mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   New To The Sport (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/new-sport/)
-   -   Back in after 12 years! (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/new-sport/212703-back-after-12-years.html)

Melvin 09-04-2012 04:55 PM

Back in after 12 years!

I was doing some pre-packing (packing unimportant stuff a while before you move) and found my old pgp (cartridge valve) wrapped in a shop rag at the bottom of a duffle bag.
I found my tools, and did a quick teardown, everything seemed ok but after airing it up i could hear a leak down the barrel. So im ordering the rebuild kit from palmers and working over the body pretty soon.

When my wife saw what i was doing, she expressed interest in playing, which made me lose focus and i ended up shooting the safety spring somewhere across the room!
I asked her if she wanted a mechanical or electro semi to start with, and she said that would feel like cheatery, so we needed to find her a nice pump!

So, after i regroup some equipment, I'll be sure to post some pics of the markers and try to get some on field photos too (photography is her hobby, I mess around a little with it)

Something worth mentioning, I have been lurking here for a little bit, I never said anything before, because none of it seemed useful and all the questions I would ask, have been answered already. Hopefully soon, I'll actually have stuff to contribute.

James_Blond 09-04-2012 05:10 PM

I would recommend a good mech to start with. Easier learning curve than a pump, but hey pumps are great too. Pump can also help you learn to pick your shots and move more which carries over well when you have a semi. Anyways have yourself some fun times.

Cool, bringing the wife is fun. I've only been able to get mine out once with me this summer. Unfortunately, business has kept her from joining me again. Need to get her out a few more times where she actually gets the feel of it and can start to enjoy it more.

russc 09-04-2012 05:18 PM

A right feed classic valved automag with a 50 round hopper and 13ci is my go-to Newbie rig. They are dirt cheap . I'm talking like $100-125 for the gun, $50 for the tank and $5-10 for the hopper/elbow. They are insanely high quality, and used to be considered mid to high level guns. The small tank and hopper teach fire discipline in the same way a pump does, and are super light weight, even compared to the latest and greatest tournament setups.

That's really awesome that she wants to play pump though. An empire trracer with bottomline kit or phantom would make a good first gun, too.

Melvin 09-04-2012 11:09 PM

I did ask her if she was sure about starting with a pump, explaining a semi would be better for getting into the game, and she told about how she played once in high school at a friends party, she said tried both the field's rental pump and semi and ended up liking the pump more because it "made her feel like a bad ***" and then she added "besides, it only takes one hit to get 'em out right?"

I'm still going to pick up a cheaper semi just to have down the road as a loaner or a backup if I end up at some tiny indoor field.

Something from AGD would be just fantastic, I used to have an old powerfeed body mag and a spider clone called a "scorpion". Traded the scorpion for the pgp and ended up selling off the mag towards the end, I couldnt find anyone who wanted the pgp so i wrapped it up and forgot about it for 12 years.

(We're newly relocated, and as of yet still need to find others to play with, hoping for some outlaw woodsball within a reasonable distance)

According to the internet, the closest actual field is a good 20 miles from us and since we bike everywhere for now, its not feasible as interstate travel is apparently required.

Marathon 09-05-2012 09:34 AM

Welcome to MCB. I also took a long vacation from Paintball. I was a little disappointed with the AGG/speedball culture, but I found MCB and life is better now.

One thing I would invest in is new goggles. Not "new" used goggles, brand new in box goggles. Any safety equipment you have had in storage for over a decade is questionable at best. If you like the JT spectra line, ANS Gear sells them as a build your own package for $65 plus shipping.

Good luck and watch your wallet, all the old guns a rock bottom prices can be hard on your wallet. :p

Melvin 09-05-2012 01:58 PM

Oh yeah new goggles for sure. We've both been looking at the sly profits REAL hard. We both wear glasses and these seem like they would be a nice fit. She likes the fact they remind her of a space helmet from cowboy bebop, I just like the pink frame:p

I was going to rebuild a set of old whippersnappers with new spectra parts for myself purely for the fun of it, but then i saw this on i&isports,

GXG XVSN Goggle System OLIVE OD - I&I Sports

I figured once i get back into the swing of things, it would be fun to show up at a field with a pgp and a mask that looks like I dug it out of an abandoned shed.

Back in the day, doing that would create two possible reactions, either people start snickering, or start panicking. I just want to see what happens nowadays.

808Jackal 09-12-2012 04:21 AM

Awesome! My wife plays stock class with my team. Pump all the way! BTW beware cause she will eventually start encroaching on your gear if she likes it. No really, my wife took the brand new phantom I got custom anoed from mike 1 of 1... I have never shot it to this day.

If you are are looking for a mag lemme know. I have one sitting in my closet. I wanted to turn it into one like Russc's but I am neck deep in two phantom builds and teetering on getting an R7...

Melvin 09-12-2012 05:18 AM

Ha! I think my style of play will keep her from messing with my stuff too much. I like small and compact and she likes shoulder stocks, so the shiny trracer from yamess should keep her distracted.

I also need to figure out this whippersnapper mess. Do I put a new lens in old frames or do I put an old faceplate on new frames? What sort of mods (if any) do I need to make this work?

Still searching here, no definite reults so far. I'm also really starting to like the mesh faceplate too, how do those hold up to repeated direct hits from overzealous rednecks standing 30 feet or closer?

elraido 09-12-2012 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James_Blond (Post 2464562)
I would recommend a good mech to start with. Easier learning curve than a pump, but hey pumps are great too. Pump can also help you learn to pick your shots and move more which carries over well when you have a semi. Anyways have yourself some fun times.

Cool, bringing the wife is fun. I've only been able to get mine out once with me this summer. Unfortunately, business has kept her from joining me again. Need to get her out a few more times where she actually gets the feel of it and can start to enjoy it more.

Back in my day, all we had were pumps to learn on! :old:

russc 09-12-2012 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Melvin (Post 2472294)
Ha! I think my style of play will keep her from messing with my stuff too much. I like small and compact and she likes shoulder stocks, so the shiny trracer from yamess should keep her distracted.

I also need to figure out this whippersnapper mess. Do I put a new lens in old frames or do I put an old faceplate on new frames? What sort of mods (if any) do I need to make this work?

Still searching here, no definite reults so far. I'm also really starting to like the mesh faceplate too, how do those hold up to repeated direct hits from overzealous rednecks standing 30 feet or closer?

I like my mesh faceplate's breathability, but you WILL eat a ton of paint when it gets hit. With cheaper paint, this can mean you get little red marks on your face from shell debris coming through. I think the tradeoff is worth it, but it isn't for everyone.

As for your Snappers, JT Elite thermal lenses will fit without modification.