mcarterbrown.com  

New To The Sport Just started playing? Been playing for a while, but you have a question you should have asked years ago? Drop a line, we answer

Old 10-19-2012, 12:14 AM   #1 (permalink)

Back into it ... and I am already out. Gear advice

Getting back into the sport after 5-6years off ( was never into big to begin with ). Dusted off my Spyder Pilot and basic gear after all this time and finally put it to use last week for my first session. Went great , had a blast until Wednesday. I am now 30 a bit out of shape and still play like I'm a teenager. Which has ended me up with a very swollen knee after doing a full speed knee slide into concrete floor, which was supposed to be covered in more than 1mm of sand. Now the to the point, I need advice of good protective gear that when I do this dumb stunt again, I won't be down and out for a week. Mainly looking ( I think ) for knee and elbow pad setup with maybe some hip/butt protection for the big slides. Thanks in advance !!
badlybuilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 12:23 AM   #2 (permalink)
Slowly making progress

Cheap vollyball knee pads are what I wear under my PB pants. One of the best gear decisions I have made.

>>> Link to prototype Dust Devil<<<

DT1 Dust Devil want list. Click me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by neftaly View Post
New advertising tagline: "Simon Stevens said that will be totally fine and nothing bad could ever happen. Ever."
Feedback
desertT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 12:24 AM   #3 (permalink)
Ridin' The ShortBus

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
Palmers Fan
I am older than you, don't wear protective anything - just drink a few "aiming juices" to get limber and I'm good - been playing on a broken foot and torn up knee since July...I really SHOULD wear something other than a walmart knee brace to keep it somewhat together lol
The Southern Alberta Pump League TheSAPL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApoC_101 View Post
I'd date a girl with a cocker.
Jebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 01:52 AM   #4 (permalink)
Marq's Man

If you are looking for "paintball" brand protection, try looking at Dye, Empire, or Planet Eclipse's knee pads. All three are widely trusted, but probably more expensive than generic pads.

Dye Paintball Knee Pads
Planet Eclipse Knee Pads
Empire Knee Pads

Algae's B/S/T Feedback:
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Algae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 02:04 AM   #5 (permalink)

CCM Fan
I wear Dye knee pads. I never used anything for years, but like you, I'm now in my 30's and my body isn't as forgiving as it used to be. They're more expensive than generic pads, but they fit well, and work really well.
canuckistani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 06:28 AM   #6 (permalink)
Walking without rhythm

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
I found the padding on many paintball pants to be pretty good. The stuff on the DBD pants I have is awesome.

Normally I hated Knee pads, I always found they slipped or bunched behind my knees and were never comfortable or needed to be so tight they started cutting off blood flow...

But the other day I saw Thickchesthair's kneepads, Valken I think? They were more like knee and shin pads all built into one. They had a strap above the knee and then a part that covered the entire calf. He said he never worries about them slipping.

I might look into something similar. As my knees are often coming home beat to hell.
Stilgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 07:23 AM   #7 (permalink)
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stilgar View Post
But the other day I saw Thickchesthair's kneepads, Valken I think? They were more like knee and shin pads all built into one. They had a strap above the knee and then a part that covered the entire calf. He said he never worries about them slipping.
Yep! Valken Impact shin guards are what I use, and are hands down the best I've ever used. Very comfortable, flex with your knee as you bend, moisture wicking, and don't slip around.

You are going to pay more for them than you would with volley ball pads, but they work much better and will probably last longer. Build quality on them are top notch.

EDIT:. I have no idea what that guy in the review is talking about where he says they slide down past his knee...they would be over your foot if they did. Get the proper size and adjust them correctly and they won't move.

Last edited by ThickChestHair; 10-19-2012 at 07:27 AM.
ThickChestHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 07:41 AM   #8 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlybuilt View Post
I am now 30 a bit out of shape and still play like I'm a teenager. Which has ended me up with a very swollen knee after doing a full speed knee slide into concrete floor.
This sounds really, really, really familiar. I did a similar thing. After a 2-year hiatus, I slid into a bunker made of 55gal steel drums stacked on their sides at full speed about 4 weeks ago. The bursitis is gone, but there's still a lump on my knee cap from a cyst which formed due to the mishap.

I used to wear JT hard-shell kneepads on the outside of my old '01 JT pants, but since I've switched to newer paintball pants, the over-the-pants kneepads don't work anymore. I figured the padding on the pants themselves would be enough, but was obviously wrong. I bought some Empire kneepads from their website Empire Paintball | Paintball Markers, Masks, Paintballs, Protective Gear, Accessories and More which were on sale from being last-year's model. They've got more cushion than the standard volleyball kneepads and are also non-slip water-wicking material. I love the suckers and wear them all the time now. I even used them with shorts the other weekend when I was assembling my dining room table and was doing a lot of kneeling.

I think just about anything is going to give you better protection than just your pants, the question is whether you feel you need just knees, or knee and shin pads, and whether you want name brand (more expensive) or off-brand (less expensive) equipment. As with most protective gear, you get what you pay for. So I stick to the name brands and have them last for years rather than months.

Regardless, as someone who has done a similar thing, definitely get SOMETHING as I'm sure you don't have daily access to a certified athletic trainer at no cost like I do, and rehab for severe bursitis or a torn ligament is no fun and really, really expensive.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:51 AM   #9 (permalink)
Trails Of Doom

I'm 40... and I have punished my body through the years. So I seriously protect my knees when playing, as my style of play I often end up falling on my knees when diving out of the way of paint, or just plain FALLING down...

I wear TWO pairs of knee pads. First off a pair of hammer 2's knee pads under my pants. (these are old school BMX pads that are just two layers of neoprene with velcro straps on the back). Then I have a pair of hammer shin pads that I wear if it is cold outside. As they protect your shins from branches, and rocks, as well as paintball hits.

Here is what they look like, if you can find a set... They sometimes show up on ebay.

Then I wear a pair of velcro attached knee pads that are really padded outside my pants. These have to be put on tight to hold in place, and you want some that have two strips of velcro, and that will bruise the back of your knee from the straps, but the neoprene underneath keeps that from happening.

It works great, and I can fall or dive on my knees without injuring myself.

FreeEnterprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 04:01 PM   #10 (permalink)
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallen702 View Post
I bought some Empire kneepads from their website Empire Paintball | Paintball Markers, Masks, Paintballs, Protective Gear, Accessories and More which were on sale from being last-year's model. They've got more cushion than the standard volleyball kneepads and are also non-slip water-wicking material. I love the suckers and wear them all the time now
From my experience (and the experience of a few friends), the Empire knee pads and elbow pads wear out really quickly. That's one of the big reasons I went with the Valkens. They don't have the external type stitching which gets worn away like on the Empires, and they have a much more durable surface material.

ThickChestHair is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » New To The Sport