mcarterbrown.com  

New To The Sport Just started playing? Been playing for a while, but you have a question you should have asked years ago? Drop a line, we answer

Old 11-06-2012, 03:16 PM   #1 (permalink)

Rehydroing tank questions

I've been out of the sport for a couple years and was wondering about my old compressed air tanks. I currently have a 68/4500 crossfire tank (expired in 2009) Would I still be able to take it and be rehydroed, or because the hydro already lapsed they would just destroy the tank?
Dopamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 03:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
MCB Member

As long as it is not past its life of the tank [born on date + 15yrs] it can be rehydroed. As long as it passes they'll mark it and you can keep on using it.

"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud." -Sophocles

My Pyre #PY008 RF Oak Grendel's Feedback on MCB
Grendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 03:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
MCB Member

It all depends on the born date. I think all the tanks have a 15 year useful life before they become useless. So you could essentially get 20 years out of a bottle if your bottle is a 5 year rehydro bottle.
Dysturbed87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 03:27 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks, should be good to go then I think it's only 8 years old.

Back when I used to play a lot it was all about LP/HP tanks, I was thinking about getting a CCM but I hear they run on low operating pressure anyways. You think I would need a new reg if the tank was currently LP?
Dopamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 03:53 PM   #5 (permalink)
AKA Baby Ollie

Send a message via AIM to Marmaduke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysturbed87 View Post
It all depends on the born date. I think all the tanks have a 15 year useful life before they become useless. So you could essentially get 20 years out of a bottle if your bottle is a 5 year rehydro bottle.
Just dropped off my tank at the center in town, and they told me it's 15 years from the "born on" date. You can re-hydro it 3 times if it's a 5 year hydro (some are 3), but you still only get 15 years from the born on date.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.
A5OG Feedback 12/0/0
eBay Feedback 5/0/0
Marmaduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 04:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
MCB Member

From what I have seen and understood is that if the tank is rehydro'd prior to the 15 year mark that it would carry the tank another 5 years (like do it a month prior to the 15 year mark). I have seen it like this and had one like that, but then again it is possible that it shouldn't have been done or worked like that
Old 11-06-2012, 04:10 PM   #7 (permalink)
AKA Baby Ollie

Send a message via AIM to Marmaduke

Just called these guys and was told it is 15 years from the "born on" date, not 15 years of being in hydro.

American Paintball Tank Hydrotest. Paintball Hydro Test service
A5OG Feedback 12/0/0
eBay Feedback 5/0/0
Marmaduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 04:11 PM   #8 (permalink)
MCB Member

I was under the impression that despite any rehydro date, if the tank passes its 15th birthday its done. I have a feeling a lot of fields just check the rehydro date and never look at the born on date though.
OPBN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 04:41 PM   #9 (permalink)

I know of people who play with tanks that are in hydro but past life. Most fields definitely only check latest hydro date.

I don't think I will do so when my tanks are at end of life, a tank is a lot cheaper than getting killed. Besides, most of the time its the person who fills the tank and not necessarily the owner that is at the most risk. If your end of life tank blows up and kills someone who is filling it, it's probably going to be called your fault, in hydro or not. Therefore, a new tank is also cheaper than lawsuits and maybe jail for negligence or something.
BlueTrane2028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:19 PM   #10 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueTrane2028 View Post
I don't think I will do so when my tanks are at end of life, a tank is a lot cheaper than getting killed. Besides, most of the time its the person who fills the tank and not necessarily the owner that is at the most risk. If your end of life tank blows up and kills someone who is filling it, it's probably going to be called your fault, in hydro or not. Therefore, a new tank is also cheaper than lawsuits and maybe jail for negligence or something.
There is the logical answer and the best one at that. Safety is the biggest thing in the sport, so something as cheap as buying a tank is the best thing to do if a tank is pushing the end of it's life or has cracks/gouges in it

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » New To The Sport