the JCS folding stock. The gun will be easy to shoulder and the perfect height to eye/aim right down the barrel.

3) I am a big fan of the Freak Kit barrels. Pick one up used with an A5 back. If you ever get a second gun, or sell the A5, you can keep the inserts and front, and only have to buy one back for the different gun to keep using your kit.

If your aren't a fan of barrel kits, then CP one piece barels are fairly inexpensive and work very well, as are Proto barrels.

MCB Feedback AUTOMAGS.ORG Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by super-cameron View Post
Tom Kaye follows Jason Finne on Twitter.
jason_finnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 04:39 AM   #7 (permalink)
Praise the sun!

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Barrel wise, I agree on either a LAPCO Bigshot or a J&J Ceramic, both are excellent choices if freak barrel kits are off the list. I have shot the original APEX and it isn't worth it in my opinion; there is too much time wasted in game trying to adjust and perfect your curve when you could just get used to how your marker shoots without the worry of adjustment.

Have a nice day!
My YouTube Channel
My Feedback
+12
/ 0 / -0
Spach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 10:07 AM   #8 (permalink)
Phantom Lords

CCM Fan
If you do decide to continue playing with a remote (I'd prefer to ditch the stock and go tank on marker but anyway), I used a pro connect on two markers prior to my migration over to a more speedballish semi auto setup. I have nothing but good things to say about them as far as actual use and customer service. I absolutely love the ease of the pro connect, and I never had one single problem with it. They also come with a full o-ring kit in case you ever do need to service them.

my feedback
Reloadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 08:34 PM   #9 (permalink)

Have the tank serviced by someone that knows what they are doing. I agree with the other posts you can't go wrong with a Lapco bigshot.

Can't say about a proconnect as I have never tried one.

I like a good stock, it anchors your marker and helps you make more consistent shots.
Lizard_13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 01:23 PM   #10 (permalink)

Thanks guys!

It seems like A5 barrels don't really show up in the BST section around here. Is that because they're actually less common?

I'd absolutely get myself a freak kit, but they're something like 3 times the price of a single barrel so I can't really justify it at this point. Something to look into for later though.

I'm definitely sticking with the remote line. I tried out the setup recently and I like it a lot more than tank on gun because then you don't have some huge thing sticking out of the back of the marker unless you want it to be there.
Klokworker is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » New To The Sport