mcarterbrown.com  

New To The Sport Just started playing? Been playing for a while, but you have a question you should have asked years ago? Drop a line, we answer

Old 07-11-2012, 12:07 PM   #11 (permalink)
MCB Member

Playing speedball pump requires a lot of field awareness to go along with a lot of movement. Some days it's going to be very hard to play pump due to the way the rec players turn out and the fields you play on. On little fields with no cooperation, you might as well break out something your willing to take on the whole other team with.

You can play pump front with some backup, but you have to watch the paint (both ways) and know when it's your turn. Otherwise your backup can lose, and you will get pinched. The closer to stock class you play (12gs and stick feeds), the more you have to move in time with your team mates (and their losses). Big feeders and back bottles give you more flexibility to push or anchor a spot.

If it's not fun, save the pump for bigger games and fields. Most any wooded field can be great fun with a pump, with backup or not.
Old 07-11-2012, 02:42 PM   #12 (permalink)
Wookie D*ck

Pump is easiest when targets are close and bunkers are plentiful. Sometimes fields aren't set up that way.
russc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 04:22 PM   #13 (permalink)
Post Whore

learning curve.....yes a big one
but its worth the time to learn!
Arson24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 04:35 PM   #14 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider! View Post

You can play pump front with some backup, but you have to watch the paint (both ways) and know when it's your turn. Otherwise your backup can lose, and you will get pinched. The closer to stock class you play (12gs and stick feeds), the more you have to move in time with your team mates (and their losses). Big feeders and back bottles give you more flexibility to push or anchor a spot.
Can you explain this idea a little more. What does it mean to wait your turn? How does your backup lose if you play out of turn?
jellyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 04:52 PM   #15 (permalink)

Keep at it! I'm still very new to pump myself and I have more days where I'm the bug than where I'm the windshield.

That being said, nothing feels as good as that game when you're on, and start blowing up the semi's with the pump gun.
DevilMayCare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 05:19 PM   #16 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellyghost View Post
Can you explain this idea a little more. What does it mean to wait your turn? How does your backup lose if you play out of turn?
When the paint is coming over your bunker (from an electro), you either need to play the other side or wait until that player changes his focus, probably to your backup or another front man. That's your turn to snap shoot or stay on him until he turns back to you. Don't try to snap into a rope of paint. You need to be taking heat or putting out paint up front. Sucking up a case of paint by yourself is a good deal. If you leave your backup dealing with it alone and he loses, you're probably hanging out in a bad spot. The break in fire may be your turn to move, depending on what the other guy can see.

Look for blind spots on the field.

Do you understand tunnel vision? It's where you get focused on shooting at someone and forget about the other guys. Everyone does it to some extent. You have to avoid that; be the "other guy". A good player can identify a person's attention span and work it against them. I've seen a +300lb player walk down the center of the field and bunker a guy because the left and right sides quit checking the center, focused on their opposites.

Just like there are "lanes" that you can hose down as a kill zone, for a set of positions there are often blind spots and entire alleys to walk down. Single blind spots are only good to keep the opposition out of bunker, and easy to get trapped in. You have to decide if you should wait for a fight, or if you will have to move around to get a line on someone.

Weigh those electro guys. Some like to try run-thrus even though they don't know where you went. They are fun to bait. They peek a lot and tend not to shoot before they take off. If you spot one, have a lane in mind for him.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:58 PM   #17 (permalink)
Ran out of characters.

CCM Fan
I would use some kind of cir system that you don't have to deal with 12 grams. A 7 oz or 3.5oz tank, depending on your setup, would be the way to go in my mind.
How to get around UPS fees
mtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 12:14 AM   #18 (permalink)
MCB Member

I am a proponent of many options when at the field. I tend to play a couple games with my pumps and then when I get lazy toward the end of the day I will switch to a semi. If your haveing a tough time and not having fun get a semi that is extremely reliable and has modern-ish ergonomics. Its a little bit of a crutch but the point is to have fun not be a snob about play style.

I also freak bore
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/a...ml#post2393405

A wise man once said:
"The gap between theory and reality is not as far in theory as it is in reality."
tjd10684 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 04:34 PM   #19 (permalink)
Paintball Magnet

This is a great thread! Very encouraging me! I've started playing more pump. It's good to hear there are others who feel more like the bug than the windshield.

But it is true, just keep playing and trying. I've seen improvement in my game. Just keep playing, the learning curve is steep, but the rewards are great.
Dawntreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 05:09 PM   #20 (permalink)
MCB Member

One advantage you have against aggsters and renters is that they often don't know what pump play is like. They have never worried about limited air and ammo and having to reload beyond stuffing a pod in their loader while firing. They often don't take advantage of your delays, or will come at you just because you quit firing.

Playing against pump-experienced players armed with semis is where you need help or at least be able to maneuver (i.e. run circles around them).

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » New To The Sport