mcarterbrown.com

New To The Sport Just started playing? Been playing for a while, but you have a question you should have asked years ago? Drop a line, we answer

Old 09-24-2012, 09:46 PM   #11 (permalink)
Oh that guy

CCM Fan
you've heard it already but Empire is what you should be looking at.. mid price marker with high end results , owned by a larger company that has the financial backing to support itself
Paintthinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:41 PM   #12 (permalink)

Let's just say you had a $500 budget.

You could either get a new Empire Axe (great gun) or a used Ego7-9 (also great guns). Both have their strengths and weaknesses; but both also have great customer service. That would be my personal recommendation. Bob Long and MacDev both build fine guns as well...but I feel like the customer service of Eclipse is a notch (or two) above. Also...for that same $500 you could get a used Axe and still have enough for a tank and hopper...so food for thought.

However, I also own an A1 Fly and love the gun very much. Customer service is mostly non-existent now...but there's a large enough community, plus fixmyangel and pbsports to provide you with (some) parts.

If you have an unlimited budget...well then, the sky is the limit.
FormulaZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:30 PM   #13 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCM Fan
I would buy a used Mac Dev (Borg or Droid) or PE Ego....
Old 10-01-2012, 08:35 PM   #14 (permalink)
Dr. says it will clear up

CCM Fan
I vote for planet eclipse myself. Had a bad experience with empire's customer service. Eclipse guns are tough, easy to fix, everyone knows them and their cs is awesome. A new etek3 or 4 is an awesome gun. Ego's are sweet too, but pricey. I would rock the vm 68 too, everyonr has an ego, etek, axe or bob long these days. Who has a vm, havn't seen one since 1997
Old 10-01-2012, 10:31 PM   #15 (permalink)
Doesn't work for Avratech

as for Bob Long, made in the USA, the G6R is an outstanding shooter (poppet valve like the Ego) and feels great to use. I'd personally take one of them over an Ego.
ApoC_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:56 AM   #16 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Well, let's just say that my budget is $450 for the gun itself. I've also got to factor in a loader (my old Indian Springs one probably won't cut it for an electro...) and a new mask (old Proteus is falling apart).

The $450 budget eliminates a lot of what we've been talking about.

G6R, All the Macdev recommendations, some versions of the Etek, etc are all >$450.

At the sub-$450 level we've got the Axe, Mini, Etha, Etek 3 LT, Proto Rail and I'm sure a bunch of others that I'm unaware of.
Gigueand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:06 AM   #17 (permalink)
MCB Member

AKA Fan
Are you looking to buy new or used? Big difference in options then.

Jaccen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:21 AM   #18 (permalink)
Newbie++

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigueand View Post
Well, let's just say that my budget is $450 for the gun itself. I've also got to factor in a loader (my old Indian Springs one probably won't cut it for an electro...) and a new mask (old Proteus is falling apart).

The $450 budget eliminates a lot of what we've been talking about.

G6R, All the Macdev recommendations, some versions of the Etek, etc are all >$450.

At the sub-$450 level we've got the Axe, Mini, Etha, Etek 3 LT, Proto Rail and I'm sure a bunch of others that I'm unaware of.
IMO Etek 3 > Axe > Etha > Rail > Mini. Etek 3 over Axe because Etek3 is more efficient than an Axe

My MCB Feedback
noclue119 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:46 AM   #19 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaccen View Post
Are you looking to buy new or used? Big difference in options then.
I wouldn't spurn a newer, used gun like an Etek or Axe. Having had a lot of experience buying and selling used guns, I'd prefer not to buy someone's mis-handled cast-off.

I lean towards buying something brand-spanking new, but wouldn't discount the used market.
Gigueand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:51 PM   #20 (permalink)
Habs fan!

CCM Fan
Buy a used etha or an axe, i pick the etha over the axe mainly because it is eclipse gun and has only been out for a short period of time. Their operation and design is very close to one and another as well. You can pick up a used etha or axe for under $400 but be weary of the axes as i see a lot of abused ones for dirt cheap. Then use the rest to pick up some new spectra frames and a lens for your proteus, a loader and perhaps a new tank as well. (These guns wont use co2 as i would assume you already know). For new loaders you cannot go wrong with any halo 2 that you can find.
Studwiser is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » New To The Sport