mcarterbrown.com  

New To The Sport Just started playing? Been playing for a while, but you have a question you should have asked years ago? Drop a line, we answer

Old 09-03-2012, 03:37 PM   #51 (permalink)
Post Whore

Why would you need a demo guy or an engineer? Etc etc
Aka "wagz" on the field
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Keebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 04:24 PM   #52 (permalink)
Formerly DeTrevni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keebler View Post
To blow up objective structures, to repair objective structures, etc. etc. C'mon man. At first I was all "to each their own," but you're really grasping at straws here, and as an actual scenario player, I feel you are really misrepresenting the "genre."

Edit: I feel I should expound on my post. It seems what you are describing playing is "big games," which Harb mentioned. Big games are long lasting games with very simple objectives, and usually just a casual story line. Army A is fighting Army B, for example, and you have to take and hold more objectives by the end of the game. This is more shooting, and the only real story development is Army A is taking more land/objectives than Army B or what have you. I love big games as well as scenario, but an actual scenario game is far more developed.

Most of my experience comes from Viper games, so I'll outline what I know about a Viper-produced game (which is loads of fun, and if you get a chance to participate in one, do it). Firstly, Viper comes up with a story line, usually something fun and silly, i.e. his famous Monty Python and the Holy Grail games. He then calls for volunteers to play as NPC's, or neutral player characters, who's point within the game is to add scoring, create bonus objectives (or main objectives), interact with the players, and just in general further the story. That would be "The Knights Who Say 'Ni,'" "The Black Knight," "The Temptresses of Castle Anthrax," etc. These guys are who you are negatively referring to as "LARPers," but they are a vital point of the game. Players who interact with them properly get additional points, hints and tips on reaching the next objective, and other such bonuses. If you do it wrong, they can misguide you, or just simply shoot you. They add a level of depth and intrigue to the game.

The ref squad is briefed and familiarized with the story, NPC's, and objectives. In some cases, the refs can be NPC's themselves, or serve the same purpose. Refs are the working gears that make the scenario machine run. They allow the roles such as demo guy, engineer, sniper, etc. to actually be a functioning and effective role within the game for the average player. There will be a ref at each objective, and he will be able to sign off on demo cards, stating the objective has been destroyed (or repaired), or a target has been sniped, or whatever. That, and they maintain order within the game. It's hard to keep stability within a 300+ player game, as well as to keep the story moving.

I've done all the roles above, from NPC (though admittedly, my role wasn't major), to ref, to casual player. I don't want to attack you, Keebler, but I feel you are attacking what I do and enjoy, so if you'd like me to clarify on why I do something, or what something entails, I'll gladly answer it for the sake of clarification.

Last edited by Magoo; 09-03-2012 at 05:29 PM.
Magoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 06:05 PM   #53 (permalink)
Post Whore

Does he actually blow up buildings or do I have to pretend the building is.blown up. Of course I already know the answer to that and have played scenario which this happens . I'm all fine who to each his own . But I just don't participate in pretending. My thing is if the building is blown up how come its still blocking my line of sight? Because its still there. I don't think we should try to do things that we can't actually recreate with what we have at our disposal
Aka "wagz" on the field
Old 09-05-2012, 11:59 AM   #54 (permalink)
Disposable Assassin

Send a message via MSN to Harbinger[TG]

Fan of EMR
Quote:
And you just proved my point. Pure ignorance.

Quote:
Does he actually blow up buildings or do I have to pretend the building is.blown up. Of course I already know the answer to that and have played scenario which this happens . I'm all fine who to each his own . But I just don't participate in pretending. My thing is if the building is blown up how come its still blocking my line of sight? Because its still there. I don't think we should try to do things that we can't actually recreate with what we have at our disposal
You should maybe quit while you are behind. You have freely admitted to not knowing what actually happens in a scenario. Therefore, your ignorant comments are just that, ignorant.

So while you are allegedly preaching, "to each, his own" you keep posting utter stupidity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magoo View Post
To blow up objective structures, to repair objective structures, etc. etc. C'mon man. At first I was all "to each their own," but you're really grasping at straws here, and as an actual scenario player, I feel you are really misrepresenting the "genre."

I've done all the roles above, from NPC (though admittedly, my role wasn't major), to ref, to casual player. I don't want to attack you, Keebler, but I feel you are attacking what I do and enjoy, so if you'd like me to clarify on why I do something, or what something entails, I'll gladly answer it for the sake of clarification.
It is clear he has no actual understanding of what a scenario is or entails. But instead of taking this as a learning moment, he continues to spew ignorance. It is almost as if he is just trolling. He obviously doesn't like what the realsim guys are about, which I get. But he obviously has some fundamental lack of understanding of scenario. If someone doesn't actually know the subject matter, they usually keep quiet.

