mcarterbrown.com  

New To The Sport Just started playing? Been playing for a while, but you have a question you should have asked years ago? Drop a line, we answer

Old 10-26-2012, 08:04 AM   #21 (permalink)
pump snob

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintballedbackin88 View Post
Regarding the long trigger pull on the 99 rf Evo with ccm deluxe pump kit, couldn't you just shorten the hammer lug to release early in the pull?
Or drop a hinge on it, lighten up on the sear spring, pollish and slightly round the hammer lug, pollish the sear face, and THEN shorten the hammer lug until it feels right.

The body style of a sniper has absolutely nothing to do with the trigger travel or pressure required to release the sear.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:20 AM   #22 (permalink)
Post Whore

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
Or drop a hinge on it, lighten up on the sear spring, pollish and slightly round the hammer lug, pollish the sear face, and THEN shorten the hammer lug until it feels right.

The body style of a sniper has absolutely nothing to do with the trigger travel or pressure required to release the sear.
I could have. I think even dropping the hammer lug, the trigger pull would have been long. I like vertical feed. I don't want to be a CCM fan boy, but once I played with my S6, I have played with almost nothing else (took my boys 12, & 10 out to play at the in-laws woods and used a R7).

I think the point is to find what works for you. Love the looks of the older Evol....it was very hard to sell, if I didn't shoot an S6, this would be my go to marker.
Old 10-26-2012, 03:10 PM   #23 (permalink)
blah blah stuff stuff

CCM Fan
Ya I used one of sniper97's S6's and now I'm going to buy it in a week or so

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltaction View Post
I always just assumed it was magic elves. i mean, it's really the only logical explanation, really.
MCB Feedback AO feedback TechPB feedback PBN feedback
DAVID(GEN) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 06:02 PM   #24 (permalink)
Sic Itur Ad Astra

Send a message via MSN to Falcon16 Send a message via Skype™ to Falcon16

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
a great lightweight sniper style marker if you can find one without spending an arm and a leg is the AM-P Illusion. amazing shooter with a surprisingly light pump stroke.

Feedback +35/-0
Click here to email me
My youtube channel
My downsizing/cleaning house sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApoC_101 View Post
Pump paintball is cheaper than any drug habit I've ever heard of.
Falcon16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 08:23 PM   #25 (permalink)

i prefer a sniper over a phantom i have had a phantom and didnt like the weight or the way it felt a cocker just feels right in my hands. i have a free flow millenium with a ccm pump and frame and am working on a 04 prostock half block. i like building my own bc there is nothing like playing with what you put together and i cant afford a ccm right now. im sure some of the wgp bodies and other after market bodies can be i little off but i havent ran into one yet.
nacho8405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 01:16 PM   #26 (permalink)
Yield and Overcome...

CCM Fan
Take it from a guy who owns both CCM and non-CCM snipers, plus CCI markers--probably 30+ in total over the years...you want a CCM marker.

I think CCM's pump, autotrigger, and internals are the pinnacle of design. No other maker's product can compare, in my opinion. I have used some frames that I liked as much as CCM's frame, such as the Dye single hinge. But since you need a CCM grip frame to use that autotrigger, you're kind of married to the mob when it comes to the frame.

Look, I've built at least a dozen sniper pumps where I started off with a non-CCM body and added the CCM parts I thought were essential. The end result IN EVERY INSTANCE was a price point equal to a used CCM. And when I wanted to sell it later, I wasn't able to get NEARLY the resale value of a "real" CCM marker. Didn't matter that performance-wise, some were just as nice.

So I see your options as:

1. Get a real CCM, use it, love it, and/or sell it someday for about what you paid
2. Get a used sniper with a LOT of CCM stuff on it already, probably pay a little more over the months/years as you get it fine tuned to your liking, and hope that someday you'll get out of it what you bought it for (not including the upgrades)

I think there are some players who actually prefer the phantom. In my experience, that is less than 1 in 5 players...at best and all else equal.
Dr. PhunkyPants is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 06:22 PM   #27 (permalink)
MCB Member

Thank you everybody. I found this whole thread very useful, and I like the way it was boiled down by Dr. PhunkyPants:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. PhunkyPants View Post
So I see your options as:

1. Get a real CCM, use it, love it, and/or sell it someday for about what you paid
2. Get a used sniper with a LOT of CCM stuff on it already, probably pay a little more over the months/years as you get it fine tuned to your liking, and hope that someday you'll get out of it what you bought it for (not including the upgrades)
I would add:
3. Chilax and keep enjoying my phantom setup. I have never shot a CCM, and I don't know what I am missing.

I am going to put a CCM on my wish list because it seems really hard to judge the relative quality of different custom CCMed sniper setups.
jellyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 08:04 PM   #28 (permalink)
abandoned SCPer

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by jellyghost View Post
I am going to put a CCM on my wish list because it seems really hard to judge the relative quality of different custom CCMed sniper setups.
I was in a similar situation when I started. I had bought a VSC phantom as my first gun and it was great, but I was looking into snipers and had no idea where to start.

That is the problem with buying a used sniper/converted cocker build. Unless you're experienced and know the quality of the different brands of parts out there(and its almost impossible to know all of them) its hard to know what you're getting yourself in to.

If you have the money and know nothing about snipers or cockers a CCM is a great marker. (I am currently looking at purchasing one)

If you have a friend that is experienced at building cockers/snipers ask them if they can help you out with a build. (this was how i got started on snipers)

The nice things about building your own sniper are:

1. the customization factor: for example I have an ANS 90* frame on my reflex sniper that no one I know likes the feel of except for me.

2. price point. You can get 80-90% of the performance for 50% of the price if you're willing to deal with a few hickups along the way(tuning, leaks, etc) and you will learn a lot about working on markers.

Do whatever you feel will make you happy and dont feel obligated to shell out $500 plus if you're not sure you like the platform.
Penarol10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 04:55 PM   #29 (permalink)
Summer's a-commin'

If you're happy with your Phantom at the moment then stick with it. Ultimately, the point of paintball is to go out there and have fun, it's not to:

(spoiler alert)

whore guns (/spoiler alert)

I've played with Phantoms and CCMs (and others), and while the CCMs are very, very nice, they're not for me. Most of my playing pump has been with single tubed nelsons so the sniper platform felt awkward. Sure, I could have gotten used to it, but if I'm already having fun using something else that is just as reliable I saw no need to switch.
Old 11-02-2012, 06:03 PM   #30 (permalink)
Just crusin...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellyghost View Post
What makes a converted autococker desirable? If I wanted to buy a converted autococker, what is the best base model to convert?
Really, its all up to you and your style of play. Many pump players lean towards autococker based pumps because of all the options for upgrades. Almost anything inside a 'cocker can be tweaked or upgraded. Most people I know that build their own autococker pumps have told me there is really no difference between autocockers except for the year (pre 2k vs 2k+).

CCM's are great looking, very smooth and have lots of color choices. They are basically a made to order maxed-out autococker based pumps. Good luck to you, as the hardest part of ordering a CCM is choosing the colors!
Spiffy is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » New To The Sport