mcarterbrown.com

New To The Sport Just started playing? Been playing for a while, but you have a question you should have asked years ago? Drop a line, we answer

Old 07-15-2012, 03:34 PM   #31 (permalink)
Yes, that is a joke ---->

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye20 View Post
Hmm. That would have annoyed me a little. When someone is shot, they are supposed to stand up, stick their hands/gun in the air, and yell that they're shot... I woulda automatically assumed it was a bounce and probably would've shot them again lol
Well you shouldn't play with me, I guess. I never do that. I only yell out if its a bounce. I might call back 'nice shot' if they particularly got a good shot through. I usually stop playing, gather my things and walk off. If I get a stream of paint thrown my way or see people aiming at me, I'll raise my hand to show that I'm not in the game, but that's it.

Besides, yelling out you are shot would violate the 'dead men don't talk' rule.
ta2maki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 05:16 PM   #32 (permalink)
Sorry, that's classified.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ta2maki View Post
Well you shouldn't play with me, I guess. I never do that. I only yell out if its a bounce. I might call back 'nice shot' if they particularly got a good shot through. I usually stop playing, gather my things and walk off. If I get a stream of paint thrown my way or see people aiming at me, I'll raise my hand to show that I'm not in the game, but that's it.

Someone shot me in the throat from 10 feet away at jungle island. I felt the death scene coming on but walked off instead.

For sale!--->Polished clear and pink Luxe 2.0, TiPX (to be posted...), Works project (to be posted...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by matteekay View Post
Shoulda Gone to Bacci.
Donut SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 07:15 PM   #33 (permalink)

I've owned literally dozens of guns over the years and right now my go-to gun is my VSC Phantom.
If I'm shooting something else, it's usually because I've said to myself "Well I haven't shot this in a while. Gotta use something besides the Phantom to justify owning more than one gun."
I've often wish I had bought this gun much sooner in my paintball career I can definitely understand your frustration with the pump learning curve.

Two pieces of advice I'd offer:

I'm assuming that you're the only pump player in a sea of semi players, and that you're playing mixed pick-up games with whoever's at the field. If that's so, the most valuable thing you can do to help your team is to get as far up the field as possible off the break and then hunker down. Your goal isn't necessarily to shoot any opponents- but your presence is going to make them panic and play in more aggressive ways that will allow your teammates to shoot them out.

Also, practice, practice, practice your snap shooting skills. Against semi players on an airball field, that's the only aspect of the game where you're on even terms. If you're not doing this on your knees and from behind a barrel or something your practice won't be as effective.

Paintball Tips & Tactics : How to Practice Snapshooting in Paintball - YouTube&fs=1" width="644" height="390">Paintball Tips & Tactics : How to Practice Snapshooting in Paintball - YouTube&fs=1" />Paintball Tips & Tactics : How to Practice Snapshooting in Paintball - YouTube">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Paintball Tips & Tactics : How to Practice Snapshooting in Paintball - YouTube
The Inflicted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 09:49 PM   #34 (permalink)
Predatory Bird Oculus

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ta2maki View Post

My field requires in the rules that you call that you're out if you've been hit. I guess it's not the same everywhere.

Hawkeye20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:22 AM   #35 (permalink)
Power Lurker

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
If that's so, the most valuable thing you can do to help your team is to get as far up the field as possible off the break and then hunker down. Your goal isn't necessarily to shoot any opponents- but your presence is going to make them panic and play in more aggressive ways that will allow your teammates to shoot them out.
This is great advice.

I play pump most of the time and I always feel that if I have 2 people shooting at me then I am doing my job. Just staying alive and keeping people nervous helps your team a ton. If they stop looking at you then you move and shoot a guy.

I used to play on a 3 man team with 1 pump guy. His job was to not die, and to get the flag. If he shot someone, bonus. But mostly he just just kept the opposing teams attention while we mopped them up.

Old PBN Feedback
hellion360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 10:40 AM   #36 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Hmm. That would have annoyed me a little. When someone is shot, they are supposed to stand up, stick their hands/gun in the air, and yell that they're shot... I woulda automatically assumed it was a bounce and probably would've shot them again lol
We played some indoor reball yesterday in an office building. I had to stick to my SC feed pump because of the low velocity (that was an oops), but aside from my son and I, it was an electro farm. "Trips" got hit in the hand and put on a good show. Considering all of the ricochets and no marks, the show was fun and actually helpful in that environment.

FYI, dropping straight down without saying anything is not a good show. That happens for real sometimes. You have to put some energy into it.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:46 AM   #37 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to panhead4411

Quote:
My field requires in the rules that you call that you're out if you've been hit. I guess it's not the same everywhere.
As do most fields i've ever played at...but honestly, the visual references are what clue me in first, as if there is any amount of action on the field, hearing someone say 'out' while still behind a bunker...the sound doesn't propagate very well in my direction.

Usually it is the hand up, or 'death scene' that tell me i've made the hit. If they stop any form of normal play, i stop shooting.

On to play style. Someone said trigger control...100% this. I have played pump, but find there are just too many situations (typically woodsball/scenario) when i need to operate the marker w/ a single hand b/c the other is holding me up or helping me move quietly (crawling). But i've always played the limited paint game, now i have my own homemade 40/50/60 rnd hoppers and even a ghetto stock class feed. But i play Semi, using it like a pump, single shots, lots of maneuvering.

Reiterating something already mentioned...the power of just a single passing ball to prevent someone from even looking out one side of a bunker is HUGE! Just the fact that they know someone can shoot at them sometimes stops them from even peeking for short periods of time. And then there are the nice times those 'warning' shots actually connect.
panhead4411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 04:04 PM   #38 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chem Daddy View Post
4 games and you're starting pump? That's hardcore... took me 3 years before I ventured into pump paintball! LOL
Darn kids now a days! When I first started playing, that is all we had to play with!!! That and 10 round pistols!
elraido is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » New To The Sport