mcarterbrown.com  

New To The Sport Just started playing? Been playing for a while, but you have a question you should have asked years ago? Drop a line, we answer

Old 08-14-2012, 02:23 PM   #11 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Mindless_Chaos

Not sure why you would need a gauge on a pump using CO2, or without a regulator in the first place.

And if you were to use a regulator, you wouldn't want to be using CO2 as you can freeze it up. May not on a pump, but you could, and then they do not work right when the freeze.

Whether its CO2 or HPA, generally your looking at between 800 and 900 psi. HPA tanks have a built in regulator to drop the some odd thousand psi to in the the 800 range. CO2 can fluctuate depending on temp. A warmer tank is going to be slightly more PSI then a cold one. Which is where i believe the term shooting hot came about. When you chrono'd in the morning, with a freshly filled cold tank, and set to leagal, you then play all day and by noon when the tank has less CO2, and it warms up outside, and the tank warms, the pressure in the tank goes up a bit, and the FPS goes up. Some markers a subtle increase in PSI makes a big difference. I may be wrong, but that's what I meant whenever I said a marker was shooting hot back in the day.

So unless you are using some sort of regulator to drop the pressure lower, you changed some springs to make the marker run at a lower pressure, and maybe also controlling the FPS via reg, then I really see no reason to have that gauge on there at all except for decoration. In which case it doesn't matter where it reads, because without a reg, it is always going to be some where around 800 range.

UNLESS you are trying to keep track of how much gas you have. In which case it still doesn't make too much sense either. Because until the co2 in the tank is gone and the internal tank pressure is under 800 you will never see a change, at which point the tank will be very light, and the marker will drop off shots right away, and you will definitely know its empty. By the time you see a change at all, your out.

AND.. with an HPA tank, you should have a HP gauge telling you the tank capacity anyway, and again because the tank is regulated, you will see no change until you are out anyway.

Honestly if you want it for decoration, just leave the one that's on it, on it. Personally on that marker I would take the gauge off of it and plug it. You really don't need it.

If you want to tinker, you could play with springs, and make the marker run at like 300 or lower, and put a regulator on, in which case a gauge make a lot of sense. You would not want to use CO2 at that point.

I have an old school sniper that has low pressure springs, and a reg on it. I set the spring tension in the IVG to a universal spot and change the FPS via the reg. I only use HPA on it. I have a pic of it in my sig.

I have a friend who has a sterling with a gauge running CO2. He purely has it on there just to have it on there. He has destroyed a few gauges using CO2. But he knows its pointless, and he doesn't care. In that case.. its okay!

And lastly, since i am apparently writing a book here...(Sorry) The reason the gauge read whacky was because the co2 froze the element in the gauge and when metal gets cold, it does not flex correctly under pressure and will not read correctly. This can damage the element, but some times when it thaws out it will work fine. Gauges are not usually made for CO2 on markers.

My Feedback
Mindless_Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 05:02 PM   #12 (permalink)
The Man With No Plan

CCM Fan
PBN Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindless_Chaos View Post
Not sure why you would need a gauge on a pump using CO2, or without a regulator in the first place.

And if you were to use a regulator, you wouldn't want to be using CO2 as you can freeze it up. May not on a pump, but you could, and then they do not work right when the freeze.

Whether its CO2 or HPA, generally your looking at between 800 and 900 psi. HPA tanks have a built in regulator to drop the some odd thousand psi to in the the 800 range. CO2 can fluctuate depending on temp. A warmer tank is going to be slightly more PSI then a cold one. Which is where i believe the term shooting hot came about. When you chrono'd in the morning, with a freshly filled cold tank, and set to leagal, you then play all day and by noon when the tank has less CO2, and it warms up outside, and the tank warms, the pressure in the tank goes up a bit, and the FPS goes up. Some markers a subtle increase in PSI makes a big difference. I may be wrong, but that's what I meant whenever I said a marker was shooting hot back in the day.

So unless you are using some sort of regulator to drop the pressure lower, you changed some springs to make the marker run at a lower pressure, and maybe also controlling the FPS via reg, then I really see no reason to have that gauge on there at all except for decoration. In which case it doesn't matter where it reads, because without a reg, it is always going to be some where around 800 range.

UNLESS you are trying to keep track of how much gas you have. In which case it still doesn't make too much sense either. Because until the co2 in the tank is gone and the internal tank pressure is under 800 you will never see a change, at which point the tank will be very light, and the marker will drop off shots right away, and you will definitely know its empty. By the time you see a change at all, your out.