And I do agree that he is doing a disservice to the scenario format and players. But I do have to wonder if he actually knows the difference between a scenario, big game, and scenario light. As I also wonder if he thinks he has participated in an actual scenario versus a big game marketed as a scenario.

Last edited by Harbinger[TG]; 09-05-2012 at 12:05 PM.
Harbinger[TG] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 12:17 PM   #55 (permalink)
Spinnygunner

AKA Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
My thing is if the building is blown up how come its still blocking my line of sight? Because its still there.
Paintballs also don't incapacitate you. Maybe you'd prefer the opposing team swaps them out for less-lethal rounds?
matteekay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 12:46 PM   #56 (permalink)
Post Whore

I do enjoy scenarios and big games and milsim. I just choose not to role play during them. I play the gamr and attempt to accomplish missions when i can. But im not going to cosplay or roleplay. Im not saying these things should be removed. Thats what i mean tobeach his own. Im fine with otger people enjoying them just dont expect me too. Im not even making fun of anyone who does these things. Im just saying its not my thing
Aka "wagz" on the field
Old 09-05-2012, 01:09 PM   #57 (permalink)
Paintball Ballistician :P

As to the original point (not necessarily the original post), I agree that realsim is a misnomer.

I would strictly call it Team-Limited Paint Woodsball (since you mentioned it would be outlaw, I assume it will be in the woods).

The problem is that it is not unlike other formats of paintball (i.e. limited paint) to get enough people to adopt it as a distinct format of it's own. Hell, we (the paintball community) have enough disagreements about other, well-established forms of paintball.

For example, and this is relevant to a lot of the rest of this thread:

"Mil-Sim" is used in two contexts. A lot of folks use the term mil-sim to describe players and equipment (i.e. "Look at the mil-sim guy in his ACUs and his TM-15") while others are a bit more strict in that it describes a game format: (limited paint, mag fed or tac cap requirement, rules for medics, arm/leg hits vs head torso hits, etc). One interesting thing I've seen is that the usage / interpretation aligns fairly closely to the US / Canadian border. Down here, most folks that are interested in playing a Mil-sim game will most likely be using airsoft equipment. Up in Canada, they're usually using paintball equipment (due to legal requirements pertaining to airsoft).

Scenario Vs Big Game. A scenario historically meant, the acting out of a storyline (could be military, science fiction, fantasy, etc - based) while a big game was just that- a big, two sided game. Scenarios and Big games may have rules in common (i.e. Medics), but, a scenario will have rules that simply would not work in a simple, large format game (i.e. a third side with insertions anywhere along the length of the field). Unfortunately, a very large number of players/producers, use the terms interchangably and from my perspective (as a player), it seems to be causing some producers a fair amount of headaches. In my opinion, Viper gets a fair amount of flack because even though he promotes his events as Scenario Paintball games, a lot of folks read that as "big game" and get butt-hurt when they lose on points, or get severely impeded by the third side because they just went to guns with them, and didn't even try negotiating.
Originally Posted by Tom Kaye -in response to FS price critics
Unfortunately all of you have played the one "speedball" game of paintball for so long you can't conceive of other ways to do this and hence any new ideas seem stupid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Death View Post
First strike rounds punish lazy people. Don't be lazy and you won't have problems with first strikes.
uv_halo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 11:17 AM   #58 (permalink)
I drink and I know things

Send a message via MSN to Falcon16 Send a message via Skype™ to Falcon16

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magoo View Post
Not sure if srs. Have you ever attended a Viper scenario? They utilize props, role playing, and NPC's and are loads of fun.

Viper scenarios ARE all that and a bag of chips . CC2 the countdown is ON!

Feedback +38/-0
Click here to email me
My youtube channel
Click here to pay me via Paypal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApoC_101 View Post
Pump paintball is cheaper than any drug habit I've ever heard of.
Falcon16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 11:28 AM   #59 (permalink)
It's All In The Reflexes.

Send a message via AIM to Crimson Death

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Viper scenarios are a dumbed down version of what scenarios used to be. I'm not knocking Viper at all either.
Crimson Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 11:44 AM   #60 (permalink)
I drink and I know things

Send a message via MSN to Falcon16 Send a message via Skype™ to Falcon16

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
I realize scenario back in the day used to be what paintball was. I've played some crazy scenario games before that were bigger than Viper's with more NPC's more missions etc. However I found Viper to be the most organized of all the guys I've played under who organized scenarios. I just hope CC becomes Canada's LL

Feedback +38/-0
Click here to email me
My youtube channel
Click here to pay me via Paypal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApoC_101 View Post
Pump paintball is cheaper than any drug habit I've ever heard of.
Falcon16 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » New To The Sport