mcarterbrown.com  

New To The Sport Just started playing? Been playing for a while, but you have a question you should have asked years ago? Drop a line, we answer

Old 11-26-2012, 02:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
Post Whore

Eye protection and lens distance to the eye?

So, pretty much all paintball eye protection has an absurd amount of clearance between the lens and the eye. Is there any particular reason why? ASTM regulations?
-=ArchAngel=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 02:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Usually, it has to do with the spacing of the rest of the mask and the foam.

If the lens was right up next to your eyes, then the rest of your mask would either need to just out or cling to your face, which doesn't help breathing, bouncing, and pain of hits at all.
aresfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 02:46 PM   #3 (permalink)

probably not as low profile mil goggles sit a few mm off the eye balls (dependant on style) and I have had no issues with fogging, the old paintball masks used to sit on the face with usually a strip of foam over the bridge of the nose to add "comfort", what are you looking to do?
chaindog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
Yes, that is a joke ---->

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
I'm going to guess, 'universal fit'. The more you snug up the mask to the face, the less face types you will be able to fit. Add prescription eye-glass clearance to the mix, and you get what we have now.
ta2maki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
Doesn't care (/◕ヮ◕)/

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
I think it may just have something to do with astethtics and function than ASTM.
A mask needs to have a guard over the mouth as well as a lense, I'm assuming it looks better to keep the entirety of the front plane of the mask the same.

I don't always play pump, but when I do, I prefer a rotor.....stay agg my friends.
JLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:16 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

i prefer it this way. my brows aren't as pronounced, so if the lens is too close my eyelashes might brush on the thermal lens inside like i do on some glasses, and then everything gets blurry.
heinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:52 PM   #7 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ta2maki View Post
I'm going to guess, 'universal fit'. The more you snug up the mask to the face, the less face types you will be able to fit. Add prescription eye-glass clearance to the mix, and you get what we have now.
This^^
Old 11-30-2012, 01:01 AM   #8 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaindog View Post
probably not as low profile mil goggles sit a few mm off the eye balls (dependant on style) and I have had no issues with fogging, the old paintball masks used to sit on the face with usually a strip of foam over the bridge of the nose to add "comfort", what are you looking to do?
Oh! Nothing in particular. I was just thinking about how hard it is to aim down a marker with a stock when wearing a paintball masks and how much easier it would be if they were smaller. Plus, i noticed how some military goggles (as you mentioned) have less clearance between the lens and the eye hence why i asked about eye protection rather than the mask in its entirety. But i guess the universal fit thing is probably the best answer.
-=ArchAngel=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:18 AM   #9 (permalink)
The Largest in NH

Keeping the lens farther away from the face keeps sweat from dripping down the inside of the lens as well. Dye i3s and Save Phace gogs are 2 examples that have terrible issues with that due to how close they are to your brow.
OSG Paintball is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » New To The Sport