mcarterbrown.com  

New To The Sport Just started playing? Been playing for a while, but you have a question you should have asked years ago? Drop a line, we answer

Old 09-17-2012, 07:30 PM   #1 (permalink)

Pump on the Airball Field?

Hello all,

I am getting more into the tournament/speedball side of paintball now. There is tournament practice at my local field every Sunday. I have an Etha, but am just more comfortable shooting a pump. Also, I don't necessarily have the money to pay for all the paint I would use shooting semi. My question is: is it common for pumpers to go out and play on the electronic marker dominated airball field? My field is capped at 10 bps semi, but still, I am a little intimidated to go out there.

I just want to hear from some pumpers what you think. The pump I would be using does have A/T, so that is a plus if I need a higher rate of fire. Thanks for your advice and help!
BassDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
Red

CCM Fan
Just play like always - you will be fine.

1) Never go toe to toe with an electro.
2) Let them forget about you - and kill.
3) Rely on your snap shooting skills - then you can kill - if you can't - GET BETTER.
4) Never come out of the same spot too many times - play all edges of the bunker (except the top - and even that can be played now and again).
5) Don't think your AT makes you an electro - it doesn't. Shoot lanes with it off the break - and shoot people in the open with it - other than that - forget it.

You will get it.

TF

TF's MCB Trust.
Talfuchre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:31 PM   #3 (permalink)

Ok, you're mentally going after this the wrong way. Forget rate of fire, pretend it doesn't exist. Go out there with a pump because you want to, not because you have to. I've always preached to shoot what matches YOU, pick a marker that fits your playstyle and that calls to you. Conform the game to how you play it, and if you're being drawn to a pump, then go with it.

Then there's the confidence side. Any of the old timers here who know me (and yes, it's me, even if I haven't posted here in 5 years or so and my account still says 'Newbie' from 2008), they know I'm not an arrogant prick. But I always walked on that field knowing I could dominate anybody out there. Not because I had the talent, or the equipment, but because I had already won the mental game. This gave me the freedom to do things that were, quite frankly, barkingly insane. The result was a tall guy playing absurdly aggressive with a stock class phantom, usually up on the point, and controlling the tempo of the game. So I'll tell you from experience that you can make it work, and it can work well beyond the local level too.

Now, for the technical side. No, you can't SHOOT as fast. But you're also not encumbered by the case of paint hanging off your lower back, a huge hopper and a bulky air tank. Those are the compromises and the weak points of playing an ROF game, it's heavy and bulky. What that means is you're able to move faster. You can twist your torso faster, you can snapshoot faster, you can swap sides in a bunker faster, and you can run faster too. Particularly if you go stock-class and dump another few pounds of gear.

There's also a myth that pump guns are more accurate. Well, forget that myth. Pump guns aren't more accurate, pump players just focus more on accuracy. When you've only got a stack of 10 every shot counts, so you naturally gravitate toward being more careful with your shots. You're subconsiously forcing yourself in that direction, and over time your accuracy develops to match. Then people notice that the 'pump guy' is hitting tiny little targets, and automatically blame the gun. As a caveat though, this works best if you stick to a single gun. Switch around a lot, and your accuracy suffers.

So yeah, go for it. I'll also give you one last reason that you should.

It's fun as hell, and that's the whole point, isn't it?
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
Sic Itur Ad Astra

Send a message via MSN to Falcon16 Send a message via Skype™ to Falcon16

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
pump in an airball or any sort of speedball type setting (hyperball or any other tight setup that lends itself to fast play) is way too much fun. What you'll find especially if you can play a speedball game with other pumpers is it's even harder playing against pumpers than electros as nobody sits in the back and shoots lanes everyone moves and gets angles. With that said as has been stated play to your strengths (lower weight,faster to your bunker, can switch sides and snapshoot without exposing yourself etc) and don't play to their's ie don't post up it's pointless if you don't have a paint hose you'll get jacked up.

Feedback +31/-0
Click here to email me
My youtube channel
My downsizing/cleaning house sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApoC_101 View Post
Pump paintball is cheaper than any drug habit I've ever heard of.
Falcon16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:32 AM   #5 (permalink)
Radical!

