mcarterbrown.com  

New To The Sport Just started playing? Been playing for a while, but you have a question you should have asked years ago? Drop a line, we answer

Old 12-04-2012, 12:10 PM   #11 (permalink)
BudgetBaller 2.0

I understand what you mean by how big/heavy your setup is. I use a mini , empire b and 68ci and i think its heavy. The tank and hopper are what make it hard to use. I just bought a TiPX and a Phantom and out of the 2 , I would take the phantom anyday. Light, air efficient and a great feel. I am now looking to sell my pistol and get an open-class pump like a Sanchez Machine

Even myself I find using my mini I would get hyped up and start using paint way more than I wanted to and made it hard to control with the light trigger. The Phantom forces me to slow down and actually makes me use less paint which I love. Moving on to pumps over my electros made the game better for me and suggest the same for yourself. Like heinous said , the hopper makes a big difference and thats why I dont like my invert as much anymore
bricew25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:10 PM   #12 (permalink)
The Man With No Plan

CCM Fan
PBN Fan
heinous hit it right on the nose

lighten up the ion
get a lighter hopper (velocity jr, revy, sportshot, BE 50rd, spire)
get a lighter/smaller tank (the peanuts and 13/3ks are great)
maybe throw a drop forward to scoot your tank even closer...
super_stanchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:38 PM   #13 (permalink)
Fortune and Glory

Send a message via AIM to Crimson Death

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by super_stanchy View Post
heinous hit it right on the nose

lighten up the ion
get a lighter hopper (velocity jr, revy, sportshot, BE 50rd, spire)
get a lighter/smaller tank (the peanuts and 13/3ks are great)
maybe throw a drop forward to scoot your tank even closer...
I use a winchester on my Gog Enmey.

Maybe even flip the tank around to make the gun super compact.
Crimson Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:03 PM   #14 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by heinous View Post
honestly your ion setup sounds perfect for your playing style. i know i would use it if i'm stuck with an ion.

if i was to suggest a gun for you i would suggest something like an empire axe, but it's so similar to what you already have that the difference isn't worth the 400 bucks.

if you find your setup too bulky, maybe it is your tank. i use a 45 ci tank when most people use a 68 cubic inch tank. the places i play have all day air. there's no point to have a large tank since fills are no longer charged per filling.

if you have an old halo, get rid of it. they're heavy. use something newer and lighter like vlocity or maybe rotor.

other than that, just trigger discipline can save you some paint. get out of that shooting-a-rope mindset.
Agreed^,check out the BST threads here for a new(used) hopper and tank,the Hammer 7 pump by Kingman is out soon too,seems like alot of bang for the buck,theres a thread here on it,cant miss it theres over 100 posts,at around $130ish for a new gun you cant beat it!Also there is a the eNEMy,a mech Ion by GOG that seems to be another bang for the buck marker,also a review/thread here
Welcome to the forum!
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
punisher068 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:19 PM   #15 (permalink)
Lord of Bones

As most people have said, try to lighten up your current setup, one thing that makes a huge difference for me is barrel length, there is a ton of wasted space in longer barrels, and you get a much much tighter setup if you switch to a shorter barrel. I personally prefer 10 in. ones.

So the tightest electro setup would probably be mini with a 10 in barrel and a drop forward, with a tank and hopper of your choice.
Myrkul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:27 PM   #16 (permalink)
Low skill High enthusiasm

Ok, on the purchase list are,
13/3000 gorilla air tank
Winchester or sport shot
drop foward???
maybe a 10 inch barrel (currently rocking a 14)
It's easy to justify the 13/3k because I can put it on my next gun (my fields fill air for free)
I just don't want to have an ion for a money pit, it seem to happen to a lot of guys.
Also, if I can snag a Tipx or C/A phantom for cheap I might look into it.
Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:29 PM   #17 (permalink)
Aces and eights

Fan of EMR
Brass N Wood Fan
There's lots of good ideas here. VSC phantoms are very easy to switch to direct feed and constant air, too.
Feedback
Axel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:39 PM   #18 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda View Post
Ok, on the purchase list are,
13/3000 gorilla air tank
Winchester or sport shot
drop foward???
maybe a 10 inch barrel (currently rocking a 14)
It's easy to justify the 13/3k because I can put it on my next gun (my fields fill air for free)
I just don't want to have an ion for a money pit, it seem to happen to a lot of guys.
Also, if I can snag a Tipx or C/A phantom for cheap I might look into it.
i don't think you're going to need a drop forward with that tiny tank. i would test the ergonomics without it first, putting the drop forward in your 2nd round of buy list. tank might actually be too small capacity-wise for an electro lol, but that would be a good thing if you are training yourself to play limited paint.

i recommend some kind of electronic hopper to avoid needing to shake loose some stuck paintballs. on the other hand, your ion has eyes, so it shouldn't need some super fast hopper to prevent chops. so maybe a used revvy. if you want new hoppers to avoid cracks, maybe a valken v-max? according to the official video (always take official videos with a grain of salt...) it's lightweight: Valken Paintball - V-Max Loader Weight Comparison - YouTube

i've heard the primo loader is a very good gravity feed loader, might wanna look into it too. it's definitely going to be lightweigt since it has no batteries...

if you want to avoid that money pit trap, all you gotta do is simply do NOT buy ion upgrades. make sure all your gear can be moved to another gun.

that means NOT buying the barrel, unless you plan on upgrading to another smart parts gun, which doesn't seem like what you need. i'd just stick with that 14 inch barrel for now.
heinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:43 PM   #19 (permalink)
The Man With No Plan

CCM Fan
PBN Fan
If you are gonna shoot the 13/3k on the ion
Grab a qev so you can have some efficiency

Ion upgrade order for me was always
Feedneck
Qev
Barrel
Trigger
Asa
Reg

Sometimes its easier/cheaper to go find a tricked out ion for $100-150

Build up 1 ion how you want, then resell the leftovers ion
super_stanchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:57 PM   #20 (permalink)
Hesperia,ca

This is lite I'd say 2.5 or so ill try to find a digi scale but I really like it I use a sports shot hopper soon may go 10 tubes
river031403 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » New To The Sport