mcarterbrown.com  

New To The Sport Just started playing? Been playing for a while, but you have a question you should have asked years ago? Drop a line, we answer

Old 07-11-2012, 12:53 AM   #1 (permalink)
MCB Member

Rough Start and Gun Maintenance

Experience: I have played paintball 4 times.

While reading many of the eloquent writers for Mcarterbrown and watching cockerpunk's video blog, I became enamored with the CCI phantom. I just got back from playing speedball with it. Didn't go so well...

I have read all of the tips, but gun fights with semis are not much fun right now. What is the learning curve like? Is playing pump against semis always a situation that demands divine help? By nature, I am an agressive player that likes to move, but I really froze up when my pump was supposed to be the agressor against semis. There wasn't any way to do rambo-style fire and charge maneuvers. What should I expect? I will be at the mcarterbrown meetup in Kansas City this Saturday.

In addition, I have a tippman 98 loaner and a CCI phantom. How should I maintain these guns? Is there an explanation somewhere about oiling certain parts or some other necessary maintenance?

Would you suggest a stock for the phantom, and if so, is there a particular one that is better?
thank you in advance.
jellyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 01:22 AM   #2 (permalink)
Furries are EVERYWHERE :3

there's a huge learning curve when it comes to playing pump, but starting with a pump so early in your "career" will help you be a better player down the road

As nice as it is to be able to move with such a lightweight gun, you need to get used to it slowly
I would start as a mid player, get used to where the ball will land
it'll also help you develop your snap shooting without the pressure of a semi-auto gun fight

the main thing to remember about playing pump is not to be a run-and-gun type player, or try to win firefights with skill or luck alone, but flank the other players and take them by surprise

EDIT: 2 quick questions
how do you have your phantom set up
and where are you located
just wondering :P
Old 07-11-2012, 01:30 AM   #3 (permalink)
The Man With No Plan

CCM Fan
PBN Fan
learning curve? hell yes.

your gonna get shot, especially fightin them electros.

BUT if you can over come that, and fight through it, you'll be better, you'll learn to snap shoot much better than a semi, take your shots, but dont just waste your paint, make your shots count, get closer if you have to, be stupidly aggressive if your runnin a light setup, use it to your advantage, if your playing speedball, if you get shot, get off the field, reload, get back in line and get on the field again, its not going to come overnight

i played pump only, every friday night, against electros, and got blasted often, but you'll figure it out, your going to get better, life will be great!

dont start the fights, just finish them

as for tech/maintenance....
grab a cci spring/seal kit, keep it in your bag
add a couple drops of marker/air tool oil in your asa every week, gas it up and you'll be good
super_stanchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 02:04 AM   #4 (permalink)
MCB Member

Thanks for the tech maintenance advice. Sounds easy. The guy who sold me the gun fortunately gave me a spring kit and some seals.

Phantom setup:
I was using 12 grams tonight, and the marker has a ghost sight with a 50 round feed. I have detent rings, but I don't think I used them correctly. Just sized the ring and replaced it when I got home.
A 4oz tank is on order, and I hope that will make life a little better.
jellyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 03:42 AM   #5 (permalink)
(V) (o,,,o) (V) WOOP WOOP

Just remember you dont HAVE to be in the thick of it to be productive and helpful. Someone who has really gotten to know a marker can make shots that other players simply cannot. Lobbing that shot can be the difference between taking someone out or making them think twice about trying to come out and suppress friendlies closer to them.

This is the tenth line of my signature
foughtwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 03:45 AM   #6 (permalink)
Yes, that is a joke ---->

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
You've played 4 times and you already have 2 guns. That's a great McB start.
ta2maki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 10:06 AM   #7 (permalink)
The Man With No Plan

CCM Fan
PBN Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ta2maki View Post
You've played 4 times and you already have 2 guns. That's a great McB start.
lol i was thinkin about that too... just wait til you get up to the 20's... IT WILL HAPPEN hahaha

detent rings, use a size smaller than the paint, that way the balls dont roll out of the barrel

another solution to rollouts is.... Freak Inserts, I can bore your barrel to take a freak insert, and if you underbore (use an insert slightly under the average paint size in your bag of paint, it will increase your consistency and eliminate rollouts!)
super_stanchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 11:01 AM   #8 (permalink)
Stock Class vs Agglets!!!

Yeah, I second the freak boring option. It's a great thing for a Phantom.

Secondly, there it totally gonna be a huge learning curve to playing pump against semis. In woodball, I can easily compete against semis, and in many cases, I do better. That's because the play style I've developed by playing pump is VERY good for flanking opponents, and sneaking up on them.

On the hyperball field, I find playing the snake is the best position for a pump player - you don't need that much paint to sneak up the dorito side players with electros.
LibertyRadeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 12:18 PM   #9 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Don't feel bad. I suck at pump vs electos and will often get lit up... bad... Hang in there. Its a challenge and that's what makes it fun.
"I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious."
-Vince Lombardi

Here's my feedback thread: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
TrueTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 12:51 PM   #10 (permalink)
Post Whore

CCM Fan
Where are you located? Maybe you could meet up with someone on here. It is much more fun if there is another pump player at the field.
brew52 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » New To The Sport