AND.. with an HPA tank, you should have a HP gauge telling you the tank capacity anyway, and again because the tank is regulated, you will see no change until you are out anyway.

Honestly if you want it for decoration, just leave the one that's on it, on it. Personally on that marker I would take the gauge off of it and plug it. You really don't need it.

If you want to tinker, you could play with springs, and make the marker run at like 300 or lower, and put a regulator on, in which case a gauge make a lot of sense. You would not want to use CO2 at that point.

I have an old school sniper that has low pressure springs, and a reg on it. I set the spring tension in the IVG to a universal spot and change the FPS via the reg. I only use HPA on it. I have a pic of it in my sig.

I have a friend who has a sterling with a gauge running CO2. He purely has it on there just to have it on there. He has destroyed a few gauges using CO2. But he knows its pointless, and he doesn't care. In that case.. its okay!

And lastly, since i am apparently writing a book here...(Sorry) The reason the gauge read whacky was because the co2 froze the element in the gauge and when metal gets cold, it does not flex correctly under pressure and will not read correctly. This can damage the element, but some times when it thaws out it will work fine. Gauges are not usually made for CO2 on markers.

on a vertical stock class (vsc) phantom

its unregged 12gms

the gauge will drop below 800 for the last 2-7 shots depending on how its setup.
with the gauge on it, you can dump a nearly dead 12gm before you enter a fire fight....
super_stanchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 07:28 PM   #13 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Mindless_Chaos

I stand corrected to some extent.

I did not take in to account 12g's. In that case I can see it being some what helpful.

Although, When I run a stock marker, 12g's, I know how many shots it will take before it's out. Depending on the marker. I already knew when I was getting to my last shots.

For this thread though.. The OP mentioned tank orings, and switching between CO2 and HPA. So in this case that gauge makes no sense.

My Feedback
Mindless_Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 11:07 PM   #14 (permalink)
Igloo member

nah, I wrecked a tank O-ring, that caused the failure to tho gauge.

when switching to HPA based on the input pressure I'll have a clear indication of my velocity
Eskimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 08:38 AM   #15 (permalink)
Yes, that is a joke ---->

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindless_Chaos View Post
For this thread though.. The OP mentioned tank orings, and switching between CO2 and HPA. So in this case that gauge makes no sense.
You could easily see reg creep on HPA, so not totally makes no sense.
ta2maki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 08:45 AM   #16 (permalink)
King of the OFG

Send a message via MSN to Robertsr

Kilt Fan
What the heck is wrong with an extra gauge here and there. The cool factor alone ought to make it a few inches more accurate.

FEEDBACK
Robertsr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 11:41 AM   #17 (permalink)
MCB Member

Oh yes and everything we do to our individual markers is for purely functional reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightstar View Post
I translated this as: Scenario games are popular with overshooting douchebags raging on cocaine and steroid cocktails while roasting puppies and punching babies. Stay home unless you enjoy impromptu fistfights.
EL17E 76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 04:31 PM   #18 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by super_stanchy View Post
on a vertical stock class (vsc) phantom

its unregged 12gms

the gauge will drop below 800 for the last 2-7 shots depending on how its setup.
with the gauge on it, you can dump a nearly dead 12gm before you enter a fire fight....
I thought stock class players counted their shots.

Speaking of decoration, we had a cocker show up here a year or more back that had brass bezels on the gauges. I always liked those, regardless of how useful they were.
Old 08-17-2012, 07:14 PM   #19 (permalink)
Doesn't care (/◕ヮ◕)/

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider! View Post
I thought stock class players counted their shots.

Dude, some of these stock class guns get like 40 shots off of one 12 gram, do you know how hard it is to count to 40, that's almost like counting to 10 four freaking times.

I don't always play pump, but when I do, I prefer a rotor.....stay agg my friends.
JLuke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 02:15 AM   #20 (permalink)
Paintball Fox

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLuke View Post
Dude, some of these stock class guns get like 40 shots off of one 12 gram, do you know how hard it is to count to 40, that's almost like counting to 10 four freaking times.
Count your reload?
PaintballGear / Ansgear
Feedback
Was sponsored by(2010):
Point Of View Cameras - For your helmet camera needs
Quote:
Originally Posted by destro7976 View Post
Yeah that's the plan. I want to play with it this summer and see if I can develop a relationship with her. Good luck with your sale man.
BenoitOWN is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » New To The Sport