Heck, even if you DON'T do well, you still get mad respect. I get refs rooting for me & everything just by using a pump, regardless of what i do with it.
nerdcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:02 AM   #6 (permalink)
MCB Member

There are pump tournaments as well. If you can find the players, you can start your own practice. You need the dedicated group of team players and some good but un-dedicated players to play against on occasion.
Old 09-18-2012, 11:03 AM   #7 (permalink)
Doesn't care (/◕ヮ◕)/

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
yea, playing pump, lean more towards taking shots a the foot sticking out or the person playing wide, no use trying to snap fight with someone where your one ball is countered by their stream of 100.

One of the reasons i enjoy pump is the fact that it's easier for some reason to play against people's inattentiveness. Give them a good 20-30 seconds and they'll forget about yout and focus on someone else, gives you easy movement to bump up to a better angle or just flat out get behind them. The field i'm at now, I always get kinda lauged at by how prety much dont bother running, just walk from bunker to bunker and still get behind people. reason pump is hard for me now, is most of the players here are getting experienced, less tunnel vision, less chances to move up.

I don't always play pump, but when I do, I prefer a rotor.....stay agg my friends.
JLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:17 AM   #8 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talfuchre View Post
Just play like always - you will be fine.

1) Never go toe to toe with an electro.
2) Let them forget about you - and kill.
3) Rely on your snap shooting skills - then you can kill - if you can't - GET BETTER.
4) Never come out of the same spot too many times - play all edges of the bunker (except the top - and even that can be played now and again).
5) Don't think your AT makes you an electro - it doesn't. Shoot lanes with it off the break - and shoot people in the open with it - other than that - forget it.

You will get it.

TF
I agree with all of this. In fact basically all that can be applied to woods as well

I double agree with falcon as well. Thats one reason i prefer mixed gun games over pumpers. Pumpers are scary. Ive grown accustomed to coping ROF so much so that if i were to go to an all pump game i thinkbit would flip my strategy on its head
Aka "wagz" on the field
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html

Last edited by Keebler; 09-18-2012 at 11:26 AM.
Keebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 12:58 PM   #9 (permalink)
Straight Up

CCM Fan
I agree with what is being said as well. Pump on an air ball field can be a blast. However if you do ever want to use your Etha and feel more comfortable with it try making it feel like your pump. I for example use the same tank on both my S6.5 and my Ego11, and I hold the ego like it has a pump handle. Yes my friends make fun of me, but it makes me be able to shoot the ego sooooo much better because it feels a lot more like my pump does

just something to try. but like it has been said don't be afraid to take your pump out there, its just paintball, have fun playing how you want
Had: CCM S6.5, Etha, Sterling STP, ANS GX-3 'Cocker, PPS Super Stocker PP425, Dye era Carter Buzzard, Black T8.1, ULE RT pro 'mag, Ego 11, CCM T2, Silver T8.1, CCM'd blue WGP Sniper II, Black WGP Sniper II, DRV #106, AGD Sydarm, PTP Grey Gen 1 micromag, PTP Wild Iguana Gen 2 micromag, PTP Blue Tiger Gen 2 micromag RT #1, PTP gen 2.5 cool camo micromag RT, PTP FX 'cocker, PTP gen 3 alien ano micromag, PTP tropical jungle micromag 2000 RT, PTP threaded feedneck micromag 2000, PTP gen 2.5 purple nights micromag, PTP 2k9 micromag, PTP gen 2 purple nights micromag, PTP gen 3 blue nights micromag, TiPX, TM7, A5 RT, Camo T8, Phantom, PGP, Classic RT mag, Ion, 2 Tippmann 98c's, and a beat up cocker I found in the woods
feedback+78/-0
Frenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 03:56 PM   #10 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Tracker may jump in here, but I'll beat him to it. This video is in his sig. I was watching when he did this. Pretty freakin' cool. Play how you want, hone your skills, just have fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90ZtlOGgIZ0
xero28 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » New To The Sport